6 k for a new clutch? | FerrariChat

6 k for a new clutch?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Mondial83, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Porsche dealer just quoted me 6 k for a new clutch in my 2003 911 turbo. Wow!!!!!!!!!
    Holly **** batman it's not a Ferrari. Does this sound about right? And how the hell did I burn out my clutch in 3 k miles? I don't try to burn rubber at take off I I never grind gears miss gears etc??? WTF this is suppose to be a bullet proof model. No way I did that in 3 k miles.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The clutch is really tough to get to in 911 Turbo...according to my indy mechanic.

The car has over 27k miles on it right? You have no idea how the previous owner(s) drove it.

Best.

3. billswim

billswim Rookie

Jan 31, 2014
    Oakland ca
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Exactly correct. Also, there's really no need to go to a dealer for that car. A good indy is the way to go. Many more qualified indy Porsche shops than Ferrari.

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Makes me love my 930 even more... $400 for the clutch plus my labor for the weekend...

That said, the 996 turbo is going to be my next por-sha ;)

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you could do it for under $2k through an indy if you have a good one nearby. not sure where in KY you are.

engine/trans has to be dropped to do this so there's a fair amount of labor involved, but also a great time to sort out anything else that needs to be done under there. I'd do the fuel filter too, at a minimum.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Perhaps you can get on Rennlist to see if a Pcar owner can recommend a good indy mechanic in your area. For $4k in savings you can obviously afford to travel some distance. But make sure the mech has done this before. You don't want to be a Guinea Pig.

My indy mech just does German cars. They are excellent. Best of luck.

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Had my '01 Turbo clutch changed for a beefed up one for $2,800.

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Just had our 06 Boxster in for service. Quoted around $5K for a clutch, this from a mech we know and trust.

9. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I did some research I called around. Can get it done a reputable Indy shop for 2800.00 now that makes my eyes dry up and ass isn't puckered anymore lol. Guess it's off to the shop.

10. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Hope there's not to many while your In there. Like with my Ferrari engine out job. Might as well do this and that and it added up to over 12k.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    hell for $6k you could ship it to cali and back and prob still save $$$$

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Is the clutch slipping or just hard to push down?

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I was just wondering about that also, the clutch 'spring' on the pedal goes out, increases effort quit a lot.

No fun to change it up under the dash, but not $6k worth of trouble.

14. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #14 Mondial83, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Yeah I think the clutch is out. I can sit in car no key in ignitin and put it in first and second without pressing clutch. I have not driven it since I smelled the smoke and it was acting up I'm afraid to. I did get a local quote for 2800.00 for new OEM clutch and flywheel 800 more if it needs Slave cylinder. I gues I gotta trust what the wrench says. The clutch acts normal as far as pressing it down etc. but when I step on throttle the rpms go up turbo builds etc. no power as it used to just take off set you back in the seat. It don't do that now it just jumps rpms and slowly starts to try to take off.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if you're mechanic quoted you for the flywheel too that's a decent price.

get a lightweight flywheel, it will make the car much more responsive under acceleration :)