Bought a Carrera GT today | FerrariChat

Bought a Carrera GT today

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by emailchrisb, Jul 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emailchrisb

emailchrisb Rookie

Feb 14, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Woke up this morning with no intention of buying anything today. Stopped in to see a car broker buddy of mine. Left with a Carrera GT. Zero experience being around, living with, or driving these particular cars. Anybody got any earth shattering advice or just snippets of info they've picked up after living with the cars a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Very very special car. I love the CGT!

Clutch is very very tricky. It is carbon ceramic a first for a production car. Very cool because they can make it smaller in diameter which allows the engine to be lower.

The downside is that if the clutch glazes it is very expensive. As such Porsche has put in a strict throttle cut-off to protect the clutch when starting from a stationary position. This makes starting from a stop very difficult until you get the hang of it.

One trick is to just let out the clutch very very slowly without applying any throttle. This is painfully slow but one way to do it... Once you are moving it is very easy like any other manual.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    A lot of power and no stability control, be careful!

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    QFT.

I have no personal experience to offer sadly, but this is known to be a serious car. Enjoy safely and in good health! :)

Post a few pics if you get a chance.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have been told by professional drivers that it is a very tricky car to drive. Don't hurt yourself.

6. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Post some pictures!

7. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Stay out of traffic with it

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Have you driven it? A lot of people who bought one sold them very quickly because they didnt like the clutch and the way it works.

9. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wow-to be able to buy a CGT on a whim. As they say-you the man!
    J

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no advice but congrats :D

we need pics!

11. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    I have about 7000 glorious miles on mine. Use the auto-throttle. Trust the auto-throttle. Respect the power. Always drive with the tops removed.

Congratulations and enjoy.

12. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Pictures????

13. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Congratulations!! The Carrera GT is a one of a kind car.

Some thoughts from having owned 3 of them...

One gets used to the clutch after a day. To start from a stop...no throttle and release the clutch very slowly until you feel it bite. Other than the initial start off in first gear, every other clutch and gear change operation is like a normal manual car. Only real issue with the clutch is re-adapting to it if you don't drive the CGT for a while, or are driving other cars regularly - esp other manual cars.

Enjoy the noise - it sounds like an absolute animal with gear, intake and exhaust noise all coming in at different frequencies and intensities as you accelerate. It gets more and more manic as you go past 6000 rpm towards 8000 rpm, sounding like a 60s F1 car. Roof off for best effect!

Handling is much improved with new Michelin Pilot Supersports tires, and rear anti-roll bar set to full soft. Even then, not a car to be trifled with. Make sure the car is pointed straight when you get on the gas, and squeeze the gas pedal, never step on it. And do not lift if you enter a corner too fast - if you lift the car will spin. The CGT does not suffer fools lightly - it will bite your head off if you are not careful.

When not driving it, take a close look at its construction and you will find the CGT is built like a jewel. Hope you got the beautiful briefcase and matching luggage.

I have felt more alive driving a CGT than any other car. Enjoy the car, but be careful!!

RTP202202 likes this.
  14. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I find it a little ironic how many more responses you're getting on a Ferrari forum compared to how many responses you've gotten from RList.. :)

I would just echo what BusDriver had to say ^^^

and add..If you drive it often it can become addicting. The seat of the pants feel and the raw, mechanical, unfiltered driving dynamics of the car are pure pleasure.

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Thanks for the perspective

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #16 ryalex, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Congratulations!

That's easily my favorite noteworthy performance car.

18. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    +1 on all the above.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Some info from CGT owners who drive their cars:

First of all, fit your car with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (N0 rated!!!), highly recommended by Porsche, those that have driven with them say it completely changes the car for the better, you're now truly able to push the car and don't feel as if you're going to crash anymore constantly.

2nd, the clutch. Porsche has fitted it with anti-stall. Feather the cluch lightly, DO NOT touch the throttle at all until you're moving. It works on hills etc too. The moment you touch the throttle, it overrides the anti-stall and you're on your own. Just let the anti stall software do the work for you.

3rd...Congratulations and enjoy the car! You've bought one of the best drivers cars ever build IMO. It's VERY high on the want list for me.

20. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #20 rmolke85, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    You have great taste. I think it is hands down the best street legal car ever produced, yeah I said it. Just so many reasons most of which have been cited already. It still gets overlooked IMHO, and this clutch talk is funny. Its a serious drivers car that could take a lifetime to master 10/10ths for us mortals. But its also happy to putt around and do normal sports car driving with an open top too. It has a jekyl and hyde thing going on for sure.

A few comments on the clutch. The clutch is a simple system to use once used to it. Always measure the clutch before a purchase, if it is thick, then you are good to go. If its "glazed" it will lose grip high in the rev range when the HP's come on hardest. Might take a few drives until you get comfortable enough to see that action. If it does do that, porsche suggests that the new clutch break-in procedure should be used to re-ruff the surface with no ill effects. Search rennlist to find the factory paperworks.

I will offer my opinion on glazed clutches. I have a feeling that in the beginning 2004-05-06, when people were glazing them dealerships said yeah its slipping nothing can be done, you idiot you ruined it, get a new one, which is many billable labor hours. You often see a 1,000 mile car with a new clutch which isnt really a bad thing, but my personal opinion after talking with techs that have seen dozens of major services now, that shaving one down to the end is very very very tough. The clutch should go 40,000+ miles no problem at all. Common sense tells me that if the way to engage from a stop is to very slowly lift off the pedal and let auto throttle engage, as everyone here stated already, then maybe that action in itself also grinds the clutch on the plate and smooths it out a bit. Wouldn't seem like it would take much for it to lose a little grip and not have the intended forces to keep it from slipping. Thats what I think happens. Its a very advanced race car technology that porsche masterfully adopted to the street. Though not perfect, its integral to the character of the car

The free revving engine has a lot to do with the drive train. It just wants to keep pulling to 8400. A wild machine. Penned by a true artist, and engineered by the best in the business. Its a culmination/celebration of all the plastic endurance racecars before it. (904-GT1) And they have handed an extreme version of one over to the public. Its a crazy thought, but thats the reality. The last of the analogue cars that really matters, and a brutal thing when driven hard. Great great cars you just need to understand them and to talk to the correct people with experience.

And make sure your tires are not old.

Other than that dont take the traction control off ever, no need to. Best enjoyed topless.

21. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    As said in the previous posts, the one thing you have to get used to is the auto throttle system its very easy to forget and give it throttle while letting the clutch out like in any other manual car and you sometimes unconsciously do it, new tires are a must

Enjoy it, there is never going to be another car built like that its the last pure supercar in my eyes

22. emailchrisb

emailchrisb Rookie

Feb 14, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Pick it up tomorrow morning. Had them clear bra the whole car before I wanted to pick it up. Did get all the luggage with it. It's funny that after learning to drive on a manual transmission and driving them in everything from 18 wheelers to full blown NASCARs to exotic sports cars to motorcycles to heavy construction equipment, and dealing with the clutches that Underground Racing puts in their big power e gear gallardos, that I'm actually mentally psyched out about stalling this car. Ha.

23. emailchrisb

emailchrisb Rookie

Feb 14, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Any experience on the straight pipe upgrades that I've seen on YouTube videos, etc.

24. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    Mine is stock. I've thought about changing but it's so good as is. I would suggest driving it for a while stock before making any decisions.

25. emailchrisb

emailchrisb Rookie

Feb 14, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Picked it up this AM. Parked at the home garage.
    Gonna move it to the storage building tomorrow till I've got more time to mess with it.