Smell of burnt rubber and smoke | FerrariChat

Smell of burnt rubber and smoke

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Mondial83, Aug 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #1 Mondial83, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Hello everyone. I was out driving my 03 911 turbo the other day and I stopped to eat. While eating it poured rain I mean poured. I got into my car I drove about 13 miles at about 120 or so. I got to a friends house and when I got out I smelled a rubber type of smell I openend the hood and saw a tiny bit of smoke coming out. Also it seems like when I step on the throttle the turbo kicks in and it kicks up rpms it does not seem to bolt off quickly like it used too. It seems to hesitate and the turbo seems to be kicking in too soon or something? Does anyone have any idea what this issue could be.

Thanks

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Slipping belt? From getting wet?

3. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Hmmmmmmm God I hope it's only a belt slipping. Would that affect the way the turbo charger kicks in? Also the smoke was not coming from serpentine belt I can see that belt. It was coming from more like the area where you add power steering fluid right by that filler cap up under that area was a bit of smoke coming out and a smell of burning rubber. Is there a belt back there? The rain pouring in there and caused it to slip causing smoke and smell and turbo acting funny? I would assume if it was a belt slipping I should have that belt changed now?

4. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Along with checking the belt you might have the tensioner checked as well, it could be out of adjustment or worse.

5. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Or worse???????????? Yikes like what kind or worse?

6. billswim

billswim Rookie

Jan 31, 2014
    Oakland ca
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Fan belt has nothing to do with the turbo or power delivery. Zero. Does it feel down on power? Check engine light? Do you know what a slipping clutch feels and smells like? From your limited description that kind of sounds like a possibility. That car is designed to handle all kinds of conditions so I wouldn't count too much on the rain causing the problem.

7. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Well I do not know exactly what a slipping clutch feels like or smells like. It seems to shift fine so other than that how do o check this. It does feel down on power but turbo is kicking in seems to be not acting like it's getting its full power to the wheels. No lights nothing on computer saying anything is wrong. Where is the clutch located anyway? Small bit of smoke was coming from top pf engine. Smelled like burnt rubber.

8. billswim

billswim Rookie

Jan 31, 2014
    Oakland ca
    Full Name:
    Bill
    A slipping clutch is somewhat like what you are describing. When you really romp on it the revs go up but the car doesn't go any faster. The clutch is located between the engine and transmission. It is responsible for hanging onto the power the engine is putting out and transferring it to the transmission which changes the ratio of power application to the wheels.

A slipping clutch will also smell. IMHO it doesn't smell like burning rubber more like burnt eggs/sulpher.

If you don't have a check engine light on, the FI system is functioning normally. That system is very sensitive and will detect anything out of whack. So you can rule that out.

AWD cars like yours are harder on clutches than 2WD cars. How many miles on the vehicle?

You keep saying something like the turbo kicking in. The power delivery on that car is very linear and has very little turbo lag. The power just builds and builds.

Can you describe it more specifically?

9. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Car has 28k on it. I think it's the clutch seems all descriptions point towards that. Yeah you romp on pedal and rpms go up but car don't go any faster

10. billswim

billswim Rookie

Jan 31, 2014
    Oakland ca
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That's the clutch alright. Now you know what one smells like, lol. Kind of early for it to fail but if the car has been launched hard the AWD will really eat up the clutch. Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to LWF!