2017 GT3..3 pedal manual | FerrariChat

2017 GT3..3 pedal manual

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by italiafan, Aug 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think Porsche "gets it."
    3 pedal manual for their lighter-weight sporty track car...awesome!
    Might irritate the 911R crowd though...the super exclusive manual 911...was the bees knees until the GT3 comes out that is. :)

Already put down a deposit for an allocation....

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    This is verified for 2017?! That is not only awesome, but also insane for the people that were fighting for a spot for a 911R and paid extra for one. I would be frustrated to say the least...

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    According to my dealer it is certain...put down a deposit today.
    Manual GT3 for 2017.

Ferrari needs to pay attention.

5. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    I will order a 991.2 GT3
    And it will be PDK-S

Bill

6. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Congrats italianfan .... it must be the 'slow' manual for me too. I DD a Spyder and wouldn't have it any other way. Bravo to Porsche for responding to their customers. I agree Ferrari should wake up (and not just their Scuderia team).

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

I think the current PDK is excellent, great box...but I'd have the manual, too. It suits the car very well.

F12(m)/488 however, I'd have that flappy paddle definitely. It suits the car better.

And I'm a manual fanboy!

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For the most part I agree.
    I do often drive my F12 is a sporty but not fully-frantic way and in that sense I think it might be interesting to have it in a manual..especially with all that torque to play with.
    I think the more high-strung V8s definitely are better with superfast-shifting-paddles.

It would be nice to have a manual...and then a button you can push to put it is DCT auto mode! LOL best of both worlds. :)

9. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    +1

Its excellent they're giving us a choice!

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    A market exists for a flagship car with a manual box. Companies should offer the manual as an option. This includes the RS.

The manual transmission is not popular with old men who order new exotics.

11. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO

Does anyone know if this is a limited edition built car...? Thanks

12. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    Ltd to an extent, they will build as many as required. I have already been asked if I would like one.. It's going to be another 6000-8000 cars.. So yes Ltd to modern day standards.
    I must admit it's starting to make the CGT seem like a small production number.
    I know it should be on another thread but CGT seem excellent value at the moment.

13. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    A CGT is in the company of the mighty F1, and F50. Its the most undervalued car on the market IMHO. In a lot of ways its a better car than both the previous mentioned cars. 1200 cars is not many in the grand scheme of things and who knows how many survived the early years. There were ~750 miuras, ~750 275gtb's.

The CGT moved in price to around 800k+ then so many cars came out of the woodwork they moved back to the 600k range currently.

People buying these 911 variants for a million dollars is a fools errand. I am amazed but sometimes even smart guys do dumb things i guess.

14. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I also think the CGT represents great value at the moment among the other analog supercars (F1, F40, F50, Pagani...) and as a matter of fact, two weeks ago I put my money where my mouth is. What a truly unique, thrilling, and wonderful car.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Is it true the shifting on the CGT is very sensitive/tricky?

16. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Its the best shifter youll ever pilot. Period. The. End.

Get one, drive one, and understand what a Supercar unplugged really means. It can challenge you and reward you for a lifetime. Its exciting at all speeds, and when its blowing and goin, few cars can top the experience. Everything you do in a CGT will need to be done in utter confidence. There is no flywheel and the clutch is so small you cant describe how direct the drivetrain feels. Its unique.

17. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  18. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Joe hope all is well.

Dont get me started on Lamborghinis and the value of some models hiding in there........ Early Lambos are special special objects, for the true connoisseur of interesting automobiles, nothing short. I talk about the CGT knowing full well the Miura started it all. Past that, the DD orbits in its own historic universe and its the best kept open secret in the car world-bar none. The thread does such a wonderful job showing what they are all about and why. I cant find words that best describe the experience of a DD Countach. An Italian V-12 FIA homologated sculpture is all that needs to be said I guess. Very Very rare cars.

Early Lambos represent the genesis of the whole genre, in my mind everything else is just an iteration of that spirit of building supercars. Truly a league of their own.

Having said that, the CGT has a Patek Phillippe level of functional beauty, inside and out that is hard to match. I'm floored that people go out of their way to pay up for some 911 variants.

A few that are worth it might include,

-Original 911R
    -73' RS Lightweight
    -964 Turbo S Lightweight
    -993 GT2 Bolt on Fender
    -997 GT3RS 4.0

The list is so short. I dont think these R's are worthy of a true collectible. To me its the 991 Sport Classic but with the GT3 engine and tech. A 991.2 GT3 will be 90%+ of this R.

I just don't get it really.

19. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Regarding the upcoming 991.2 GT3 being 90% of the R, the former will likely actually handle better than the latter, which was softened in the suspension department for road use.

The R's engineering goals (softer, no wing, enjoyable but "slower" manual box) really make it a great candidate for a daily driver alternative to a standard GT3, but unfortunately the limited production aspect has killed the likelihood that many will be enjoyed for anything remotely approaching daily use.

We are actually in an interesting situation at Porsche's GT department, where the "softest" 911 GT car (the R) is super-limited production, the middle car (GT3) is somewhat limited in production, and the most hardcore model (GT3 RS) has been produced in super high numbers. I think the marketing people over at Porsche must have bumped their heads before planning the GT lineup this time around. :)

20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no, their bosses committed massive fraud and now need to bleed profit centers for all they're worth ;)

21. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Praise the almighty Porsche gods we have been delivered to driving heaven one more time!