Porsche 993 C2 go faster !! | FerrariChat

Porsche 993 C2 go faster !!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by MD355, Dec 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Hi to all !!

As a student back in the late 90s I owned a Porsche 993 C2 manual shift, which at the time felt fast, handled well and made nice loud sound...
    I sold it in 2004 and bought a Ferrari 360 modena manual shift which I still have...
    Last year I became nostalgic of my 993 and went ahead and bought exactly the same specification Porsche 993 C2 as I owned as a student...
    Only problem is that it now doesn't feel as fast or loud anymore, plus the handling is not as responsive as I remember...
    Don't get me wrong, I love this car !!
    I just want to improve it...

I contacted RUF if it was possible to do a BTR upgrade (single turbo 420 bhp , 18-inch RUF wheels , suspension, brakes upgrade)
    They responded that they no longer offer this upgrade...
    They only do engine upgrades on 993 twin-turbo engines...

Any suggestions what to do to improve 1) power/speed 2) sound 3) handling

Route A : since the car in immaculate condition and I want to keep it as a classic, all mods should be fully reversible

Route B : go all out with engine rebuild and put one or two big turbos

Feel free to write what you think...

(I know, I should have bought the 993 turbo, but too much money, plus I dislike 4wd)

2. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Anyone knows if RUF does CTR 2 modification on the basis of existing 993 carreras...?
    that would be COOL

3. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Keep it stock. Truthfully, the 360 isn't that much faster. Better not drive a 430 or a 458. If you wanted to go RUF conversion, I'd start with a wrecked car, save the $ and then have it built to your specs

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I would contact them again and ask what Alois Ruf personally would suggest for your car. It may not be a "BTR", it will probably be better and faster.

Freeman

5. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    993s - with 282hp - by today's standards are not fast at all. i own a 993 C4S, which at the moment is my only 'keeper' car, but i'm certainly not keeping it because it is so blindly quick. my 951, with some mods, would crush my 993, but the 993 is special. your choice is the single turbo option you have or selling the C2 and plunking down $$$ for a 993tt. ;-) you want those wide hips anyway...

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I too have a 993 C4S.

They are expensive too make faster.

A supercharger is an option.

Matt

7. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    This one's easy. Fister Stage II or III mufflers depending on how much more sound you want. Best bang for the buck modification you can make and totally reversible back to stock.

8. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    You can do a 3.8 L upgrade with high lift camshaft and free flowing exhaust.

FVD offers it should get you up to 360bhp.

9. Highway-Star

Highway-Star Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    Normally aspirated Porsche's respond well to suspension changes, shocks, springs, bushes to semi-solids or solids, change anti-rollbars.

Of course making sure all components are factory spec (eg. shocks etc.) + 4 wheel alignment can make a big difference... this is what I would do, keep it stock but well serviced.

^^ Fister exhausts - umm... just my opinion...they are terrible, like a fart can.

993 is a fantastic Porsche, last of the aircooleds. :)

10. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    i also run Fister III mufflers with Fabspeed 200 cell cats - quite the sound!

everyone loves the sound - i have never been accused of having a 'fart can' exhaust. ;-)

11. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    I have a 993. Had it for 20 years. Seemed faster. Now slow compared to my Ferrari and Bentley and Jag XKR. So what. A great track car,nothing ever goes wrong. Enjoy what you have. " A friend is someone who accepts you for who you are"-and old T shirt logo when my daughter was little.

12. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    You are absolutely right !!

In the 911/993 it has always been the driver that makes the car go faster !!

My car has 272 bhp and I can honestly say that it is the most honest and powerful 272 bhp ever !!

With modern cars (F360 Modena, Mercedes SL 55) you do 200-230 KM/H (120-140 MP/H) and you feel a little relaxed... You can even talk on the cellphone...

In the 993 you feel like a hero !! Both hands on the wheel, always alert of weight transfer when you back off or change direction !! On curvy roads, the 993 is like a go-kart !!

13. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    What would it cost to put your stock motor on the shelf and drop in a rebuilt hot rodded turbo motor?

14. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I sold my 993tt. It was a beautiful shape, vault solid and so far more fun to drive than newer models. (Have you compared the size of the latest ones???)

It was my daily driver for a long time. (My only daily that actually made me money when I sold it!)

The issue for me was that it wasn't old enough to be the car I wanted to take out on the weekends and I no longer wanted it as my daily.

I still think they are fantastic cars and really attractive especially with the hips of the turbo or the S.

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    If Porsche re released the 993, I would definitely buy one! Still to this day one of the best cars ever! The car is analog, easy to drive, exciting and extremely well thought out. You can't fault these cars. Ok, maybe I'd upgrade the AC or the stereo. Back to the original post, there are some tweaks, etc to do. It's never going to be super fast though

16. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    My fear is that by "making it faster" you will upset the balance of the car that makes it so wonderful. My Tesla is much faster than my old 993tt. It is what it is but also now 20 years old! Appreciate it for what it is, would be my recommendation.

17. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    This is the 2nd 993 I've owned...

The first one was '95 993 C2 with manual gearbox (US specification, so G50/20 , secondary air pump, but fully loaded with ABD and limited slip, ride height US spec) I sold this one...

The second (current) is again '95 993 C2 with manual gearbox (German Specification, so G50/21 , no secondary air pump, but without ABD or limited slip, normal European ride height).

I am thinking about adding a factory LSD limited slip differential, because my car feels weird when I try to powerslide it... First it spins just one wheel and then it loses traction on both and powerslides... This makes my car's handling unpredictable...

What do you think ? Is it worth adding LSD ? For spirited driving I think it is a must... Plus I prefer my car to oversteer than to understeer...

18. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I would definitely get a LSD for the 993. I would go with Guard, Wavetrac or Quaife.

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    First off, yes the 360 is much faster than a 993. I have a 95 993 c2 and a 95 F355, you feel the extra 100rwhp in the 355.

In my opinion, the biggest downside to the 993 is the gearing. Very short first that drops rpm's off a cliff in 2nd.

I think one of the best thing you can do is re-gear the trans so it's closer to 355/360 ratios (which I think are perfect). And add LSD. Not cheap though, will probably be 12k+

Freshen up the bushings, suspension (new struts, lower ride height/alignment), it will handle great.

As for the engine it really depends on your goals. I would personally keep it naturally aspirated. (just my preference)

20. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    You are right about the gearing in the 993 !!

When I was a student in the US , I owned a US spec 993 C2 with G50/20 , and there was a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd gear... I remember 3rd gear would get you to 100+ MPH, but it was very long for spirited driving where you need close ratios...

Instead of swapping gearbox (very $$$) , I did something better...
    When the time came to buy another 993, I bought a Euro spec which has G50/21 gearbox which is properly geared !! As the car should be !!
    I believe the G50/20 (US gearbox and used in Europe for Varioram OBD 2 cars 285bhp) was meant to be more fuel efficient, rather than performance oriented...

I believe LSD is a must, but I want to go with OEM !!

21. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Seeing as how I currently drive a Lotus with 278HP I say keep it stock. You currently have a faster car why try to turn this one into something it's not. Right now you have a classic and should enjoy it as such.