356 Speedster Replica | FerrariChat

356 Speedster Replica

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Darryl, May 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darryl

Darryl Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I have owned several Porsche 911's, Ferrari 348 Speciale and a 360. I currently own a Panamera. I want to purchase a 356 Speedster replica. My son has already given me lip for this idea. He's not giving me the money to buy it.

My question? A Beck replica, Vintage Speedster and / or a Intermeccanica. I am concerned about the suspension and this I believe is the real decision to make with a speedster replica. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Any other direction, thoughts, idea's and or / concerns would be appreciated in my future purchase.

Darryl

2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I have owned 2. Fun cars. A JPS and an IM. The IM is LIGHT YEARS nicer vs anything else out there. There is no comparison. IMs have following that keep their values up...the others are just Speedster reps.

3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
  4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Why your son is against this? Is it the 'replica' vs real that he is having issue with?

5. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
  6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #6 4CamGT, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Some of the replicas are set up really nice visually depending on your taste. If the aesthetics are tuned to your taste, I would look at the chassis and drivetrain as an important factor. VW changed their chassis to IRS in '68. That's the one you want if it's VW based. Lots of options on VW and Porsche motors including Subaru based. This is also a personal choice with pros and cons. Intermeccanica is really the premium choice as they offer a bonded in chassis that accepts the 911 (up to '89) suspension. They also offer 911 air cooled power and lots of hidden features such as A/C http://intermeccanica.com/athird.net/testimonials. The level of Speedster replica has a lot to do with how you set it up and being knowledgable about all the details. Most enthusiasts accept Speedster replicas as a fun, carefree and more affordable alternative to a real one. They can be better performing than a real one with the right motor, gearbox, brakes, steering and chassis. Just don't expect it to be an investment like an original but should keep it's value.

Freeman

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Agree 100% with Freeman.

BTW, Freeman...still have you Vanagon?

8. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I own 3 real ones and have considered a replica. I'm sure it drives better

11. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    IM is almost finished with my girlfriends dad's car. It looks to me like their doing an amazing job. Plus, they are in frequent contact with him with updates and progress pictures. Seems like a top notch outfit.

12. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    I like that 550. Plus its close to look at. Are they worth 25 plus.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Also considering a 356 replica next summer. Need to get behind the wheel of one. Anybody have any driving notes they'd like to share? :)

15. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #15 Finlander, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I drove both a speedster and a coupe before I had mine built. They both drove fine but the coupe was more fun due to the higher HP engine and had wider tires. For a "cruiser" I think they are fun cars... but keep in mind no power steering and no A/C unless you install the under dash unit.

I had a coupe built. It isn't as enjoyable to drive due to the ride height (although its on air) and the front tires are very low profile so I have to be careful of pot holes, etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

These are selling points to me! Does it have a good visceral feeling with the acceleration?

17. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I would describe it as "involved" partly due to the steering feel and manual transmission. Of course this depends on the engine size you choose.

18. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    #18 Graz, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've owned a Vintage Speedster 356 Speedster for about a year now. I've owned various cars over the years from Ferraris, R8s, Astons but this Speedster gets more attention than any of them. For the money you can't beat them. They are beautifully built and authentic looking to a tee. I've had Porsche owners look over the car and stand in disbelief when I tell them it's a reproduction. They drive as you would expect for a car with 85HP (you'll never get a speeding ticket with one). But they are only about 1600 lbs so they do keep up with traffic. Just fun to own and admire.

19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks for the notes! That grey suits the car very well. Pretty car