Porsche Carrera GT - Icon's Driven EVO Magazine Video | FerrariChat

Porsche Carrera GT - Icon's Driven EVO Magazine Video

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Bas, Aug 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yMHWdGn0rg[/ame]

One of my all time favourite cars. What a machine.

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    A pure driver car. A great machine.

3. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I personally feel that the Carrera GT is the Ferrari F40 equivalent of the 2000's era.

They share the same ethos: stripped, lightweight, racing-level construction, & a priority on purity over the new-age technology used by their peers. The F40 and CGT share strangely similar worldwide production numbers, even.

Perhaps the way the F40 is looked upon today is a good indicator of how the CGT will be looked upon in 15 years, just my prediction.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    totally agree.

5. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Spot on!

Also somewhat parallel to the F40 as Enzo's last car, this was the last supercar from Porsche as a private family company.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #6 Bas, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Personally I'd say Porsche's equivalent of the F50.

Also born with an ex F1 engine (which then was developed into a Le Mans engine...which then got shelved because the regs changed!), the F50 was supposed to be an F1 car for the road, the CGT a Le Mans car for the road, lightweight, purity (ok, same as F40 ;)), also naturally aspirated, and, an engine used as an integral member.

Either way...both F40 and F50 are great cars, but I do feel that the CGT compares to the F50 more in both feel and philosophy.

7. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You already have a quite wonderful stable...but the CGT is definitely missing!

I was never a huge Porsche fan (I am these days), but the CGT instantly did it for me. It became one of my favourite cars ever and is still right there. All things going well I hope to be in one in a couple of years as well.

9. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Manual, Topless, Naturally Aspirated, Carbon Chassis cars.

You can count em on 3 fingers..... Two were mentioned, Pagani also made some Zondas that fit the description.

10. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #10 Finlander, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Something about the rear roofline and where engine lid area meet that just doesn't look right....imo

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I almost bought one when they were like $300K, but I just don't think it's a good looking car. Just a meh design that hasn't aged well IMO.

13. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #13 rmolke85, Aug 31, 2016
    Form follows function, there is a reason why Horacio Pagani owns one, and Ralph Lauren owns two. I will take their word for it that the design is ok.

They are best live, with the roof off. Then the toupee look goes away.

Unmistakably Porsche with history in every curve.

Whereas the F50 to me looks better with the roof on, the CGT needs it off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Love the first shot, it really is a great angle that shows of the road presence it has.

It never bothered me, as post above, the F50 really needs the roof on, and I do agree that the CGT looks better with roof off than on, but even with the roof on I really like it. Could it look better with roof on? Sure...but it's not hugely bothersome for me.

Roof is also very easily removed and put on again, something that definitely can't be said for the F50/Murcielago/Zonda Roadster.

15. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    +1

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #16 absent, Sep 1, 2016
  17. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Sure, there's a definite comparison there too. F50 is much rarer than either, though, and has a more fussy (or maybe less "timeless") design IMO.

18. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I only acquired my CGT about three weeks ago and am still getting to know it, I've put about 600 miles on it so far. I had it out for a spirited drive yesterday and emerged shaking my head and chuckling that Porsche, or anyone for that matter, had the audacity to build such a car for the street, but I'm sure glad they did!! I've been fortunate to own and drive a wide variety of exotic and high-performance street cars as well as some very quick racecars. No street car I have ever experienced is as engaging and thrilling to drive as a CGT. The closest thing I can compare it to is a late '90's era LeMans Prototype. On the street!!! :)

19. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Given the wide array of car you own or have owned I'm pleased to read your post. I've had other cars on my radar but with the CGT having softened quite a bit recently it very well might be time to acquire one. Congrats on your new purchase!

20. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    What's an average price for a CGT nowadays?

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    $600s seems about right in the US. Some went to auction recently and didn't find buyers.

Silver is the cheapest colors, others carry a big premium.

I'd just look for higher mileage, well maintained cars. I think many Porsches have been bubbly in the last year or two, so I'd wait a little bit more to see what happened. And honestly, there are always tons available. Plenty on eBay whenever I look.

22. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #22 joe sackey, Sep 2, 2016
    Astute observation.

I've quietly conveyed half-a-dozen of these to benchmark collections (such as the one below), and I daresay as the last manual gearbox Porsche Hypercar this one has a great future.

There are a few cars Privately available for numbers that make real sense, all things considered.

23. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    The CGT is one of the greatest road cars ever made. I bought mine in 2011 when nobody wanted them and I will never sell it. It's my favorite out of all the cars I've owned. It even tops the F50.

24. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
  25. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name: