Richard Sloan R.I.P. | FerrariChat

Richard Sloan R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ferraripete, Jun 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

sadly Richard sloan passed away over the weekend. a true Porsche guy. often scorned for his seemingly high pricing...he knew the cars, the market, had the rolodex and sold great examples.

r.i.p. Richard.

2. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    This is really really sad news. Selfishly I'm firstly sad because he was a excellent steward for the air cooled market and I don't think anyone will come close to filling his shoes. But more importantly there is a human loss too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is that the guy that has all the high end porsche for sale ???

i had heard he was sick forever

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm sorry to hear this. I never met him but I spent a fair amount of time on his web site, dreaming.

5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    wow,,,

I spoke to him a few years back, really nice and accommodating, he was willing to go out of his way to show me a car while he went to pick his son up from college. We chatted about cars and kids school, he really wasn't interested in whether or not I was serious. It left a positive impression on me despite the seemingly high asking prices in his web site.

r.i.p.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sad. He couldn't have been too old. Yeah, his prices were high; but I never brought a car from him. I just sold him one.

Sad, really.

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Sorry to hear this.

Well, I actually bought a car from him, it was everything he said it would be, a smooth transaction, and it was priced fairly.

RIP.

8. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Your 4.0? I think I saw a black 4.0 with ceramic brakes and red(!) calipers there. There can't be too many of those.

Anyways, I met Richard twice back in 2014. Even though he was in the midst of dealing with his health problems he struck me as somebody with a real zest for life and great passion for 911s. Glad I met him and definitely should have bought the cars I had gone to see. His "aggressive" pricing seems like a great deal in retrospect...

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What happened? Did he have cancer?

10. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  11. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Yes, and he seemed to be beating it...

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Too bad. RIP

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Met him once when I was disgusted looking for a boxer in 2013. Went to look at a low miles 993 turbo. It was not as nice as I wanted and did not purchase. He was nice and we chatted for an hour or so. He did have some nice early cars in the place that day. RIP.

14. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    I spoke to Richard a few times late last year when I was going thru the process to get my 79 930 appraised. He talked about the four 79s he had for sale at the time in depth. He knew I was not interested in buying one of his but just wanted to get some information. I heard he could be brash at times, but he was a real gentleman when we spoke. RIP sir....

15. Helios

Helios Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    Maryland
    I interacted with Richard in 2009. He had a 1984 911 for sale for $ 16,000. He was selling it as a personal favor to a friend. Even at this price he sent me several photos and answered all my questions.
    It's a real loss for the Porsche community and I send my condolences to his family.

16. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I loved his Excellence ads.

RIP

17. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Sad news. Dealt with him over the phone. At the time they didn't normally have 944's or 928's. He had an 88 S4 and at the time it matched my 85 928S 5spd. So I bought it. On price, it was high, but negotiable. Very easy to deal with. I just justified what my willing price was, compared to others on the market. He agreed. Most Porsches unless more rare, they get driven, some its a DD. So its tough to find low miles clean examples. In that regard its sometimes worth paying a premium for. Hope the business continues on. Great source for air cooled Porsches and rare Porsches in general. I'll miss him!