Barn Find 1957 356A Speedster Sold For $665,500! | FerrariChat

Barn Find 1957 356A Speedster Sold For $665,500!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 4CamGT, Nov 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Wow...That is insane (in a good way) Great car, story and ownership history.

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    nothing like 3x the estimate

3. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
  4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Breaks the previous record set a month ago in Belgium for a perfectly restored 1600 Pre A

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    it is not a good idea to cosmetically restore this car. The original patina, condition, and records are the reasons behind the record price.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #7 4CamGT, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is something so special about connecting with an unmodified, left "as it is" object from a period long ago. It gives you a direct connection. An example is this Martini 917 from the Collier Collection. It has never been touched since it last raced in the early 70's. Stripes were put on with a brush. Restorations are re-interpretations. I really appreciate objects that have managed to survive and tell us their story.

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the round of price increases in recent years has brought a lot of rusty rubble from the breakers to market by the flippers cashing in on windfall gains... it is good to see quality originals separate themselves in the market place from the cars known by the cliche' "pigs with lipstick" that have blurred the lines of what is good and what is junk

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    That also separates an astute knowledgable collector vs a naive boutique collector.

Freeman

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    When the auction company brings the car to auction all dirty, isn't this a bit of what home sellers do (me included) --have fresh flowers installed, music playing ,etc? in other words, the buyer then can tell himself that he "barn found" the car because it looks freshly found. But in reality a barn finder found it and flipped it untouched.

I am not questioning the provenance--that is very well presented.

What I am trying to do is come up with a rationale for the high price. So the only thing I can think of is that being a one-owner car covered with dirt it gives the buyer at auction a chance to re-play the "discovery," this time with himself in the lead role as the discoverer. Later it will be forgotten who actually found it because the buyer at auction will be getting all the accolades.

It reminds me of when I interviewed a fellow who found a rare prewar French classic car with coachbuilt bodywork in a dumpy neighborhood. It took him five years to wrest it from the owner and then he restored it, but had to sell it because of divorce. Now I see the present owner is displaying it with a sign saying he "discovered" it, so what we're seeing is you buy the car so you can get the credit for finding it.

10. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I had the car inspected and bid on it.

It was a one owner original paint original everything car.
    The interior was incredible as was the top.
    It had some work to do outside, but you could basically leave the paint the way it was.

Plus the color combination of aquamarine blue metallic and red interior are the most desired

A car like this won't come up - when? The Seinfeld speedster he bought wasn't in this condition and was a respray.

That's why there was such strong interest.

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Some of you folk be too young to know that actress Lana Turner was reportedly discovered when sitting on a stool at the soda fountain in a drugstore in Hollywood. I liken the bringing-a-car-with-dirt "as found" to an auction
    as sort of offering role-play fantasy. You,the bidder, get to replay-the-discovery.

It's like ,sometime after she was discovered, some lecherous movie producer tells the guy that found her "I wanna meet her, but tell her I want her to go back to that drugstore on a certain date and time and let me discover her."

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #13 4CamGT, Nov 27, 2016

Speedsters are just really special. They transcend normal rationale. Special original color combos are like that too! I bought my '56 "bee-hive" sunroof coupe because I was smitten by the combo! I probably paid too much at the time but have never been sorry! They say you can never pay too much, only too early! Cars like these rarely come to market. I do think this Speedster represents "a rising tide lifts all boats" philosophy though.

Freeman

13. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Oh, I like. It perfectly matches my '58 blue/red speedster. Let me know when you get tired of it!

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #15 4CamGT, Nov 27, 2016
    Thanks! Here's a shot of the interior:

15. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Looks great.

We match! Though my '58 is the flat aquamarine. I did have a '56 speedster that was acquamarine metallic blue with red, though I sold that. Your coupe is even more dramatic as there is more blue to be seen than on the speedster.

I did really want the one owner blue/tan one that just sold but that price is too much compared to the value I placed on it. I don't begrudge a buyer willing to pay that high as there won't likely ever be another one.

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I feel really fortunate to have gotten my A Coupe. It belonged to my friend. I started trying to talk him out of it the day he got it! Matching numbers, original colors and "V" sunroof. I also felt there will never be another one!

Freeman