Mid-engined 911 RSR - "The 911 is dead. Long live the 911." | FerrariChat

Mid-engined 911 RSR - "The 911 is dead. Long live the 911."

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by mclaudio, Nov 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
  2. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Cool! I always wanted to see what a factory sponsored racing Cayman could do on the track. I just wondered how long it would take them to admit that the Cayman's mid-engine's design was the future of the brand.

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    So, may we expect a mid-engine GT2 or GT2 RS in the near future?

4. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    In the past, GT2 models have been turbocharged. If this pattern is to remain consistent, then perhaps a GT3. Personally, a GT1 model is appropriate if not a new model designation such as GTE.

Whatever it is, I'm just encouraged that it is mid-engined and normally aspirated.

5. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

Haha. My last Porsche street sports car was a Cayman. Since then, my Porsches have either been a SUV or a race car.

I was glad to see the GT4 Clubsport as a Cayman race model. But to elevate and compete at the higher levels while making branding sense, a 911 or even higher model designation was probably a key factor for Porsche.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Will they make a road legal version?

7. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Based on what I've read the 911's engine has been inching forward with each iteration for a while. It was only a matter of time before it made the jump over the rear axle. :)