330 GTC for CGT? | FerrariChat

330 GTC for CGT?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by John B, Aug 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I've got an itch to trade with my 330 GTC for a CGT. Am I nuts?

2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    apples and oranges... there is not going to be a definitive answer that "will check all the boxes" that will result in total satisfaction with the trade... no decision will be correct

3. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    We all have our personal opinions and preferences, and to my mind, the 330 GTC is one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever designed. I wouldn't do the trade, even though the much newer Porsche is a superior car in ever other way.

That being said, however, and since we're both in New Jersey, I'll swap my Boxster for your Ferrari if you're anxious to make a change.

4. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    If you like to drive your cars, do it. The Carrera GT will give you years of incredible enjoyment unparalleled by a few cars. It is probably one of my favorite cars to drive.

I believe over the next 5-10 years they will hit the $1 million mark and continue to rise! It is the last of a analog raw era.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It would be hard to imagine two completely different cars. (Caveat: I one owned a GTC, but not a CGT.) The Porsche is a full-on modern supercar. The Ferrari, well, is an old sports car. It is a very cool car, but old nevertheless.

I had a 550 Maranello when I owned the GTC. When going for a romp down two-lane country roads, I found myself choosing the Maranello over the GTC. YMMV.

BTW, kudos to you for NOT asking which car is a better investment. No car is an investment.

6. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    I will put it this way, the 330GTC while a great car and utterly beautiful, was a domesticated road car from Ferrari when it was new.

The CGT is a celebration of Porsche Heritage as it relates to their most important arena, endurance racing, wrapped up in a barely legal road car. Its a scalpel among butter knives. Mechanical Engineering at its pinnacle for road going vehicles whereas the 959,918 are technological engineering masterpieces. To me the CGT is more impressive for that reason alone.

It is also the swan song supercar of the independent Porsche Company before they were bought by VW. I find that to be significant.

Your not crazy at all.

7. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I absolutely love mine![​IMG]
    Is there anyway of keeping both? Completely different toys. Before you purchase a CGT, make sure you understand the clutch, and have the clutch depth checked. Expensive to replace. Also, now might not be the best time to buy, I suspect prices will come down. Absolutely love the CGT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'd never do it, but I am a vintage guy...

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have driven both (on the same day thanks to a crazy russian who is an fchatter) and id do it. The CGT left an impression on me. The GTC, not so much. I love vintage Ferraris but wasnt fond of the driving exp of the GTC. I had much more fun driving a Daytona or a Boxer or a PF Cab S1 than the GTC.

What about trading the GTC for a Daytona? Id take a Daytona over a CGT.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Life is short. If you've experienced everything that the GTC has to offer perhaps it is time for a change. Nothing wrong with that.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    There is another thread which goes into the CGT and it's tricky nuances (widow maker nick name). You may want to look at before you jump. The CGT can bite you if your skill set is not top drawer. In So CA, the last year or so a race car driver and passenger were killed in a CGT. It was a single car crash on public streets, not a track incident.

I also agree it may not be the right time to pick up the CGT price wise but the prices on vintage Fcars also seem pretty strong currently so that may be a trade off.

12. carfetish

carfetish Rookie

Oct 23, 2014

Yea the Roger Rodas and Paul Walker crash!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I resemble that remark!

14. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    John I own both cars and like them equity for their own special attributes. I think you should do what you feel is best. You've had your fun with a vintage Ferrari now maybe you want a different type of fun in a CGT. There is no right or wrong. The CGT's and the 330 GTC are very similarly priced. Both cars have a range of $550-750k. Just be sure to do a PPI by a Porsche dealer to make sure you're getting a good one as they are complex cars and the clutch replacement cost is $20-25k.

Geno

15. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Yes, completely nuts. The smart thing to do would be to trade straight up with someone who has a 3.0 930.

By weird coincidence, I happen to have a 3.0 930 and will happily swap with you.

Nothing self-serving in this offer to help, I assure you....

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I love both cars. With the Carrera GT, for investment you'll always be competing with the most perfect, sealed in a bubble with all original paperwork, low low miles, perfect colors and zero zero damage Carrera GT or whatever is the latest "off the rack". I think you'd be more "relaxed" with a vintage Ferrari like a 330GTC. Mileage doesn't really matter. Don't like the colors? Change it! If it had a bit of previous damage or rust, just restore it. A vintage Ferrari is like your favorite old leather jacket, jeans and hand made shoes. They just get better with age. The Carrera GT is extremely complex and needs specialized training, equipment, parts etc. The vintage Ferrari is pedestrian in comparison. In a few years, your Carrera GT will be permanently connected to a battery tender under a cover in your garage while whoever gets your GTC will be tinkering with it in their garage planning their next tour. It's not always about money until you can't afford what you once had.

Freeman

17. carfetish

carfetish Rookie

Oct 23, 2014

Well said...but the CGT is analog compared to all newer supercars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Great input guys. A deal actually came together rather quickly for a freshly serviced low mile CGT with a brand new clutch (and that pretty little CGT briefcase stuffed with cash) from a dealer I know and respect. It's a bittersweet feeling. I really enjoyed my time with my GTC, but also look forward to a new, totally different experience.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That may be, but the CGT is one of the very few cars that hits all the boxes IMO.

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The great news is you couldn't go wrong either way! Congrats on the CGT! Please post some pics when you take delivery.

21. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    Congratulations John! I have never driven a 330 but have over 7000 miles in my cgt. I can't imagine a more polar opposite experience and hope you enjoy yours as I have mine. Treat it with respect and you will be greatly rewarded.

22. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #22 John B, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I took my GTC for what was probably our last drive together. It ran great, especially for a 49 year old car. I gave it a chance to scream at the top of it's lungs one last time. Then I realized this might be the last time it ever gets to do that. I certainly hope the next owner gets as much pleasure from it as I have, and cares for it as well as I have. I sat down to write a small set of instructions on the care and feeding of GTC 9303 but it turned into four pages. I'm going to miss this car, God speed 9303!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #23 John B, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #24 John B, Aug 12, 2016