1980's porsche paint | FerrariChat

1980's porsche paint

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by henryr, Feb 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i recall the 86 porsche 928 had some type of special paint on the lower rockers. it was soft and bubbly in look and feel. i guess it was designed to withstand road rash, etc.

i did a google search. could not find anything

anyone know what this paint is ? process called ? can i body shop replicate it ?

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I believe they put Wurth shutz on those then painted them.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    thx ill look

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1

5. emcauto

emcauto Karting

Jul 1, 2009
    #5 emcauto, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    ++1

Wurth Underbody seal 0892 091 Beige

Comes in can or can be used with a gun.

Also used for gas tank..wheel wells ... etc

6. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    3m body schutz 08864.

7. Highway-Star

Highway-Star Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    If it is the same as on a 930 and 944's, think it is Wurth stoneguard, applied with a special gun.

Believe correct gun is this, which I bought a few years ago, was about $200 in Finland
    http://www.jj.fi/930/helmalistat/IMG_5156.jpg

You need compressed air to apply it, and can adjust the spray pattern on the gun.

Try it on a few pieces of wood first. Let it dry and compare it to original finish.

You need about 2L of the stoneguard for rockers only, guess more if you experiment first.

Couple of tips from my experiences:
    1. Low (air) pressure + wide spray pattern (adjust pattern from gun)
    - if you use high air pressure, resulting texture is more fine than original finish from factory.
    - also high pressure will result in surface that has "moon craters" - original finish does not have them, so do not use high pressure.

2. Don't attempt to over do on thickness. Surface is finished when it is finished.
    - so stop it when it looks right
    - if you go too long, too thick, craters will come on surface, a bit like you would spit peas on to yoghurt or something like that.

It is easy to apply, no rocket science. But still I recommend get a couple of extra litres. Experiment, note what you are doing, and when you found the perfect finish on pieces of wood, then do it on rockers.

It is less than 1 minute to spray it on one side of car (rocker), and it is quite a fun job to do.