Move to a Porsche GT4? | FerrariChat

Move to a Porsche GT4?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 348Marky, Dec 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello guys, I'm playing with the idea of swapping my F430 for a GT4. I've had many porsches in the past, the most recent being a 2013 Cayman S which I loved.

Reason for the consideration.....always concerned where I can take it/park the 430 etc, potential problems (always listening out for odd noises etc) & ongoing repair costs (not whether I can afford, more like do I WANT to afford?).

I've always been taken with the GT4 & feel I could use it more with less worry all round (the car I'm looking at is a 2016 car with less than 1000 miles). Also I'm not sure how much slower (if at all) it would be in the real world?

Has anyone driven one, or even changed to one? Any thoughts/ideas/impressions etc?

Thoughts folks? :)

2. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    It seems like I see many for sale. Not sure if it's speculators bailing out, or just lack of satisfaction with the car. I personally wouldn't make that change. I drive my f430 in the real world and my c5z track car on track. Perfect combo.

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well, i think the GT4 would be a bit more robust than a ferrari (having owned many p-cars before). Have you visited the 987/981 boxster/cayman forum on rennlist to check out the commentary?

4. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have not driven one, but if I were to get a Porsche, that's the one I would get.

Still, it's not going to be the same experience as a Ferrari--good and bad. You can actually park it and leave it. That's a pretty big positive, but I still wouldn't sell the Ferrari if I only had space for one.

5. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've been considering buying a GT4 as a daily/track car for a while. Other than the tall gearing, it sounds fantastic. That said, I don't think I'd trade an F430 for it.

6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #6 uhn2000, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    I owned one along my FF for a few months as a wait car but I quickly realized that it's not a city cruising car. Its a very focussed machine and yes might be easier to live with but your giving up alot to go from a 430. I sold mine after about 2 months as a trade against the CaliTHS we are waiting for - I thought I might keep it forever but its a weapon that needs to be driven hard to extract it's potential and my city commutes (plus bum left knee) were not a good fit Best of luck.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

7. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Ferraris are never practical it seems. My 360 sits on a lift for our long winter. It was suggested to me to check out 996/997 C4s. It looks like one of the can be had for $25-40k.... Perhaps this will let you keep the 430?

8. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    I was thinking about making this move myself, drove many caymans but not a gt4. they are great cars. I think the cayman would be a better car overall but the 430 more of an event...

9. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    The GT4 is a blast to drive. The two cars are somewhat different, so have a go and see what you like. And yes, it's a car with that special something.

10. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I have a 997 C4S which I use daily and an F430 which I use primarily on track. The Porsche is great to drive and eminently more usable as a daily but I'd certainly miss my 430 if I sold it. It's just so much more of an event to take out and push to the ragged edge. Maintenance costs are at least double the Porsche though.

11. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    The GT4 is a fantastic car, but more track oriented than the 430. If you were going to do more DE's then the GT4 would be a better car due to reliability and lower cost of consumables. The 430 will feel more special. As a street car, the ride will be similar. The GT4 will feel smaller inside. Real world speed will be similar, but the 430 feels more "punchy." If you like shifting, the GT4 is one of the best. Drive it and see what you think. I've never driven an S to compare, but a regular and GTS cayman. The GT4 to an S to me, feels like a scud to a 430, but more livable.

12. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    A lot of them being sold with the "sofa seats" in them, since the first ones
    out were mostly the comfort seats.

13. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Excellent write up, and right on the money !

14. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the opinions guys, it's appreciated. I would have to drive one first I know, as a few above, I've a good bit of experience with Porsche, just not any of their GT cars. Sadly I've only space for 1 car (as we also have my wife's car & a van to accommodate too), otherwise it could've been an option.

I think the fact of being happier to use it all year round (especially with the mostly-rubbish British winters!) is more important to me than I'd realised. I'm getting onfine with the F1 gear shift, but do quite like a manual gearbox still. It's interesting about your quote zCobra about the GT4 to an S is like a Scud to a 430.....did you mean GT4 to a GTS as you said you'd not driven an S?

I have had a few experiences of coming back to the car recently to find people not only taking selfies with it, but actually leaning on the engine lid or front wing for the pics! I'm not sure I'd get that with another Porsche? By the way, I was less than happy each time!

Thanks for the input so far guy's, I'm going to set up a drive at the Porsche dealer I used to use & see what I think. Don't want to regret the decision! (1st world problems eh!!) :)

15. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Love my 430, and the wife's GT4 too. Was not much of a Porsche fan before, but the GT4 has changed me. It is an awesome car to drive--so solid--handles better than the Ferrari--easy to drive fast--and expect it to be much more reliable. I would not want to ever give up the 430, but a GT4 is a fantastic replacement.

16. titangolf

titangolf Karting

May 25, 2010
    I own a GT4 now and had a Scud in the past. Two totally different cars. I seem to drive my GT4 more often than my current paddle car (Huracan). I am starting to enjoy driving three pedal cars more than paddles. Probably because I grew up with manual cars. Porsche really got the GT4 right. My only gripe is that it feels a little low on power, but that can be changed with upgraded headers and a tune.

17. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I am currently looking to make the exact opposite switch. I have had my GT4 now for about 16 months now and getting the F car itch. I have always wanted one since I was a small boy but the maintenance fears have kept me away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    #19 Jon H, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Well I don't own a GT4 but a Spyder which is nearly the same. I can tell you that I basically DD the Spyder. I drive it everywhere. It's 'easy' and I'm sure the GT4 would be the same. I've owned many Ferrari's, and they are more of a 'special occasion' car (which is cool). But for something that is easy, bullet-proof, can drive anywhere and with no concerns about rollin the odometer I can't recommend it more. I sold a 997 GT3RS which was great but every mile put one it the value went down ... a lot. :(

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Looks great in Silver!

21. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    Thanks!

I have not seen another that was all silver - body, wheels, wing upright.

22. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I had a 430 for many years and now a GT4 for the past year.

The 430 is more exotic, faster in a straight line (about 8.5 sec to 100 mph vs 10 sec from my measurement), has a lot more spacious cabin, but a lot less trunk space. Softer suspension, more comfortable seats, and a lot more noise.

But the GT4 is more fun, can be used daily, much more sporty suspension, and the manual gear shift is excellent. It's altogether a more serious performance car than the 430 and much more suitable to the track. And much cheaper to own and drive on the road or track.

One car is a proper exotic, and the other a serious sports car. Both excellent in their own way.

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #24 UroTrash, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    I predict the GT4 will be the first Cayman to gain classic status along side the GT2, RS.

Not that it is a reason to buy but I believe (after a few years drop) it will maintain and increase value.

But, I've been thinking about it a lot so what do I know?

24. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Agreed - it will be a classic as the first GT Cayman and a wonderful drivers car.
    But, hard to say on price appreciation as Porsche made many of them. Perhaps ~3,500 cars.