Which Ruf is this? | FerrariChat

Which Ruf is this?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Bullfighter, Nov 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #1 Bullfighter, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think that's it.

Matt

4. secretcollector

secretcollector Karting

Aug 4, 2013
    The Motor City
    It is a 993 Turbo converted after the fact to RUF R Turbo specs.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #5 texasmr2, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Which does not make it a true RUF conversion, right?

6. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    #6 CarlosMM, Dec 6, 2015
    I believe secretcollector is right, that is a RUF R Turbo, that one is a beautiful car and popular on Rennlist.

As i understand it, there are 3 categories of RUF automobiles: 1) RUF cars all assembled to spec in Pfaffenhausen, Germany, home of RUF, which have RUF VIN numbers (RUF is recognized as a standalone auto maker by TUV Germany); RUF produces only about 20-30 of these cars per year, so cars with RUF VINs are very rare; 2) cars that started as Porsches, and then converted to RUF spec in Pfaffenhausen; these cars have Porsche VINs, but considered pretty much built to full RUF spec; and 3) RUF conversions where RUF sends a team to their authorized dealer abroad (let's say in the U.S. or Japan), and the conversions are done locally. I think that car is in category 3, but nevertheless is considered a true RUF conversion.

The RUF CTR 2 is easily identifiable by its unique and functional rear wing, which creates a ram effect to force air into the twin side mounted intercoolers in the rear fenders - the Porsche 993 Turbos, and I think the R Turbo, have a single intercooler mounted atop the engine. All RUF CTR 2s and CTR 3s are RUF VIN cars, although I believe there is one CTR 2 among the 30 or so built where the factory was able to fit a regular Porsche rear wing rather the CTR 2 signature wing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. secretcollector

secretcollector Karting

Aug 4, 2013
    The Motor City
    Carlos, you wrote about exactly the reply that I planned on this morning - spot on and well done.

8. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    I don't think it was part of the conversion but I think there are a lot of Turbo Rs that have another intercooler in front below the front bumper.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #9 BMW.SauberF1Team, Dec 6, 2015
  10. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    I think that white Turbo R has recently had the aftermarket side skirts removed. Agree, very nice car, and a lot of work and passion went into it.

On the intercoolers - I have never seen one of the RUF front mounted ones, but I would not be surprised at all given the intense engineering passion that Alois Ruf puts into his cars. What is more common is the additional engine oil cooler mounted under the front bumper, to augment the front fender mounted oil cooler standard on most 911s. Porsche Motorsports and many of the tuners use the front bumper mounted extra oil cooler.

One other cool feature separate from the moving bits in some of the RUF cars is the RUF Internal Roll Cage (RUF IRC). Beautiful in design and execution, the RUF IRC is highly functional, but almost invisible unless you look for it. Porsche really should have offered this on its cars, even as a very expensive option. A big plus for anyone looking at RUF cars, if the car has it.