991 GT3 Market | FerrariChat

991 GT3 Market

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by njcycleguy, Nov 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    #1 njcycleguy, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    By now, most who are interested know the story of the 991 GT3. 2014 engine replacements, 2015s going over MSRP on the used market, and the impossible task of getting a 2016 allocation unless your a 918VIP. And the RS? Forget about it.

Rumor has it 2016 is the last year of the 991.1 GT3. That leaves the only option for many of us interested in acquiring one the preowned market.

I know there's already a big 991 GT3 thread with some occasional talk about values, but I hope this thread can be specifically devoted to the current market value and experience on it.

Here in Northern NJ dealers are marking the cars up 20k over MSRP. There seems to be a half dozen or so used ones for sale in Florida between 5 and 10k over MSRP. It seems higher MSRP cars seem to take a while to sell while lower optioned cars sell fast. And then of course, there is the wonder over the elusive asking VS sales price. There also seems to be a tremendous amount of white cars available.

Curious to what you are all seeing in your respective parts of the country and your experience, especially as we enter the winter months.

2. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    About a month ago, a guy I know put his 14' Saphire Blue w 7k miles up for sale at MSRP and had a buyer at full ask within days. He wound up having sellers remorse and kept it.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i thought some late 2014 cars didn't have the motor issues...

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    None of them had "motor issues" in the USA.

PCNA simply replaced all the engines of early 2014 cars with new units with the updated hardware purely as a precaution, and updated the production records to reflect the new engine numbers (COAs show the new engine numbers).

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    well then let me rephrase.... the late 2014 did not require engine replacements

6. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    If I understand correctly, the cars that had motor swaps done after delivery to the customer and/or were on the ground are worth less on the open market than the ones done at the factory. I'm not sure if this is 100% true however.

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct, because by then new units with the updated hardware were ready at the works for installation at point of production.

8. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    joe -

is there a serial or production number that denotes the "crossover" ?

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    shame the motor replacement cars are forever tainted....

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not at all, Porsche Ag replaced the engine with a unit when the car's were considered new and/or still in production, and noted the upgraded unit's number in their system. 2014s bring @ the same in the market, whether the upgraded unit was put in at the factory or at the USA dealer. It comes down to spec & miles.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #11 joe sackey, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't have that, but I do have a list of the 20 cars that Porsche offered refunds to dealers under the buyback program.

These cars were subsequently sold and IIRCC each one brought MSRP or over despite a few miles.

Actually, I think there is a great story behind these car showing Porsche's commitment to heir customers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    so just 20 cars had motor swaps after delivery or ?

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No. Porsche offered refunds to dealers under the buyback program for 20 cars, purely as a form of dealer/client support. That's the list above.

All cars produced to the point of the recall received the upgraded engine.

As a result, the bottom line is, all GT3s that you can buy today have the exact same engine, either put in by Porsche at point of production at the factory, or put in by the Porsche dealer at point of delivery as a new car, or nearly-new car.

Its actually pretty straightforward.

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    total number of cars to receive engine swaps globally was 785; ~200 were US cars (never saw an exact number). supposedly a lot of them were stopped in transit or held at dealers so customers never drove them with the original engine. I recall one dealer in ATL had 3 or 4 GT3s in their showroom, still in delivery wrapping, waiting on the new motors.

I've heard that some were done by dealer employees assuming they were "master technicians", and some were done by a traveling team of techs from Germany. can't make any claims to accuracy of that.

at any rate, I'd have no reservations buying one with a swapped motor. if you're worried about provenance or future resale, then it's an excuse to take it to the track and beat it like a rented mule :D

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    everyone i know and talk to ..... nobody would touch a 2014. just saying.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #16 GuyIncognito, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    talk to different people :)

quick look on cars.com, DPR, etc I don't see any discernible difference in prices between 14s and 15s, so somebody is buying them...

17. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    all the more reason to just buy a 15....

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Always make yourself happy for any reason, real or perceived. There are even a MY16s available.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    to each their own :)

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    No you need to hold out for a 17. Wait maybe a 19. No, the 20 will probably be best. But perhaps the 21 . ......

22. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I happily bought a '14!!!

I agree wth Guy. No on on the Porsche boards makes the distinction any more.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Hurley Haywood's answer to the question, "what's your favorite Porsche race car?"

"next year's"

:)