Porsche Dealers question | FerrariChat

Porsche Dealers question

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 11506apollo, Oct 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I will be visiting a Porsche dealer in Texas soon, looking for a new Targa. Hope to find one in their existing inventory. I am wondering if buying a Porsche (my first) is a typical "new car buying" experience with the back and forth haggling to get a 5% or 10% discount over the sticker price? or is it smooth and quick with one decent offer, and a hand shake? Thanks for sharing your own experience.

2. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    might be worth sharing location and then existing clients may share their personal experiences

3. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
  4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    if you (the OP) are looking for a generous discount, don't get your hopes up... especially if inventories are thin and availability is limited... also the dealers are selling everything they get... if they offer anything, it will only be a token at best

5. stevie 77 930

stevie 77 930 Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    Woodland Hills CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  6. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Just build your own Targa. Most of the dealer stock cars probably have a bunch of options you wouldn't want anyway, and that way you can spec it exactly as you like, but not pay more than you're willing to.

7. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    well,
    To be very honest with you guys, I am not sure which Porsche I want
    I test drove a Macan S today.....7,700 miles....demo car....felt the turbo lag even though it is a V6 and has twin turbos....nice little SUV to serve as DD, but dealer wanted $78k with a CPO till 100k miles included. maybe too much for what it is.
    Then I sat in a Panamera S, and felt claustrophobic...very nice looking car on the outside...but cramped inside IMHO.
    Found a 911 S Targa too.....yes....a Targa.....sticker is $140k very nice lines......but my wife said she thought the Cayman looked much better.....go figure.....that's what you get for bringing the wife along....lol.
    The good thing is she said...get whatever you want....life is short.
    Which is nice.....but it does not help me at all in this decision.
    I need a new DD to replace the aging E55.....a Targa would be a weekend toy. Toooo pretty to be a DD in my world. she said....get both! ....geeee....I am confused now.

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I believe 8 to 10% is doable on run of the mill NEW porsche ....anything that is limited in volume will not give that kind of discount . Of course some dealers are not as interested in discounting as others ..

9. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    This

....and This.

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You are looking at a pretty wide range of vehicles! I think since it is your first Porshe I would go with a 997.2 low mileage car, C2S, C4S or GTS. If automatic is OK with you the PDK trans is great and also direction injection on the gen 2 997s are worth while updates plus NO IMS issues on any gen 2 cars. Also there are some tech updates with gen 2 cars - Bluetooth and IPod. I think any of those cars will give you a good Porsche experience and can be DD if you want.

After a couple of years you can decide to up grade to exactly what you want and order the exact spec you want. Dealers don't discount the up grade models much if at all. The "base models" you can likely get 10% off but if will not be equipped the way you want. Also buying off the lot expect the colors to be limited to silver, grey, black or white. A very few cars are ordered by the dealers in different colors - yellow, lava orange, guards red, Miami blue etc. Usually those cars are ordered loaded with options.

I have owned several Pcars and usually bought low mileage used cars. Otherwise I ordered exact spec car. I have been happy with both approaches but the "deal", if that is important has always been the 1-3 year low mileage car.

Good luck shopping- it's all fun!

11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Check if they have 2016's in stock. Best deals with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Good luck with which ever model you decide to buy. I am a relatively new owner of Porsche cars .It started with buying panamera GTS for my wife in 2014 , then a used 997.2 , then a 2015 911 GTS, then a 2016 cayenne turbo for my wife .I still own all of the cars. I did special order two of them and bought one from inventory and was able to get a very good good deal on each of them. I am now looking at selling my 997.2 and buying a 911 turbo s.. negotiating now.. I am loyal to my dealer as they treat me pretty good .I also have a very nice 930

13. mike5876

mike5876 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    albuquerque, nm
    Full Name:
    Mike Szabo
    I work at Champion Porsche Targas are very very hard to come by We have none in stock or incoming That being said i dont think you will find any at a great discount Stores that have cars know the demand and are probably not going to be ready to sell at big discounts

14. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #14 jvmax, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    as a current Targa owner, I am curious how many are being made a year as it seems most dealers get 1 allocation a year
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Nice looking car!

Pretty much any model with low allocations are close to full sticker if not above sticker especially early in the model year.