What year 911 matches a Cayman S #'s | FerrariChat

What year 911 matches a Cayman S #'s

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by msdesignltd, May 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Performance wise.
    Handling wise
    Horsepower wise
    0 to 60 wise
    Nurburgring wise
    Would an air cooled turbo out run a new Cayman S???

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd think any Cayman would outrun any air cooled turbo around a race track. 993 turbo S and 959 might be the exceptions there, but I doubt it.

A Cayman S was only slightly slower than their contemporary 911, and that was by design ;) so I'd say a 987 Cayman S would be the equivalent performance wise to a base 997 Carrera.

3. ace51

ace51 Karting

Jun 30, 2008
    NC
    Cayman S might be faster but it doesn't have back seats

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 msdesignltd, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    screw it just buy a Panamera turbo s! that's silly fast for a big heavy sedan.

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    as a practical matter when 0-60 acceleration gets to the 4 sec range and lower, it becomes nearly imperceptible to the majority of those experiencing it, any differences measured in tenths of a second only confirms that one needs a computer printout of the timing... and the recorded results are needed for bragging rights when comparing printouts... the proverbial "by a nose" photo or visual at the finishing line timing light... so what difference does it make in the real world of fast cars as measured above... they are equal in performance to anyone in the middle of an experience of enjoying a good run

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    maybe with this guy driving....

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZMODhUS9Bo[/ame]

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    That's Stefan Roser. An amazing driver. I have ridden with him many times. He's afraid to fly though.

Freeman

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    when you can drive like that, there's no need to fly ;)

11. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    just think how much faster that car would be if it had a better grip...
    drifting scrubs speed off and is not fast... the current offerings from Porsche have evolved to provide better grip straight off the showroom

12. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #12 Fritz Ficke, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    I am curious why you want to know?
    For what it is worth, in my personal experience the Cayman S is a much better track weapon by any measurement than an old 930. Especially a stock 930.
    I own a 930, because I only drive on the track a fraction of the time and when I do I want to work at it. Since a 930 is way more of a handful to drive than a Cayman S it is much more interesting to drive to me, especially on public roads.

But if you are looking for a track weapon in a Porsche, a Cayman S would be a great way to get good lap times. Much more forgiving suspension, way less likely to bite you if you make mistakes with the throttle in the turns, ABS brake will protect you under braking as well as the traction control under acceleration. A driver who is fast on the track in a Cayman S, the same driver skill level will spin or wreck a 930. On top of that a Cayman S is way cheaper to buy and drive than an old 930.

Modern cars are just better when measured by the performance #'s than old cars. Debatable if they are more fun to drive, but by the #'s they are better.