Expert Help with purchase decision | FerrariChat

Expert Help with purchase decision

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Mondial83, Feb 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I'm looking at a 2003 911 turbo with 26 k on it.

Is this a good year and model to consider?
    Main issues?
    Maintenance annually?

Thanks

2. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the turbo did not have IMS issues. Best to check though.

3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The 03-06 Turbos are considered bullet proof. Dreichman is correct, they did not have IMs issues. I had a 2001 996, hated the interior and sold it. I just picked up a 2008 C4S, love it.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had two both highly modified both turn to RWD, and my neighbor has one with the X50 package and his is modified (though still AWD but I helped with the rest of the changes) as well. Never had a single issue, the Diverter valves are terrible first thing I did on both was replace them. On a 2003 I would probably change all the hoses as well there are much better products than the stock stuff out there. Easy car to maintain, and not expensive either. PM me if you need any help, I've owned 40 Porsche's know them well. Good luck

5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    2003 + will give you no problems at all, especially if it has been kept stock.

6. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    I owned a 2002 996 Turbo for 10+ years
    Absolutely the most reliable Porsche I've owned in 36 years of P car ownership
    Diverter valves (99% of them replaced by now), coolant tank (cheap, mine didn't need it) and clutch slave/accum (again most replaced by now) are only issues. Again, most have had these relatively small items replaced by now. Engine is Mezger block, essentially bulletproof and does not have IMS issues. Unless car has been "modded" (i.e. boost turned up to max) they are ultra reliable. Have a complete PPI done (paint, wrecks, over-revs, etc) and enjoy.

Bill

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the 996tts don't get much love from die hard Porsche guys for some reason. I'm not a big Porsche guy but ive always loved the 996tt. mine has been bullet proof even after upgrading to bigger turbos etc from EPL. And you can drive it in the snow with snow tires which probably doesn't meant much to you. in my opinion these cars are immense values right now. don't hesitate to get one

8. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks for all your help guys. I'm still thinking about it. This is such a nice 911 TT that I just don't know if I can refrain.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    do the turbos have the coolant line issues like the GT3s do? that's the only potentially catastrophic issue with metzgers that I'm aware of (and that's not an engine internal problem, easy fix/upgrade).

but yes...very underrated cars and one of the last values in the 911 world. buy one before people catch on ;)

10. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    a few more thoughts

1) generally, the 996 era Turbos are "good cars", if maintained and any issues addressed proactively. Lots of "good values" out there.

2) "purists" (whether in fact, or their own minds) prefer the 993, and as a former 996 GT3 and Turbo owner, I would agree the 997 is a big step up, but the 996 is solid for what it is

3) 996's were not Porsche's best work in terms of dynamics and fit/finish, but still are good to great cars. Might just be me, but the 10-15 year old cars that were optioned up seem to offset the original 996 interiors and make a difference

4) nice thing about 996 platform, if you get a solid car for a good deal, there are a LOT of options out there to enhance the car.....the Porsche aftermarket provides a lot of good, sane improvements for engine performance, reliability, brakes, chassis....for reasonable cost

if you haven't already perused, Rennlist is a great resource for these cars

11. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Does 48,995 sound like a fair price for a twin turbo 03 26 k on the clock
    Like new condition inside and out