Quick question re: K-Jetronic injectors | FerrariChat

Quick question re: K-Jetronic injectors

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bigodino, Nov 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I have a 1983 SC and according to the mechanic the fuel injectors need to be replaced. I'm not technical but after some searching about K-Jetronic fuel systems I find it odd that they should be replaced. Maybe the O-rings or maybe having them cleaned, but what else can go wrong with the injectors themselves? TIA

Best, Peter

2. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    They can get clogged and the fuel pattern can change. I sent mine to RC Engineering in
    Torrance,Ca. For inspection, cleaning and flow pattern test.

3. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Dirt and sediment is an issue with this system. Yes the injectors can be cleaned and most of the better services will offer a flow read-out. If you have clean injectors and they ar not all balanced it can still effect the idle and fuel values.

There is also a MB K-jet inkector that fits this application that last I checked as in the $30 range. They are about 3/8 shorter.

Great resource for K-jet
    DeLorean parts, Delorean fuel distributor, CIS fuel injection Parts, Delorean parts, Porsche Mercedes

If there is not alot of miles on the car you may also want to concider having the fuel distributor gone through. There are several in line filters as well as sediment that develops in the distributor robbing perforrmance. If you are handly I have a write up on rebuilding it yourself and infor for sourcing the propper neoprene Orings.

David

4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    erosion within the injector has not been mentioned... the bore in an injector can "grow" from erosion / wear... which affects the spray pattern and amount of fuel...

5. billswim

billswim Rookie

Jan 31, 2014
    Oakland ca
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I've had very good luck cleaning them in an ultrasound machine with a hot, water based solution

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the additional replies. Meanwhile the work has been done and the difference is night and day. The engine runs excellent now.