2007 Cayman S | FerrariChat

2007 Cayman S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by UroTrash, Mar 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #1 UroTrash, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had one for 5 years. It was great. I used it for everything including several long road trips, Walmart runs and track days. I replaced it with a 2012 Cayman R.

Dave

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Anything particular you like about the Cayman?

I'd imaging there's a lot of fun options in that same price point that might be worth considering.

4. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Pre-2009 Boxsters, Caymans, and 911s have the potential for intermediate shaft bearing problems.

5. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Except for the 911 996 twin turbo 03 to 05 has Mezger engine no IMS issues

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm a mid engine guy. I think the Cayman is the prettiest car since the Dino.

2 MR2s, loved them.

Boxster S, loved it.

Dino, adore it.

Porsche 997... Competent and boring. We called it "The Camry".

Yeah, mid engine.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's my understanding the issue was resolved early in the '07 model year. As it is, I don't know of a failure in a Cayman but I admit I don't follow forums closely.

Dave

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Great on the track. Had the distinct pleasure of chasing one a couple years ago in my M roadster.

Can't say as I'm in love with the looks, and "Best looking car since the Dino" is kind of insulting to any number of great looking cars, at least in my mind's eye.

And if you're going that way, why not a Boxster S redux? Or are you one of those, "been there, done that" kind of car guys, like me, who refuses to repeat, even if the car was great?

On the upside, price seems about right, at least in comparison to some stuff on cars.com

D

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #9 UroTrash, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    No, I like Boxsters, I just think the Cayman is "just right".

So, what is as lovely?

I would think Maser GT? Yes.

Other than that I come up dry (south of super cars, of course).

As far as repeats, I'm very guilty. BugEye. MR2. 2002. I buy the same car over and over.

10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I drove one for a summer including some laps at Road America; loved every second of it. The Cayman S is a great car in every sense. Superb balance and adequate power. I've considered picking one up many, many times.

Mark

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    OK. Thread drift. Please critique this particular car.

Thanks.

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Looks pretty good. Price is right, good color not a TON of miles, go for it

when you get bored with it, call me. :D

D

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    another round of the ol' "let's buy a Porsche and not drive it, then unload it on some poor unsuspecting schmuck" game, eh Dr Trash?

well you're in luck. I love the color.

;)

seriously though, that looks like a nice car. I'd ask why a) the radio says "protect" (hopefully not a lost radio code problem) and b) the rear spoiler is in the up position (insert "happy to see you" urologist joke), get a carfax and durametric readout, and the price is Mazda dealer selling a luxury car high (should be ~$25-26k). but it has potential. and I really do like the color :)

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    #14 Scotty, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    I had a 2007 Cayman S, 2 year lease. I was SO done with it at 6 months. The reason may surprise you--it was sublimely fast on the track, and it was so competent on the street that it was boring. To feel excited I felt it needed to be abused, or the traffic laws had to be abused. I couldn't wait to get rid of it (and my current daily drive is a 991 C4S which I love).

I don't remember the available options list. The Bose sound system is worth it (not that it is great, but the stock sound system SUCKED to my ears). I found the stock exhaust note boring, and wish I had opted for the sports exhaust (of course, you can solve this in the aftermarket). Mine did have the rear wiper, which matters in Oregon but it may not to you. I don't remember if it offered the range of seats, but I really like the adaptive sports seats.

I'd make sure it has the stock brake pads. Those cars have a unique isolator/vibration thingy on the pads (I don't know a better way to describe it) that really helps decrease brake noise. After I toasted my stock pads on the track I went aftermarket, and while the pads worked well they were really noisy (and I have a Lotus Exige with race pads, so I can tolerate a certain level of brake noise). Somebody added clear side marker lights--that is a nice upgrade. I think I may still have mats and a cigarette lighter for mine--if you buy this let me know and I'll send you whatever parts I have.

Edited thoughts. I think the DME records overrevs. I think you need to take it to a Porsche dealer to get the read out, but this might be worth it. This car has bad axle tramp on hard acceleration (no, I wasn't abusing it, but because the roads here are wet 6 months out of the year, there are lots of opportunities to try to accelerate in dicey traction conditions). It doesn't have the Sports Chrono package, which doesn't add much other than the clock wart on the dash. My guess is that it is a lightly optioned rig. Extended leather was also an option--makes the car smell nice. Last point--when getting stuff out of the back watch the exhaust--I still have a scar on my leg from the third degree burn.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Car looks pretty basic, not a lot of options does not look as if any modifications were done to it. no doubt they are a great drivers car, I don't know what those cars are going for these days, one of the Porsche dealers local to me has a 06 with the same miles (looks to have more options including Bose) for around 25K.

16. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    From a 2 minute Google, it appears it is a list code, $150 at the dealer to correct.

Will be easy enough to check the spoiler.

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Good advice and observations from someone who "has been there"

Interesting you mention the idea of competent but boring. That was my feeling about my 06 997. I have driven 2 different Cayman Ss. I would not describe them as "exciting" by any means...but they were fun.

I don't mind basic cars. I'd have roll up windows if it was an option!

Fortunately, my hearing is so bad that sound systems mean nothing to me! :)

18. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Uro--I have driven 911's since the early 90s, wanting one to check a box on the life time list of cars every "car guy" should own and drive. I found them all wanting until the 991--so I do agree with you, the 997 didn't do it for me either. Although, I'm wired a bit differently in the car I most wish I had back was my Datsun 1970 2000 roadster, and the car I own that I feel the most connected in is my Lotus Exige S (great connection, less than great quality).

19. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm probably "preaching to the choir" here, but the fact that you're looking at a Cayman tells me that you value a car that is beyond the average mainstream automobile appliance. Moreover, you probably value the type of fun driving experience that is found in a sports car. And so do I.

I'm fortunate to have had both a 911 and a Boxster (which, as you probably know, is pretty much a convertible Cayman). I loved my 911, but the Boxster's handling is simply outstanding - it dances around corners like a ballerina. It's just plain FUN to drive.

The 911 (in the hands of THIS amateur) felt heavier and I had to work harder to get it close to its handling potential. The power was exhilerating but it wasn't as much fun to drive as the Boxster.

All in all, they're both great cars, but I smile more in the Boxster. And I think you'll smile, too, in the Cayman. Buy it.

20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a 996tt, a 987 Boxster base and an 77 930. The car I enjoy the most is the Boxster. Phenomenal handling, steering feel, very practical with 2 trunks, and just the right amount of power.

21. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I would look for a 2009 car if it fits in the budget. It has a bit more modern dash and a better DFI engine

This car is pretty spartan - no Auto a/c, leather, power seats, etc. Makes it a bit tougher to sell when it comes time to move on. Also the grey interior is quite reflective near the top of the dash. I would choose black interior if you are in an environment with a lot of sun

22. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    My Cayman S had the grey interior--dash reflections happen, but they never bothered me.

23. fondueski

fondueski Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    AZ
    I would get a PPI to at least check the overrevs. Early Caymans (06 to 08) have an oil system with vulnerabilities to severe overrevs, especially under high g conditions - like on a track. These vulnerabilities can be remedied by an experienced mechanic with a few relatively inexpensive mods if you ever intend to track the car. I have an 07 Cayman S myself, and I love it. You can find LOTS of information at PCA Cayman Register, PCA Cayman Register.

24. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I had an '07...one of THE best cars I've had the pleasure of owning. Caymans remind me just enough of the 993 in size, feel, solidity, etc., which I consider to be a very, very good thing. Mine was a pretty base car that I added a Fabspeed exhaust to (I'd recommend either aftermarket or the sport exhaust - really fits the car well. Also, I'd install a limited slip dif and one of the available oil system upgrades), and to me that seemed to fit the character of the car perfectly. I came out of a C6 Corvette and had the exact opposite experience of a previous poster -- I felt I was able to enjoy the Cayman S much more responsibly on public roads. It's not the kind of car where you nail the throttle, then look down a second later and see you're already in "well you see, your honor" territory. At the time I bought my Ferrari, it was an either/or proposition for me. Now I have a 993 as well, but I would not rule out getting another 1st gen Cayman S at some point. I'm in LOVE with my current cars, but there are still nuances of the old CS that I miss.

25. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #25 kiesan, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Uro/op... you would love this car for a 2nd unit to have hanging around. You like "basic", well, this is it. Just the basics aka good stuff.

My extra "kick around" "2nd" car the last 6 years is a 987 base Boxster upgraded with an '07 Cayman S 3.4 engine, Cayman S 6 speed, a Quaiffe diff and a thousand other factory-ish bolt ons.

It is a blast every time I drive it. 34k miles in 6 years. I nicknamed it my Porsche Civic it is that reliable.

The 07/08 3.4 engine has the very last and most robust ims bearing design. There have been very few failures with this version. It can indeed be upgraded like previous years however the engine case has to be split.

There are not many other bugaboos. Nothing a car guy can't sort out or deal with. The particular car you're looking at looks great if it passes a ppi. As far as options go, I consider the fewer the better with this type of car.

I say do it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login