991 Carrera (S)? | FerrariChat

991 Carrera (S)?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by rob lay, Sep 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So thinking about replacing Jennie's Abarth with a used Carrera as daily driver. We've never had a Porsche before. We stopped off at Plano dealer yesterday and got many questions answered as I really don't know much about the car.

I think we've narrowed down we want 991 in white. Any issues with the early 991's?

Jennie test drove a 2013 manual, she liked everything except the blue interior. Are the manuals really pretty rare, salesman said something like 2-5%? I don't think Jennie cares if manual or PDK.

Any options must have?

Is the S worth at $10k more or so worth it? This will just be a DD for her.

Here is one she test drove, like everything but the interior. I do like darker wheels better than chrome/silver.

Used 2013 Porsche 911 For Sale | Plano TX | DS106336

2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    #2 slm, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Really no major issues on the 991's. The S is worth the upgrade IMHO. As a daily driver the 4 might be better than the 2 also. As far as PDK vs manual - what does Jenny want? Porsche manuals are fantastic, but as a DD PDK is hard to beat. Give a a call if you want to talk more.

BTW, white porsche's rock!!! And when Jenny gets one, she can drive with the cool people at Crescent!!! :;
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Some thoughts of mine that may help.

No issues that I'm aware of.

I had a 2012 and 2014. Both Carrera S's...which is worth it over the base IMO. Great car for a DD.

On the 2014 I ordered PCCB's because the steel brakes on the 2012 threw off A LOT of brake dust ....personal preference perhaps.

If you go with an S consider finding a car with (don't quote me on these as its been a couple years and the option choices are different now) the options Sport Chrono (I believe this gives you a "Sports Plus" button) and Sport Exhaust.

Both of mine were white as well. ;)

4. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've been looking at 991's as well but have only test driven S models and they are one of the cars that I just have to have. The manuals are very rare here in LA as I have only seen one in the last six months... and there are a LOT of 911s here. It was actually the first car I looked at, was around 65K, and I should've bought it on the spot. I didn't because I didn't want black (again) and really thought that manuals were plentiful. Every one I checked out was manual right? Wrong.

Performance- or convenience-wise PDK it is hard to beat for a DD or canyon roads; shifted manually or left in auto, they're very impressive. I think even the most diehard manual fans agree that getting stuck in traffic or plodding thru town sucks with a manual.

When I read back my post even I am confused as to which one I want - which is why there isn't one in my garage. The takeaway is that there's no wrong answer, so not a bad problem to have.

As to the blue interior, there's no way I would be happy with that, not with so many (read: every other) option available. Best of luck in your search.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sports Chrono is great. I can believe that a small percentage are manual. For the Texas weather, I'd consider ventilated seats a must have option. If it doesn't have it already, I'd get max legal tint all around after purchase...T

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #6 cheesey, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    get "S" if it is in the budget ( 3.8 L vs 3.4 L ), more smiles while you enjoy the car and should get it back when it's time to move on... PDK is definitely preferred, it is not a set and forget automatic, it can keep the driver busy ( in a good way)... Sport chrono is a preferred option by the enthusiasts as it interfaces with the computers allows for enhancement in car performance, something that may not be missed ( nothing to do with exhaust ), sport exhaust is a switchable system that makes great noises... ventilated seats w/ heat and A/C definitely nice in the south... a GTS would be very well equipped and could be a bargain as a resale

7. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    PdK is one of the main attraction of the brand to me. I'd suggest the extra money for the s model makes sense.

Good luck on your search.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think we're pretty certain on a 991 S. thanks for everyone's help.

9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    How about a GTS?

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Interesting, I'm learning, will give it a look.

11. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I've heard more than one dealer say they only got manuals in if they were special ordered, otherwise, all PDKs.

Mark

12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    My targa is a GTS. A lot of it is an option package, but desirable options. There is a 30 HP increase over the 991.1 S.

13. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    The manuals are hard to find, I had to go out of state to find a used one.

The Porsche site has a good locator, use that to find one with the options you need.
    I would suggest the vented seats since you are in Texas

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That is what I heard from two of the local dealer sales guys who attent the PCA meetings. I have seen very few manual 991 cars. Not sure if you can even get a gen 2 991.2 car in manual now? But that said the PDK is such a great trans especially for a DD I doubt a manual is a better choice IMO. I drove C4S PDK in Germany for a couple weeks on a Treffin trip and really loved it. A couple die hard Porsche guys in my club came home and immediately got 4S cars with PDK.

15. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

And if you elect to track the car, the PDK is FAR better than a manual. The typical story is that if Porsche are doing demo track days, they can't release the cars together -- or if they do, they have to let the manual go first because PDK 911s are several seconds a lap faster.

It is an amazing transmission, and probably the best example of Porsche engineering "magic" in recent memory.

16. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    The trouble with the PDK is that it is too good, you end up leaving it alone, and driving (or tracking) the car as an automatic.
    The top gear review of the 991R with Matt LeBlanc best demonstrates the pluses of the m/t.

17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    A used GTS in PDK or Manual would be something to consider, may be easier to sell when the times comes and will hold some value. Regardless, they are both great sports cars, and she will love it. And you will too!