Help with GT4 decision... | FerrariChat

Help with GT4 decision...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Chupacabra, Jan 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Hey guys, I'm considering selling my 348 and my 993 and grabbing a GT4. Seem to be plenty available.

Problem is, I'm concerned I may really miss the 993 and the 348. I don't think there's any right or wrong answer here, but I'm curious to know what some other's opinions are.

Stupid? Hell yes? Have at it please :)

Thanks!

2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Viper acr. Go drive one.

3. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I have never driven a 348, and have always wanted a GT4 (even before they were the cool, new kid). But I have had the pleasure of driving the wheels off of a 993, and I would miss it.

4. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Allow me to offer an outsider's perspective. As someone who has neither owned, nor even ridden in, any of the aforementioned 3 vehicles, I feel pretty strongly that you should keep the 348 and 993. I suspect you've grown curious with the "faster, better" concept of the GT4, and it indeed surely is in almost every way. However, as someone who was a teenager in the 90's, if I were offered (today) a 348 AND a 993, OR a Cayman GT4, I'd pick the duo every time.

Those cars are iconic in their own individual ways, and the GT4 may one day be as well. For now, it's the new, cool kid on the block. Next year, it may not be. Price wise, the GT4 will likely depreciate at least a little by next year, but your
    348 and 993?

Now if it's simply a numbers game - you've found that with 2 cars you drive neither as much as you thought, nor as you would if you just had 1 "wonder car" - then perhaps go for it. It's not a bad position to have to be in, I must say!

5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Tough call. 993 aned 348 are great cars. However, even though they may not be depreciating assets, they are not necessarily appreciating (could debate the 993) and require a significant amount of revenue to maintain. The GT4 is an outstanding car. I really liked mine, but like some of my others more so I let it go. The GT4 is new, has a good warrenty and will likely hold its value for a while. The GT4s had been going for 20-30K over MSRP, but over the last few weeks they are down to MSRP or less. I would go with the GT4.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think the first cars that would go down in values when we hit a slowdown would be the ones you have (not only these..). Cars like the 993/964/348/TR/328 etc. Some 348s are going for $70-$80k..or more in Europe. So if you bought these when they were $30/40k, now would be a good time to exit and get into something new. The GT4 could be it. It looks super nice and apparently is a great drive. I dont think it will appreciate in the near future, and it looks like they are already losing their premium.

Drive one and if you love it, go for it. Who knows, in a year or two when the market has cooled off, you can add a 348 for $40k.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    However, having checked your profile, i now would say, keep that 348. It looks way nicer than any GT4.

8. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Yeah, my 348 is pretty special. I'd probably miss it badly

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the appreciation, depreciation, etc. They're cars, which means its all kind of a crapshoot, IMO. I do sometimes lament not having the time to properly exercise all of the cars, so going to one would help there...but I lose the contrast I love so much. The GT4 is appealing to me because of its rawness (by modern standards) and yes, it's new so it probably won't require too much upkeep for a while. Plus, I had an '06 Cayman S and always thought about how great a Carrera S powered, race inspired version would be.

I just had all three sports cars in the shop one after the other, which is admittedly rare and not an ongoing concern but also a big pain in the a@&! So that may have something to do with it :)

Thanks so much for the opinions - I'm considering every one of them!

9. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the GT4 is no 911, the GT4 is Porsche's entry point to those not able to step up to a 911...nothing wrong with the car... had GT4 Club Sports track testing for Daytona this week, early indications are they should do well in their class... still they are not a GT3... if in need for a daily driver, a new car is nice...

10. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    The GT3 is ultimately a faster car than the GT4. It's also more expensive and positioned above the GT4 in the Porsche hierarchy. But it bothers me anytime someone pulls out the "not able to afford a 911" comment. I don't own either car, but I've driven both. That someone could prefer the driving experience of the GT4 to the GT3 is entirely possible.

A GT4 is no GT3, as you say. But a GT3 is no GT4, either.

Same goes for standard Boxster, Cayman, etc... I know several owners that just don't like 911s and some that just prefer mid-engined cars. Different cars for different driving experiences.

11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Ummmm...have you seen what they cost? :) GT3, sure, but you can get a Carrera S and then some for what the GT4 goes for in many cases. I just can't consider that an "entry" car.

I may be blasted (by some) for this, but...until Porsche reintroduces the manual to the GT3, I will not own a post-997 GT3. Which probably means I will never own a post-997 GT3, though I have heard rumblings to the contrary. The differences are part of the GT4 appeal. Simpler, manual, mid-engined, and it looks pretty stinkin' cool!

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Same here. Different strokes.

13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it's not for you to decide ( whether "entry" or not ), Porsche corporate already made that decision... the brand runs with the big dogs... which means the brand will take a big bite out of ones' resources regardless where one starts :=)

14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I refuse to subscribe to the whims and desires of corporate ninnys. Even ones whose existence I bless every day :)

15. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Sooo...I decided against it for now. While I reeeally want the GT4 and feel it's a perfect car in many ways, my 348 is a real hoot and would be hard to replace, I love the 993 dearly (as does my wife), and I don't feel like creating a financial hole and have no more garage space anyway. Decision made!

Maybe I'll sit on it for a few months and see how I feel after that. Interesting thing is, 5 years ago a lot of people were remarking that I was "crazy" for selling my highly praised Cayman S and purchasing a 348, now I'm mostly being advised that I'd be "crazy" to buy the uberCayman. Guess I was right after all :)

16. m3doc

m3doc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2008
    Love the GT4 but still going for a 20-30K premium above MSRP in my area. Will wait a while until prices become a little better. Beautiful 348 by the way!

17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    You know, the 348'is a great car just starting to get its due and the 993 is... Well it is a 993. Nuf said. Cannot go wrong either way.

18. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    You likely won't miss the 993 after getting the GT4. The 348 is in a different vein, definitely worth keeping.

The GT4 is no 911 GT3, but we're about to push 400whp on the GT4 with bolt ons. There is definitely more potential to be had from the 991 derived engine. It's a deviously sharp car and the handling can't be beat. I think that's what I like most about it, just how crisp it is in an age of cars with excessive nannies and electronic this and that. It feels like a race car for the street.

The angry exhaust note of an uncorked GT4 is very distinct as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvHMXiN5wCs

19. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Same here! I haven't completely given up on the idea :)

20. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Awesome! As mentioned prices are highly inflated at the moment, but should come down later this year.

As a strict manual purist myself, the auto-blip feature on downshifts is both incredibly amusing and useful. If you haven't test driven one yet, when you do it will become your favorite car. :)

21. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Problem is...I could have spec'd one to taste with no markup, not sure I'll get that opportunity again, but you never know. Still not sure I made the right choice, honestly, but at least I have two cars I love sitting here!

BTW, I had a fabspeed on my Cayman S and loved it! I have plans to fab up the 993 :)

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Go for the GT4. You won't regret it.

23. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Awesome, thank you for your support! Any way around it we'll take care of you!

24. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thanks for making killer stuff! Saw some of your 355 wares on a TV show yesterday and started thinking it's time to get some of that stuff on the 348, too! :)

25. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Gotta love that Car Fix episode! I'm here whenever you are ready! :)