Porsche Macan Turbo Performance Package | FerrariChat

Porsche Macan Turbo Performance Package

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by cpiguy, Sep 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I've decided to order a new 2107 Macan. I've had 6 X5's in a row and it's time for a change. Any of my Ferrari buddies have a Macan? Any advice on my order?

2. ferrari 66

ferrari 66 Rookie

Aug 13, 2016
    CP,
    Have you driven the new X5 M ? Those are serious beast yet you still able to enjoy the luxury with ample space. I have driven my friend's macan turbo, it is definately fast but felt more confined. I am 6'2.
    F66

3. CF Shield

CF Shield Karting

Oct 22, 2014
    Norcal
    I have Macan turbo as a DD. It certainly is faster than a X5 and a better driver. It feels a bit too heavy for me though. It also sits too high. You might want to consider a GTS.

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Macan feels pretty sporty, though it's pretty small as far as SUVs go.

At the end of the day, an SUV is and SUV, so I wouldn't expect much excitement. What I will say though is that PDK is a fantastic gearbox, even in the Macan. I think it's a better gear box than even the 458.

5. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    The Porsche is a much better driver than the BMW. The Macan is smaller than the Cayenne. You can't compare the X5 to the Macan for space. The X5 is a comparable to the Cayenne. The Porsche SUVs drive like cars which I like. If it were me, I'd get a Macan GTS instead of the Turbo. Better sounding, stiffer, sharper handling and more sporty.

6. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    Agree. PDK is best gearbox on the market.

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #7 PhilNotHill, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Macan is built on the same chassis as the Audi Q5/SQ5. May want to check them out. On Rennlist the Macan had lots of build problems early on. Have they fixed those?

A performance SUV is like a dancing elephant, the concept just doesn't fit with a sports car. Get an SUV or a sports car. Trying to combine the two doesn't make sense to me. Sure, l want to be able to pass someone safely, but an SUV just doesn't handle well enough in the twisties.

Consequently we decided to buy an Audi S4 instead of a Macan or SQ5. It goes great in snow, handles great in the twisties (sports differential a must), plenty of power to pass on the highway, and all the storage we need.

Some people just like sitting up high in an SUV but you give up too much in handling for my taste.

8. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    As a point of reference I also have a Porsche 911 Turbo S, and have always loved Porsche.

I was struggling with GTS versus Turbo for the reasons you guys mention above. As I'm in the middle of making the decision, Porsche announces the Turbo Performance Package car. It's not an option, it actually the equivalent of a Turbo S.

Highlights include lowered tuned chassis and suspension, larger new brakes, sport exhaust, 40 more horse power. Made my decision easy :) The announcement link below.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/porsche-macan-turbo-performance-package-12842.html

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Just don't get the hideous looking side graphics package. Looks so Pontiac.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Actually, the Audi looks better to me. All those extra Porsche body add-ons just don't work for me.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree. Macan gts is ok. But the rest are so overdone.

Unrelated, see the spy pics of the Panamera station wagon?! Disgusting.

12. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I find the macan a tad small for our family weekend needs. We went with a cayenne turbo and it's a blast, what a machine. I like the macan but oh my goodness there are tons on the road now, but to the above points I can see the pdk making it more engaging. Our cayenne haz the pdcc option and handles like it's on rails, unreal for such a big truck - macan will should do the same and better.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    After 5 cayenne turbos I looked at the macan to try something different. I like its looks but its just too small.

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    We have a Macan GTS, which is the sweet spot in the lineup. Unless you really want the range-topping power of the Turbo with the perf pack (they could have, but didn't call it the "Turbo S", so don't blame me if there is yet another model that tops this one), there's no reason to spend more. The handling prowess belies its SUV nature. It's more like a big 911 than a tuned SUV. Those who have owned or driven both, say the Macan is way better to drive than an X5 M.

15. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Thanks guys. It's not going to be a cheap ride, but fit's the bill for a fast, fun, mini SUV. My goal was to down size from an X5. Of all the mid size SUV's on the market, I definitely like the Macan the best. When I test drove the different model's, I just loved the GTS, but wanted the power of the Turbo. The TPP car does the trick of delivering the best of both world, for a price of course. I've locked up my dealers first allocation, which should deliver the car in January. Even though I just took delivery of my 488, I'm excited once again for a new toy. I know, I'm car crazy, and love every minute :)

16. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Good choice on the Macan Turbo, My wife LOVES the car. Watch your speed, it is so smooth that you will routinely be over 85 mph without realizing it except that you are passing cars.

17. LOLAF1RACER

LOLAF1RACER Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2007
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Macan Turbo - owned last 14 months ! Best DD ever

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Yeah and there's already a Porsche section for them........

19. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    #19 RCorsa, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Arnie. Get the new x5m! I got one in in July and it's amazing. I also looked at the Porsche, Range Rover and the g wagon. While the Macan drove great I figured I would get tired of how small It was after a few months and IMO the X5 is kind of the perfect size SUV for "drivers" like us. The grey with the red interior with carbon fiber looks amazing and the B/o stereo sounds amazing with no "auto mute" that our 488s had.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The crazy thing is that the difference in price between a Macan Turbo and a Cayenne Turbo is like $100K. It's insane.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Your x5m looks hot.

22. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Thanks man.. Wife hates the red interior which is why I got the license plate "REDGUTS" as a laugh. Even she thought it was kind of funny.....

23. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Love the X5M, just cant do another X5. You're looks incredible.

24. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i have owned 2 turbo cayennes.
    i prefer my macan turbo!

25. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed