718 | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jgriff, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My wife wants a 718 Cayman S. The 718 Boxster is now available for test driving at our local dealer so we are going to drive one today and will place an order if we like it.

I'm not happy about the switch to turbo. I guess I'll find out today what a difference it makes. My daily driver is '14 Boxster S so I should be a good judge of the difference the turbo makes.

Anyone else driven a 718 yet? What did you think?

2. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Haven't driven one, but the few auto journalists that I follow are raving about the car. All good things...

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Please let us know what you think. 4 cyl turbo. Sound?

4. mike5876

mike5876 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    albuquerque, nm
    Full Name:
    Mike Szabo
    I work at Champion Porsche and drove the new 718 in Atlanta at training...car is amazing!
    Drove back to back with a boxster gts new car way better

5. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Chris Harris drives the Porsche 718 Boxster | Top Gear

"And so what we have here is a car that has lost a good deal of its emotional appeal. It is faster and, most of the time, more efficient. It has improved in ways that would be lauded in a family saloon car, but which are less worthy of celebration in a machine which is supposed to work more subjective magic. Despite the extra speed, I’d prefer a nearly new six-cylinder car from last year, but here’s the bit that will really stick in the craw of the opposition: even though Porsche has made the new Boxster less desirable than the old Boxster, it is still by far the best car of its type." - Chris Harris

This sums up what I have been hearing.

6. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    We drove a Boxstter S with manual transmission and sport exhaust.

I'd say Chris is spot on here. Everything that changed is better except for the engine. It's not bad, just not quite as good. I like a car that makes you work a bit to get performance out of it. The 718 is much faster but it doesn't rev as high or sound as good. The sound of the motor is much lower in tone and maybe a little louder.

That being said, we ordered a Cayman S with $29k in options. It's a fantastic car. It's lost a little character, but then what car hasn't these days? Such is the price of progress and excessive government regulation.

It's probably the best turbo I've ever driven. I have an Audi S7 twin turbo V8 right now that has MUCH more turbo lag than the Porsche. There's almost no turbo lag in the 718, not none, almost none. It's little enough lag that it feels more like variable valve timing in a Honda kicking in than Turbo. I don't think there's enough lag to make you feel like you can't predict what the motor is going to do. In my S7 I'm either going nowhere or way too fast, no in between. This car doesn't have that issue, it can be driven like a an NA car.

The interior is slightly improved and the electronics are better. The nav screen is much more like a modern cell phone now with pinch to zoom, etc... The overall quality of the car seems slightly improved, the doors seem a little more vault like when you close them.

I look forward to getting the Cayman but now I kind of want to keep,my 981S Boxster too because it's the last of its kind. I'll be trading the S7 to get the Cayman.

I would have preferred a new 6 over the turbo 4 also. The reasons we can no longer have NA high performance cars are political. We've had a lot of years of great performance cars since the 90s. Things may not continue that way without a shift in public opinion and a change of political leadership.

7. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We passed a 718 coupe going the opposite direction on one of my favorite two lane winding mountain roads. It was black and stunning. We were in our 2011Boxster S. My wife asked:what car was that?

Told her its was the new coupe version of the Boxster.

Her reply: oh. It looks completely different.

Doubt if l can get her out of the 2011. She loves that car.

I must say the 718 looks better in person than in pics, especially in black.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

How did the 718 sound?
    T

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Couldn't hear it over the sound of our car...and we had the top down. ;)

10. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I like the looks, kinda. I saw a red one here, west Oahu, the other day. I was following it in my metallic midnight blue 2000 S. What's lost in the new exterior styling are the sexy curves of old. The Boxster of late have become to angular and jagged for my tastes.

11. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    A poster on Rennlist said his dealer told him they were disappointed with 718 sales.

That would help explain all the TV ads for the 718 for the past few weeks. Porsche have sent me two nice books...really first class look to them, praising the 718. The first book was mostly about the old 718 racer. The one l got this week had all the stats and several glossy photos of the car which included the engine and two types of turbos...the smaller one and th larger S.

My wife looked at the book and said: that car doesn't look half as good as ours (2011 Boxster S). No sale.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I can't recall seeing such tepid reviews for a new Porsche. 😔
    T

13. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I drive a 2014 Boxster S everyday and have driven Porsches as daily drivers for a about 10 years. I drove the 718 and yes, I'd rather have a 6 cylinder. In the end though it's still a Porsche and a fantastic car. It's much faster than the previous generation. I don't really care much about the speed but a lot of people do. My wife's main complaint about my 911s and Boxsters has always been that they are too slow. She loves the extra torque in the 718. Maybe it's not a Porsche for the hard core fan like most people on this site are.

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Your thoughts on the sound?
    T

15. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    It's a lower pitch sound. The sound of a car is very important to me.. That's why I have a 355. It wasn't a huge difference from my 6 cylinder Boxster though. I knew within a few minutes of driving it that we would be ordering one for my wife. I've had 6 Porsches now. They don't make bad cars. I would rather it be a 6 but we ordered my wife a Cayman S with $30k in options, full natural leather,etc... It's going to be a great car but it's a daily driver car. If it's your only car and sound is important to you then you should get after market exhaust.

Bottom line... as long as we live in the current political environment cars are going to get worse and worse. You're going to have to buy an old car to get one that sounds good.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Cool. Thanks for your thoughts. I thought the sound of the 718 Boxster S at the dealership reveal party was fine. However, that was in a relatively small & enclosed space...T

17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    How would an after market exhaust effect the warranty?

18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I agree. I assume the newer one is the bulkier chap on the right...T

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Of course... Porsches just keep getting fatter.

My SC targa looks tiny next to the new Boxster, hell, it's smaller that the original Boxster.

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #21 Schatten, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I prefer the looks of last years boxster s.

But the performance of the new boxster for 2017 is enticing ..

If Porsche sales are a little slow for 207 it's the pricing.

As much as I admire the brand the pricing is somewhat ridiculous.

The s package, the PDK, the sport exhaust and sport chrono s, as well as pasm pushes the pricing up quite a bit...

Hard for me not to consider a 650 hp c7 z06 for the same money...

23. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    The option prices are very expensive.

24. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name: