What's this 911 worth? | FerrariChat

What's this 911 worth?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by carwhisperer, Jan 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carwhisperer

carwhisperer Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #1 carwhisperer, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a line on a 74 911. It looks to be the subject of an above average amateur restoration. It has a nicely done aftermarket EFI system. 15" Fuchs with no center caps. No rust anywhere. Factory sunroof. New interior including dash and headliner. Super clean in the trunk and engine compartment. Leaks a little oil around the cam covers and engine case joint. No puddles. Runs excellent. Needs new tires. Paint is shiny but has a few runs. Masked off really well or probably painted without the trim. Says 911S on the engine cover, but VIN says it is a 911T or E.

What's it worth?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That looks like a fun little car. Most people want the car to be stock to retain its value, but mods sure are fun! Is it a 2.7 or 3.0? MY1974 was only a 911, 911s or Carrera. Is the VIN 91141, 91143, 91144 or 91146?

3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I recently purchased a 74 911 myself.

In 1974, for the US, there were three models of 911 available: the "base" 911, the 911S, and the Carrera. All had the 2.7 liter engine, and the 911S and Carrera shared the same engine with about 25 more hp than the base 911.

If you post the VIN, we can determine which model it is.

I couldn't be happier with my car. 27K original miles, almost 100% original Mexico Blue paint, 100% original interior and engine. I have the engine out of the car now for a full reseal and other freshening; with those low miles, those original oil seals are long perished. The car runs beautifully, and I'm planning a 1000+ mile caravan with other Porsches to the Werks Reunion in Amelia in March.

I really paid up for the car, and many people ask why I bought a 74, when I could have gotten an earlier long hood car. The answer is that, for me, the classic 911 shape is the short hood "G body" car, the 74-89 body. And, the 74 is the lightest and simplest G-body 911 of them all; yes, it has the notorious 2.7 liter magnesium case engine, but one of the biggest contributors to the engine problems was all of the emissions equipment introduced in 1975. (thermal reactors, etc.) And, once you sort the other 2.7 issues out, it's a very raw feeling happy-to-rev engine that pairs beautifully with the mid-70s 911.

I also happen to believe that the "mid-year" 911 (1974-1977), always at the bottom of "classic" 911 values, will have its day value-wise. But only the truly original and documented low mileage cars will really be worth anything; I would stay away from modified cars if you're looking for any kind of possible appreciation.

4. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Nice car and how Much was the EFI conversion ?

I have a 911sc and a 964c2.

5. billswim

billswim Rookie

Jan 31, 2014
    Oakland ca
    Full Name:
    Bill
    If that's the EFI set up I think it is it's around $7k for everything. IMHO 74 is the best year for the 74-77 cars for all the reasons Brandon pointed out but I just don't like the visual of em without the rear flares. 2.7 engines make great exhaust notes and still want to rev. Everything after, while more reliable and powerful just don't sound the same.

6. carwhisperer

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    What is it worth?

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #7 4CamGT, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Brian,

Value is based on:

1) What model/year (give the first 5 digits of the VIN)? That will tell us a lot. What's confusing is the dashboard has a center vent that wasn't on a '74 (introduced on the '77 model year) but it has the lower side vents which were. Look at the VIN plates and body stamping in the trunk and on the driver's A-pillar. If you post photos of these, we can tell you what you have.
    2) Original Color? Colors like a Mexico Blue, Lime Green or Continental Orange add value, some are neutral (Grand Prix White) and some are less desirable. This of course is subjective.
    3) Matching Numbers or modified (what was done? Some mods can add value, some can reduce value)
    4) Overall condition?

I don't think anyone can put a ballpark on value without knowing the above.

Freeman

8. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Very simple question with a very complicated answer. Since you're the potential buyer, how much are you willing to pay for it? Intrinsically? Not much. It is a used car with performance that a $30K brand new Mazda MX-5 will completely, totally, surpass. This makes it a purchase based on emotion. Does it really rock your world? Then it's worth a ton. I own a 911 but I think anything prior to a 964 drives like a hot rodded VW Beetle, blasphemy to some. But drive one back to back with a new 911, or that Mazda, and you'll probably wonder what all the fuss is about. I know I did. I had a line on a really nice '85 but was soooo disappointed after actually driving it.

Next, do you have the skills, tools, and facility to (inevitably) repair it? Or will you have to find a great shop that is hopefully close by? I'm really not trying to disuade you at all, but simply passing on my experience.

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #9 4CamGT, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

Brian,

Since you are investigating buying this car, I would do your due diligence on authenticating what this 911 is. A 911T or E VIN, represented as a '74 and some evidence that it could be a '77? I would want to look at all the VIN stampings on the body and chassis plate and make sure they haven't been tampered with and that it belongs to the year model. If not, why? Always a good idea to be careful.

Freeman

10. carwhisperer

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thank you for the help. I would be buying it to flip it. I was walking by a garage and saw it and found out that it was an inheritance. The guy who inherited it doesn't know much about cars(then again, apparently I don't either!). I think I could get it for $22K. The VIN is 91141xxxxx. The decoder i found says that means 74 model year and either T or E. I think the original color is the yellow that it is. Runs and drives excellent.

If I thought I could sell it in a month for 27 I'd go for it. If it would take 6 months to get 25 out of it, probably not. I'll probably have to transfer the title to my name first, so that's probably $1000 to $1500 right there.

11. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    Hail, brother! I love my Gemini Blue '74 targa. Clean, classy understated lines without tacky fenders and tails. Unassisted steer and even brakes. Power nothing. The beauty of simplicity.

12. billswim

billswim Rookie

Jan 31, 2014
    Oakland ca
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm not 100% certain but I think the T and E classifications went away in 74. There was only a base and S (carrera is a whole different category)and not much difference between the two. Only cosmetics. You have a modified version here so finding the right buyer will be a little harder but if you get it for $22K you should be OK. You will have to title it in your name to get top dollar for it. PM me if you end up buying it. I'm in the bay area and I have a buyer who is looking for this type off thing. Maybe we can both make a little $ in a quick amount of time.

13. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    As I said above, for the US market, there were only 3 911 variants in 1974: the base 911, the 911S, and the Carrera. All of them, including the Carrera, had the 2.7 liter magnesium case engine with Bosch CIS. The base 911's engine was rated at 150 hp, while the 911S AND Carrera shared the same 175 hp engine. Hotter cams were really the main reason for the difference in power; the base 911 actually had slightly more low-end torque with torque peak at a lower RPM.

The Carrera was really only an appearance package on the S. Wider fenders, graphics, ducktail spoiler (in 74 only), black trim instead of chrome. (Again, note that I'm talking about US cars only. In the ROW, the Carrera was a completely different animal, carrying forward the 2.7 liter MFI engine from the 73 RS.)

So, there are no "T" or "E" 911 cars in 1974. 1973 was the last year these designations were used.

When I get home, I'll cross-reference the VIN. But Freeman is right; you really need to figure out what you really are buying. Many, if not most, mid-year 911s are not original anymore, and the only ones that will retain value are the original cars. If you're looking for a quick flip in the prices that you mentioned, however, go for it! :)

14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    91141 is a base 74. We need better pics of the engine as it may be a transplanted 3.0 in there.

4cam is right about the dash. The car also has 77+ door panels.

15. carwhisperer

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
  16. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    Good buy at $22k.

I'd say retail on that car, even with the mods, is somewhere around 28-30.

17. carwhisperer

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks for being willing to commit!

18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Lol. You're dreaming if you think it can be had for $22k or even $30k. I saw a beat 74 coupe in need of a total restoration with rocker and front pan rust get $29k recently. Another 74 coupe with no engine also in need of a resto made $14k. A 74 engine with gearbox in need of complete rebuilds made $7500. The Porsche market is not like the ferrari market which treasures originality. Another point, those early US Carreras are six figure cars and nice Euro Carreras are $300k cars. Lastly, a nice 74 hot rod backdated to 73 RS look with a modded EFI engine made nearly $100k recently, and backdates are not difficult to do.

The hot rod 911 market is hot right now due to Magnus Walker and his last hot rod making some $325k and Singer 911s starting at $400k. The super light mid year cars when done right are the cars to have as they are a good couple hundred pounds less than an SC. They are the last of the super light 911s. EFI systems are not at all cheap to do and I see PMO ITBs which show it was done right, and depending on the rest of the internals in the engine it could be a $25k engine all day.

I do not know about the engine internals so it's tough to say but if it's been gone through then $45k would be a fantastic buy if it's a nice car. Personally I think it's closer to a mid $50k car

19. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

This is just totally incorrect. The porsche hot rod market has completely changed in the last couple years since Magnus walker and Singer etc. The collectible cars must retain originality but hot rods are a totally different animal and very frequently make big $$$

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Brian, seems to be a mismatch of interior, motor, etc. As a base line comparison, here is a fairly stock, matching numbers '74 driver condition for $32.5K asking.
    1974 Porsche 911 | Beverly Hills Car Club

21. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I will concede that there is a market for the "hot rod" Porsche. But, in my opinion, the only ones that will bring long-term value are the "name brand" modified cars and ones with impeccable provenance and/or build quality. And there are very few of these out there.

Otherwise, I stand by my statement that in the long run, the original cars will be at the top of the heap value-wise.

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That's a 3.0L red engine shroud, it looks like, unless he's just painted the original 2.7L one red.

73 was the last year for the 'T' and 'E' models.

FWIW.

23. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That car isn't even driver condition. Look at the rust under the car at the rockers and front pan. That car needs $10k of work to make it rust free alone

24. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Nonsense. All it takes is a bit of close market watching to identify trends. Monitor the Pelican forums and Rennlist for cars for sale and cars sold. All original mid year or SC CIS injection cars do not make more than their RSR replica, RS, or hot rod counterparts, when done right, not to mention when you see one for sale which is in itself not commonplace. Even the early Euro Carreras when modified have made huge $$$ worthy of what they are which is odd as they are already very special cars but it just proves what the market is.

25. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I have an '87 Carrera, so I keep tabs on the marque and its values. I remember when the '74-77 cars were considered the worst air-cooled Porsches you could buy, and were usually sold for $5-10K until just a few years ago. I'm happy to see that has changed. This one looks nice with ITB FE and crank-fired ignition (Electromotive?). Wonder what else it's got?

You should post up on Pelican; they have a sub-forum dedicated to marketplace discussions. People there seem as vigilant (militant?) about values than folks here with Ferrari prices.