991 Turbo S/ Turbo / GT3 | FerrariChat

991 Turbo S/ Turbo / GT3

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by nucley, Jan 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    Hi,

I'm looking forward to buy a new 911. I will use it for daily drive, and sometimes make some laps. I can't choose which one is the best for me, can you tell me your experience?

Thanks

2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    go to a Porsche experience center ( Atlanta ) and put both through their paces...

only then will you be able to decide

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Id buy a GT3 if you dont have a winter with snow or freezing temp and if you dont need rear seats. Id also take a look at the 911 GTS with manual gearbox.

4. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    I didn't mention that now I've got 991 GTS with PDK and it's perfect car, I'm going to sell her for good money, so I'm looking for new one. New Turbo's look amazing, and I drove already 2014 Turbo and it was perfect, only bad thing on them is that they are loosing their value really fast. About GT3 I'm not sure - its really low for car who supposed to be for daily drive.

Sorry for my english, It's not my mutual language.

Thanks

5. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    For everyday, go with a Turbo or Turbo S (test drive them and see what you think). I know guys that use them all years long as DDs. A few friends with GT3s love them for the track use or spirited Sunday drives, but find the ride too stiff and punishing for use as a daily driver. A few of them have a 991S or 997S (or 997C4S) for every day.

Granted we don't live in a part of the country where the roads are all nice and smooth, so a really stiff suspension can get very tiresome quickly as a DD. But if you live in a place with nice smooth roads then it might be a moot issue. Good luck!

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    You're English is fine, and I assure you it is better than 99% of our contributors' Czech! :)

I'd have to second the GT3 idea. Very civil car (I think), especially now that the auto is the only option. Not as brutally fast as a Turbo S, of course, but far more motorsport oriented and certainly not down on power. As for it being low, I think they offer front bumper lifts now, don't they? Admittedly, I know noting about the roads you have to navigate, so even a lift may not be a practical solution.

7. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    #7 willwork04, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Get the front end lift on the GT3 and it would be a great daily. It all depends on what you want. A comfy, numb, rocketship or a car with character.

Go drive both, you'll know then. You are the only one that can truly answer the question.

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #8 cheesey, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    anything the brand offers has abundant character, the top of the line up is technically superior, while the GT3 is a superior racer in class, augmented by aero and other track packages, it is a watered down version ( by demands of class race rules ) of the potential the brand can bring... it gets down to personal preference... enjoy a car in GT form or pose in the image of a racer

9. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    Yeah, they offer front bumper lift system, but I've experience with my GTS, which is even higher than GT3, that I had a problem go over the speed bumper, because on some places they are really high. GT3 seems fine, price is good, it looks perfect and its rear wheel drive. Is there anyone, who know, when they're gonna release facelift version?

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Just realized my English is NOT fine - I wrote "you're" instead of "your" in my previous post. What a dunce I am! :)

I would imagine it won't be too long on the face lifted GT3...maybe a few months after deliveries of the new 911s begin?

11. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I have both a 2015 GT3 and a 2010 Turbo PDK. They are apples and oranges. The GT3 is killer on the track and for spirited driving, the Turbo is great for everything else. I'd advise being realistic as to how much track driving you will be doing versus how much street daily driving you will be doing. I track my GT3, but in reality it is very few track miles compared to just driving to and from the track, plus the other street driving I do with it. If you can afford the 991.2 Turbo S, that would be my choice. I've been considering trading both the GT3 and the Turbo in on a new Turbo S, actually, as it would seem to be the best of both worlds, especially with the new Sport modes that are available. Except for the sound, of course. The GT3 sounds incredible.

One more thing - I'm pretty sure you can get the front end lifter on the new Turbos now, so if you go that direction I'd advise opting for it.

12. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    Do you know, if new GT3 will be natural aspired or turbo too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #13 cheesey, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    NO to turbos or to any other goodies... The GT3 in the car model designation refers to the racing class the car is designed around, as such, a lot of options Porsche has to offer are prohibited, to stay within the bounds of class rules / eligibility to compete... there can be other GT3 cars from other brands and include it as part of their brand identity for their particular model... that is the reason a turbo S is technically superior to the GT3 as it is not restricted by any racing rule... for Porsche to provide cars to current GT3 rules, engines must remain naturally aspirated

your current GTS can be a better technically performing car than a GT3, assuming the power and aero/track packages are taken into consideration, there is a lot of stuff built into the all wheel drive, chrono , sport packages etc that help the car perform