My 993TT has an older brother now | FerrariChat

My 993TT has an older brother now

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by tuttavelocita, Nov 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    #1 tuttavelocita, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So Im taking it old school this time around, even older than my 993TT. After a failed start to a restoration project that involved finding a car, agreeing on a price and then having the restorer push back the start date 2 months and then change his mind on the price and try to increase by almost a 1/3 of the original price. I finally decided enough was enough and went to a reputable well known shop to find my perfect car.

Now they had a lot of perfect cars including a bunch of 4 cam cars and even a 904 that was for sale. But i was there for one car..... a 56 356a Speedster restored in the original white on red. The dealerships sales manager picked me up in another 57 speedster that I was also contemplating but due to its non original color combo (although amazing combo of stone grey/red) I opted to make the deal for the white one.

Pics from the dealer....and ill have pics once its up here in my hands!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Amazing how something so simple can be so beautiful to look at.

Great color combination.

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Stunner. Congrats!

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #5 Bullfighter, Nov 10, 2015
    Congrats and welcome to the white Speedster club. Coolest car ever made! But I'm biased.

I like the '56 cars because you can get the pre-overrider bumpers and the beehives.

What chassis #?

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    That is super hot. Congratulations.

7. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks everyone, itll probably another week till it gets up here.

Hey Jon

Thanks, its chassis 82298. Matching engine, trans and deck lids.

H

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Most excellent!!

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nice find. Mine's a month earlier, 82191.

10. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    nice! Only 1 more week and itll be up here. I flew down to costa mesa and drove two cars. One was stone grey/red and looked amazing. However at the end of the day it wasn't original paint scheme, but original motor and such. Also White/Red has always been the combo i wanted.

11. turbo3.6

turbo3.6 Karting

Dec 10, 2014
    amazing looking car,

12. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Very envious. One of the odd aspects of the current Porsche car marketplace is how 356 valuations have quit climbing while later cars have gone nuts. I have three aircooled turbos at the moment, would love to swap one for a speedster if I could find one like yours!

13. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    356s and early 911s shot up from 2010-2014 and made the later stuff look like relative bargains. We used to be able to find 356 coupes for $25K-$30K: really nice ones are pushing six figures now. Open cars have always been higher, and 356 cabriolets are now where Speedsters were in 2005-2007.

Also, and this is just my theory, but 356s tend to be held for the long term. Newer cars tend to change hands more often so we may see more speculation in the post-1975 market.

(But compare 1950s/1960s Porsches to similar era Ferraris and the German cars are still a raging bargain.)

14. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Agreed, I think the speedsters will just keep climbing for the time being. The two at canepa are being listed at just under 700K. They aren't even 4 cam cars, which are in that 600-800 range already. Give it another 5-10 years and "run of the mill" speedsters will be topping 1m for good original examples.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They're not Carreras, but they are phenomenal cars with 20 and 41 miles on perfect restorations. That's probably the top of the pushrod Speedster market.

I'm guessing they'll continue to rise slowly over time.

I passed on a '72 911S at the time I bought my Speedster in 2009, though, and in hindsight should have done both...

16. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Even then I've been offered fresh restoration cars with all original everything in the 425K range. They are a bit high, but will get it because they are canepa.

17. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    not to stray waaaay OT, but to beat the drum on a continuous refrain of mine: All this makes early classics valuations look like crazy bargains. A Duesenberg SJ roadster profiled in this month's SCM sold for $1.4M

18. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #18 Bullfighter, Nov 16, 2015
    No doubt. But the price rises for pre-1974 Porsches were/are due in part to their being sports cars, and very reliable and driveable even today. I drive my 356 at least once, usually twice a week, and have picked up dry cleaning and done small grocery runs in it. It's 60 years old but because Porsche is still integral to automotive/motor sports culture, kids from 10 years old know exactly what it is.

A Duesenberg is an historic car and relatively inexpensive considering its manufacture and importance, but I've never seen one used for anything other than parking on the concours lawn. It's something you admire and read about in books. It's $1.4M for a museum piece. Which reminds me again of my favorite print ad (reposted here):

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #19 4CamGT, Nov 16, 2015
    Congratulations! I'm a huge fan of the early "Bee-Hive" 356A's! I also have a matching numbers/colors '56 Speedster. Chassis 82236. I've had it since '99. I looked specifically for a bee-hive. They are really special. They were even hard to find back then. I love the no over-rider look with bee-hives. A bit of trivia for you, the early bee-hive A's have Carrera bodies. They are unique in that they are pre-equipped with all the Carrera brackets, dry sump oil tank holes, removable engine pan and wiring loom. Both my Speedster and my '56 A Coupe have these unique details. Many restorers have removed these thinking someone has modified the car!!! Bee-Hive A's are "the ones" to have. All the visual charisma of the pre-A's but with the better A chassis. I also prefer the A Speedster 3 gauge dashboard to the pre-A two gauge. Really the "first" pushrod Carreras!

Freeman

20. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Thomas. Great cars you have there. I for one am envious. BTW... Thank you for your fabulous design work on the many cars that still catch my eye.

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Michael,

Thank you :) The '71T soft rear window Targa (one of the very last) and the real deal "Lufthansa" 914-6GT belong to a friend of mine. It's funny, a few years ago, these three Porsches would be tagged ugly ducklings than no one wanted and many criticized their looks. Today it's a different story!

Freeman

22. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Beautiful speedster 4camgt!! Post more pics!

23. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'll second that. I have a TT parked next to the Speedster. Both get compliments.

24. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Well my car was loaded on the transport truck making its way up the coast to PDX. Im excited to get it, hopefully we get some decent sunny days.

25. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Los Angeles Porsche Speedster Dealers Los Angeles Used Porsche Dealer

Looks like it had coupe seats when delivered -- which is probably a rare option, but no way I'd want those in a Speedster. Looks and feels much better the way yours is set up. I think McQueen had those in his '58 originally (based on a racing photo in Matt Stone's book) but swapped them out later.

I remember my first ride in mine when it was (finally) delivered. There is no substitute.