Looking at 997 C4S | FerrariChat

Looking at 997 C4S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Perfusion, Oct 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    There's a 2011 C4S at a local place that specializes in high(er)-end pre-owned vehicles that I've been eyeing. It's dark grey over black, PDK, 21k miles, new tires. It has black, factory wheels (10-spoke) that I've never seen on a 997 before, but that said, I like 'em.

At any rate, are there any issues in particular I should be on the lookout for with a car like this? Carfax is clean - shows 3 previous owners in CA and NV.

If I were to proceed, does one PPI a newer Porsche like this as you would a Ferrari?

Thanks in advance, all...

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Yes on the PPI.

The 997.2's (2009-) are fairly bullet proof. If you check the rennlist forum, you see very few issues coming up on these cars. A 2011 would still be CPO car?

I bought a 2009 Targa 4S back in May, and haven't had any issues. I use it as my daily driver. Have put on almost 4000 miles since I bought it. PDK is awesome.

3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Always get a PPI. I would have it looked by a porsche shop. They can run a DME also. Very strong cars.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have a 997.2 C2S (2011). Love it.

If you do a search here, I think you will find a thread by Dom when he was looking, which had a lot of good Porsche-related advice in it.

At any rate, definitely get a PPI. You should also be able to find 2011's that are CPO'd, which adds 2 more years to the original warranty. I'd look closely at the tires, and if they're anywhere near to the end of their life, replace them with all new rubber and get an alignment/balance. I did that, replaced Bridgestones with MPSS, and the car handles even better now, almost telepathic.

I've had mine for 19 months & 18 K miles, and I love the car; I've bought it with only a few less miles than the one you are looking at, and so far, knock on wood, the only warranty issue has been the cup holder, which my wife made me fix! :)

T

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
  6. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks for the input, everyone... Without trying to blow up my spot, here's a link to the car:

http://roadsport.ebizautos.com/mediaviewer-2011-porsche-911-carrera_4s-used-11251136.html?imageindex=1&plugin=true&tab=0

It's a RoadSport in Campbell, CA. As it's not a Porsche dealer, the CPO thing is out the window. I'm not big on aftermarket extended warranties, so I'd just be keeping my fingers crossed for nothing catastrophic. However, I must say that I would be putting a great deal of faith in the "German car reliability" factor here. Granted, I know this isn't a Lexus, but it's not a Ferrari either. When I read about scary, $1000 repair bills, I smile. These are obviously people who haven't lived with a Ferrari for 10 years. What scares me are repair bills that start with the number "5+," and that's if you're considered lucky. ;)

At any rate, as mentioned before, the car has brand new rubber all around - installed by this dealer - so that's one less thing to deal with. I've sat in it, but haven't driven the car. It has a black Alcantara headliner, the interior otherwise looked clean - nothing obviously aftermarket. The sales associate did mention that a previous owner added the rear spoiler, but he thought it was a Porsche part - I have no idea. I assume that it can be undone, if necessary, though I don't object to it that much.

That's pretty much it... Take a look at the pics, check out the dealer's site (if you wish), and see if there's anything that jumps out at you - good, or bad.

Thanks!

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    That looks great!! The wheels are like mine, but look like they've been painted black, which is what I want to do with mine eventually.

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Looks like a nice example.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am looking at a '04 6-speed 997 C4S convertible and "brain farted" about the pre-purchase PPI, thanks for the reminder.