Restored 86 1/2 928S | FerrariChat

Restored 86 1/2 928S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Killing Time, Apr 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
  2. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    That's a nice one! BTW, don't bring one to any dealer as a trade -- they offered me $ 2,500 for the '86 928S! Just spent over $5k last fall for service alone. Ended up selling it to my sister for more.

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Nice examples do bring good money now. Add in the low miles and a 5spd, car does deserve a premium. I might be biased the 85/86 S is my personnel variant favorite even over the GTS. You can find them for a lot less. But they are just above parts cars that's drivable for that money! Sure you can find a few gems for around $5k. But for a real nice example with low miles, its near $20k now especially a five spd.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    While I think this one is a good buy, even up to $20k. If I wanted another S. I have an 85 S exactly identical to the one my Dad bought new. Id look for an 86.5 in Europe. In 86.5 they updated the suspension, brakes and exhaust to S4 specs. The North American engines still only produced around 288hp. The euro spec produced 310hp as claimed by Porsche. Dyno testing has revealed a little more then the given number with the exhaust update. Some wrongly believe the S was given the S4 engine. No just better exhaust.

Anyway, a Euro spec in an S body is basically an S4 like underneath. Would be the perfect start to a 928 collection. To make it really good and rare Id try and find a spoiler delete optioned. You'd get the first gen style with S4 performance!

this would be good, too bad its auto https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/porsche/928/1986/348967

5. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #5 Zeus, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree that a '85 Euro 5-speed 929S is one of the most desirable 928s. And if you really want a car like your dad's I may have the answer for you. I have too many cars and need to get rid of the oldest in the stable. I've had several Euro 928s and this one has been my favorite. It's a Euro spec 5-speed we imported new to the US in 1985 and is fully optioned, including triple tan/black leather. It has the 310 hp engine, ABS (not then available on the US cars) and great exhaust.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Nice car. I already have it. More important its in the exact Prussian blue on blue interior.

The S is my favorite model. I like the body style. The S4 and GTS look too big and heavy in my opinion.

In Euro trim the S with S4 updates is the just the best option to own if you want an early 928.

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Talking of rare & desirable, I'm still looking for an SE here in the UK. How many were shipped to US ?

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I don't think any SE came to North America. In fact for 88 I think it was only in the UK as a model designation. By 87 and the S4, the HP rating was the same worldwide except in the Australian market. The only difference between North America and Europe was visual, marker lights, rear bumper different shape, etc.

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Subscribed to see how the auction ends up...

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    do you still have your 928?

11. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes. Grey '86 5.0L, ~40k miles, 5spd.

Still hunting an electrical gremlin that's putting into a "limp" mode...

14. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    I watch the BAT auctions daily. The other Porsche that is gaining recognition is a stock, low mile 944 Turbo with records. An '88 944 Turbo S sold for $34K while two non "S" models recently sold in the high 20's. It appears that good 928's and 944T's are being dragged along with the stratospheric prices for air cooled 911's.

15. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Yeah, nice ones are going up. Both are tough to find in real nice shape with detailed service history.

The one car I kick myself for not buying was a factory 944 turbo cup car. At the time 1998, you could get a nice turbo for under $20k. The seller wanted $28k. At the time you could get an 1989/90 911 Carrera 4 for $30k. So I passed. The seller lived in an apartment on the Lakeshore near downtown Toronto, had two parking spaces. He had a few cars. Kept them at my friends warehouse building. He gave my friend and me permission to drive his cars to keep them running. So I drove it a few times. He also had a 1991 M5 and a 1978 Mercedes 6.9. and a few other cars he kept in Montreal. I took the 944 to the Porsche dealer to confirm it was a factory cup car. I bet you could get over $100k now for a cup car!

16. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    I bought one of those low mileage, records back to 42 miles, 1988 944 Turbo's last fall so I have been watching these auctions very closely.

I had a fellow track day friend who had a 944 Turbo cup car back in the day. It was very fast.

One of the highlights of my wife's driving career was beating another lady driver,who was piloting a 944 turbo cup car, with our normally aspirated 1983 944 track car. It was at a time trial event at Waterford Hills Raceway in Michigan in the early nineties. It is a very tight track so horsepower was not as advantageous and my wife drove very well. I was only a tick faster than her in the same car.

17. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    The car is going to be at the Werks Reunion in Monterey. Come check it out if you're attending Monterey. The restorer/seller whose 5-year project is documented in this epic thread http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/669754-my-penance-letting-the-cat-out-of-the-bag.html will hopefully be there as well. Duplicating the work on this car in any 928S would be a massive undertaking; finding another 5-speed/LSD/sport chassis 1986.5 32V car as a comparable basis for the work would be essentially impossible. Granted, I'm biased ;). But I do think this is a remarkable machines and quite the restorer's accomplishment.

18. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    +1

19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    David, when I watched the bidding I had no doubt you were ending up with the car. I will say again, as someone with a fairly extensive collection of 70s/80s supercars, the 928 is a very special, very advanced, and incredibly underrated and misunderstood car that is worthy of values far greater than the current market gives credit for. You will never question the purchase or the price paid moving forward. I look forward to seeing the car at Werks. Congrats and enjoy in good health!

20. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    #20 deichenb, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Thank you Chris! I knew we shared similar good tastes, but I didn't realize you were a 928 fan. I see that in your profile now. I appreciate the kind comments. See you in Monterey.

21. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, I have a few and the 86.5 is the perfect blend of classic 928 styling and modern engineering.

Here is a thread of a 78 OB Jim Doerr is restoring for me:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/porsche/510144-1978-928-5-speed-241-restoration.html

22. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Spectacular thread and spectacular early car. Perfect combination, as mentioned late in the thread (5sp+sunroof+pacha+no rub strips). Great find and congrats. I look forward to seeing it complete; maybe for Monterey 2017?

23. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    This car is further evidence of how much value can be added to a car by documenting a build on a forum. Not only do the readers get to know exactly how the car was put together, the builder has access to many eyes watching for potential missteps. I have documented a number of car builds and am always grateful for people pointing out a potential problem. It's much easier to fix something during the build than find an issue after the car is back together.

Besides enhancing the value of your car, these build threads are a huge information source for future project car builders. Besides documenting my builds on a forum, I also place them on my car blog. There I can see which builds have the most interest. I can also see where in the world the hits are coming from. There are many days that I get more hits from foreign countries than the USA.

24. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great point, Jerry.

25. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name: