957 Cayenne GTS | FerrariChat

957 Cayenne GTS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Intheflesh, Aug 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    Considering picking one up, as they have become relatively affordable. I had an 06 cayenne S for 7 years, sold it 3 years ago and have missed it ever since.

I know its a different engine... 4.5 vs 4.8.
    Does the GTS have the same issues with the coolant pipes and drive shaft as the S?
    What about air suspension... any big surprises to look out for?

I do realize these cars are going on 6-8 years old at this point. Luckily my S was bullet proof in the 7 years I owned it. How hard would it be to get an aftermarket warranty, and waht are some good companies to consider?

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm curious as well.

Can you elaborate on bullet proof? When I hear that I just think fluid and filter changes.

3. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    traded it in with 120K Miles.... and just the regular scheduled services.

4. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #4 mclaudio, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    I have an 09 GTS as a DD. Third Cayenne with almost 95k miles. No aftermarket warranty. Much more reliable than my 04S. No coolant pipe issues. No air suspension issues. No cardan shaft issues. No service other than maintenance. I suspect at some point within 150k miles, the engine mount and cardan shaft (plus other long term wear items) will need to be replaced. Get a well-maintained one and replace fluids (engine and tranny oil) more often than suggested.

Not ultimately as fast as the turbo versions, but quicker/more responsive engine and gearbox. Better sounding, too. Therefore, I like it better for US roads wherein most speeds are below 80 mph.

Handling is awesome for an SUV with such weight. It's impossible to beat the laws of physics but the Cayenne GTS seems close. I've never done it but I understand some take theirs on track and autox days.

I like the go-anywhere, do-anything feel of the Cayenne GTS - long trips, race car tows, winter ski trips with friends/family, dog trips, airport runs and daily commute fun. I've not taken my GTS on off road trips like the Rubicon trail, but I've had the chance to experience an air-suspensioned Cayenne S in an offroad circuit in Germany. With proper tires, these 955/957 series are very capable off road vehicles.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Anyone else have thoughts on the GTS v the other Cayenne versions? At some point, I need to replace my wife's RX 350 with something that can pull at least 5,000 pounds.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Do it. Base Cayenne is meh IMO. The GTS has the looks and performance, and is NA. First Porsche I ever took for a test drive was a 2009 GTS. It surprised me how responsive and nimble it was when I put my foot in it. The Cayenne Diesel is nice, lots of torque, especially if you can get it at a great price due to the scandal...T

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I really liked my S. I redid the driveshaft or whatever and the coolant pipes. Was trouble free after that. It was an 04, bought new. Just sold in the last year. Oh did have a bad coil and changed the battery. The later is under the drivers seat and a real pain to do.

I chose the S, mainly because needed a practical daily driver. My Excursion was business insurance only. Thought the GTS or turbo was overkill for a dog mostly vehicle. Plus it could safely tow my Donzi 22 Classic.

Ok I was being "cheap" in my choices. If I ever do it again, Id lean towards the turbo. Loved the S, didn't feel as guilty hauling boats and dogs in it. But the turbo is a lot more fun too drive!

8. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    My wife has the 2016 Cayenne GTS. It's beautiful and frankly, I chose it because I do all the long distance driving and this is one fun truck to drive. We put snow tires on in the winter and it's been fantastic in the snow. We use it to drive to the ski mountains and haven't had a problem, knock on wood.