Winter fun car opinions | FerrariChat

Winter fun car opinions

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by BladeMD, Mar 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    So with having to keep the 360 on a lift for ~6 months a year, I have performance car withdrawal.

Since an FF is still outside of my budget, I've been looking for something else to feed the need that is AWD.

I've narrowed it down to a Cayenne or maybe a 996/997... but I'm leaning heavily towards a Cayenne Turbo because it's a 5-seater and a big family.

The 957s have a much better price point but the technology is still from 2004.... versus the 958.1 has more 21st century tech, but it's still is depreciating rapidly, and the 958.2 is still too high on the depreciation curve.

Where I live, I have a Porsche/Audi dealer about an hour away, but still limited opportunity to test drive these.

I'd appreciate commentary/opinions from anyone willing to share experiences with these cars.... thanks!

2. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    i'm in Winnipeg and just turned the clock on one year and 50k miles on my 997 turbo. We've driven about 6k of those miles. not one issue throughout the winter here (thus far touch wood got a blizzard today).

highly recommend it. kids in the back and front. can put a roof rack on. awd doesn't get stuck in snow. fires up at -30 to -40C. No complaints whatsoever.

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Right around the time I decided I needed a winter rat due to all the salt and brine they have been putting on our roads lately a buddy said he was going to sell his 12 yr old Mini MC40. It's a special edition they made to comemorate the 40th aniversary of Paddy Hopkirck's 1964 victory in the Monte Carlo Rally in a Mini Cooper. That really put Mini Coopers on the map. It's supercharged and has a lot of John Cooper Works stuff. It only has 32k miles and was almost free. The thing is a blast! I had to install a radar detector because the supercharger whine is so addictive I'm constantly mashing it.

4. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Great to hear from you tbuff... I'm only 2 hours south of you across the border. Damn close to pulling the trigger on a 958 cayenne TT, but I love the 997s too. Will consider some if i can find something somewhat local to test drive.

Thanks!

5. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Thanks for input John... is the mini AWD?

6. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    No, FWD with a set of Blizzaks. It gets along fine as long as the snow isn't up to it's chassis.