Need some help, 1972 911e | FerrariChat

Need some help, 1972 911e

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Andrew@DiamondExchange, Jul 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew@DiamondExchange

Jul 23, 2014
    #1 Andrew@DiamondExchange, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Guys,

Long story short, I was offered a 1972 911e by someone I have done a fair amount of business with over the last 10 years. What I have been told...

Car has 137xxx miles
    Motor was rebuilt to 911s about 6000 miles ago. (said he has everything to put it back to 911e)
    It has been repainted
    There is a dent (pictured)

What is something like this worth? I do not have much experience in the Porsche world, and this just happened to fall in my lap. Any information would be helpful as I am considering taking it off his hands.

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm a bit suspicious of the engine build. Is the MFI still installed?

Why is the passenger side mirror out on the fender?

72 is the year to have, and E is the model to have.

4. Andrew@DiamondExchange

Jul 23, 2014
    #4 Andrew@DiamondExchange, Jul 8, 2016
    This is very helpful. Thank you!

Here are some motor pictures.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

webers or solex carbs. mfi long gone.

the e was quicker than the s due to cams producing nice power down low. I loved the e!!!

6. Andrew@DiamondExchange

Jul 23, 2014
    He says he still has everything from before the "rebuild" and said it could be "put back"
    Does this make sense? Does it make a big difference in value?

If the e was quicker, why would he have put the time and money into the "s conversion"?

Sorry for all the questions. This era Porsche is very new to me. I appreciate all the info

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  8. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    #8 jerhofer, Jul 9, 2016
    If you put the mirror in the factory location on the passenger door, you cannot see it from the driver's seat. It is basically useless as I discovered on the car pictured below. I assume that is why they mounted it on the fender. During this time period most of the cars only came with the driver's side mirror and it is easy to see why.

9. Andrew@DiamondExchange

Jul 23, 2014
    #9 Andrew@DiamondExchange, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Thanks for all the help so far guys, this had been a huge help. I am still doing my research but hope to get something worked out soon.

btw, we are a watch sponsor here on FChat so if I can reciprocate in any way whether it be buying, selling, trading or questions on certain models regarding high end watches I would love to help

Thanks!

10. union

union Rookie

Dec 15, 2014
    Sport Seats?
    Door pockets?
    How's the interior?

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Not a 911S spec engine without the MFI.

This is a big pet peeve of mine. People talk about their engine being built to S (or even RS!) spec and there are the Webers or PMOs sitting on top of it.

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If the cams, displacement, etc. were changed the original MFI pump may not work with that set up. You should find out why the conversion was done because if it was done because the injection pump is not functioning that will be a big expense.

Driving a 911 with properly sorted MFI is a very rewarding experience. Carb conversion is a big hit to value, at least for me.

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

I would price this 911E as a project with a lot of unknowns. Is it matching #'s? Overall condition of the body/floors? Any rust/damage? Who built the motor? What parts? What exact specs as to pistons, cams etc? Any receipts? What was the original color? All this affects value. What are your goals with it? Original? Period correct Sports Purpose (ST)?

From the photos, I would pay $40K for it if it was a good tub. Don't underestimate the costs for getting the right people to build a good 911. And, yes, I would keep it MFI.

Freeman

14. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    Hi Freeman- what would you pay for a numbers matching fully restored and sorted 72/73 911E with bullet proof history in the US these days? Prices in Aust have skyrocketed for top examples - what's happening stateside?

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Ross,

I would need to see photos and know more. IMO, certain original color specs makes a huge difference in value along with options such as sport seats etc. What comes with it also makes a difference such as original manual set, tool kit, receipts etc. I would prefer the "right" 72/73 T/E over an S with the wrong combo. These cars are about soul. Some have it, some don't.

Freeman