2007 911 turbo or 2011 911 turbo S | FerrariChat

2007 911 turbo or 2011 911 turbo S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Oengus, Dec 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

which would you buy and why
    price gap is about 20k

07 is tip 11k miles
    11 is pdk 20k miles

2. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I've had a '03 996 Turbo Tiptronic, a '10 997 Turbo PDK, and just got a '17 991.2 Turbo S PDK. My recommendation is to definitely go with '11 PDK. It's light years better than the Tiptronic. Drive the cars back to back and I think you'll agree.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

thanks John
    appreciate your input....leaning towards the .2 pdk

4. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I've had a number of Porsche's through the years. That plus hearing from other people time and time again being the PDK is in another world better. The Tip is not much fun at all.
    Manual>PDK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tiptronic. The $20k extra will come back to help when you sell the car as well. Plus being that much newer. You'll recoup a lot of that money when you sell or trade it in later on.

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

thx Jim......agreed

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Turbo S with PDK all the way.

The PDK transmission is amaking. I have had a GT3, GT3 RS and now have a Targa GTS 4 - all with PDK. I also have an F12 and I hate to say it, but PDK is noticably superior to Ferrari's dual cluch.

7. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Thanks Steve for the input

Chas

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    +1

Tiptronic is deal breaker on sports car. Pdk all the way

9. Stockmarketman

Apr 23, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Launch control and more hp and 4 years newer. Worth $20k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

yup yup

11. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Why not manual ?? If it's an everyday car, go PDK... If it a weekend toy, go manual !!

12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    2007 also has the weak IMS bearing and it's not serviceable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

hard to find turbo s in white

14. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    No IMS problems on the Mezger.

For 20k difference get the 2011

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    I have an 08 and like it a lot, but its a stick. I would definitely take the PDK model.

16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have a '08 turbo with tip and have driven '11 4S with PDK - no comparison PDK is way better. The 996/997 turbos do not have any IMS issues different engind than Carreras.

But likely you can get a much better deal on the 07 turbo with tip if there is a budget issue. Otherwise no question about the PDK being the better car. Also the '11 997.2 has direct injection and better electronics - Nav bluetooth etc. Would only get the 07 if the budget is main consideration.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The last 997 turbos in stick will become collector items. Get one now.

Just say NO to Tiptronics.

18. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No issues on IMS with any of the Turbo cars because it is a Metzger engine. IMS also corrected for the 997 series.

19. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah that was my bad, obviously. Sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

20. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I endorse this prediction.
    I'm keeping my 2007 TT manual not for the potential resale vale but because it's such an outstanding DD
    Super fun, sexy and reliable
    Only caveat is coolant hose failure can make a good day bad.

21. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy

As said previously the 996/997 Turbos don't have IMS issues. It was the Carreras which had IMS issues which were corrected in the 997.2. The gen one Carrera's still had issues.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Odd, no one has mentioned the most important aspect, the PDK allows the car to stay on boost in between shifts.....THATS how all the sub 3 second runs are possible.

23. t78beast

t78beast Rookie

Jul 14, 2010
    I have been noodling buying a pre-owned 2011-2015 911 turbo - there is ebay, autotrader, forums and then the dealers... I like a good value but also don't want a car that has been used and abused.

What do you think is the best way to find what I am looking for? Just get a PPI and hope for the best? Looking for some direction as I hate to pay retail at the dealership.

The turbo will have under 15k miles if that matters.

24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    do all the necessary research, ppi, etc for a private sale or pay more to dealer for a cpo with warranty. not much else to chose from

excellence magazine has good buyers guides you could check for reference too

25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #25 randkin, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    I would be inclined to stay away from EBay unless a Pdealer owned car since you can almost never do any real good research on the car and often hard to get a PPI. Usually you can’t actually see the car which is a personal prerequisite for me buying used.

The site I like best cars.com "advanced search" as you can narrow the alternatives to pretty much exactly what you want better than other sites and they seem to have more listings IMO. Currently 207 nationwide with 30k miles or less listed at cars.com under $150k thru 2011-'15 and 248 w/ no price limit. There are less "good deals" on turbos - just less made and individual owners of turbos usually don't have to sell car in any time frame otherwise they would have traded them in for the replacement car. Most cars are either black, white silver or grey, a few are Guards Red. Every other color is not available in any kind of numbers.

Also some dealers seem to make a market in turbos more than the smaller Pcar dealers. (Rusnak in Thousand Oaks, CA tends to be such a dealer) I would not overlook dealers as they have some of the best examples and are often CPO, nothing wrong in paying retail if you get exactly what you want. As opposed to getting a deal on something close but doesn’t check all the boxes. Besides all dealers negotiate just don’t get emotionally involved with any one car. Also I would expand the mileage to 30k rather than 15k more cars available and you are a little more likely to find a better deal. 30k is still pretty low annual mileage for a 2011/12.

Finally go to your local PCA for C&C and ask around you just might find a jewel that hasn’t yet hit the market. Also Panorama magazine (PCA’s monthly) always has a turbos for sale section and the membership person at the meeting may have extra magazines available for prospective members. My wife usually has a few at our C&C meetings. Good luck hunting.