New 911 | FerrariChat

New 911

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by leead1, Apr 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #1 leead1, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    I just bought a 2017 Porsche 911. It has been awhile since I drove a 911. A gentleman ordered the car optioned to the max than never took delivery.

Not very fast compared to some of my other cars but a great fun sports car and driver. I must admit I am excited.

Except for my first Porsche many years ago this is my first non turbo Porsche. I frankly forgot how much fun these cars are to drive. This car has a knob where you can change the car exhaust sound with four settings. Maybe this is standard not sure. It also has "hill hold" that engages automatically. This holds the car on a hill without using the brake. The car just sits on the hil to you are ready to move. How cool is that? I was able to get manual which is getting harder to find.

They are bringing the car to my home tomorrow. I am a lucky 71 year old kid and I will never grow up :)

I love the car Gods :)

Lee

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bravo! Keep living the dream.

3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Congratulations!

If its a 2017 911 then it most definitely has a turbo.

I just spoke to a friend today who recently went to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and drove the new 911....he was amazed at how there was no turbo lag. He said if you wouldn't have told him it was a turbo, he would have thought it was NA. Maybe this is why you said its a "non turbo"? ;)

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Brandon you are most likely right about the turbo. I remember something after your post about a six cylinder twin turbo. Hell I don't even know what a bought :). The car did drives very good.
    Thank you for correcting me. I do remember there was no power lag it all seemed seamless and being surprised. I remember snaking to be sure the car was a 3017 model.

[Best
    Lee

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Lee, congrats on the new car. Did you get the regular 911 or the S? I'm enjoying my 2013 C4S with a manual transmission.

6. Lonnie

Lonnie Formula Junior

May 22, 2013
    NY/Delray Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Mandel
    Good luck I took one for a test drive on Saturday, what a fun car. It is a turbo and performs very well with a manual trans. I'm getting out of my Panamera and will daily drive a 911 Carrera convertible.

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I got a regular 911.

Today was my first full day of driving. They are just wonderful cars this is my fourth 911 not the fastest car but it is a great compromise of performance and handing.

best

Lee

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Usually the hill hold systems only last for 5 seconds or so before they let the car roll back. I don't think you can sit there for ever.

Congrats on the 911.

9. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Congratulations and enjoy. I just got my first Porsche last month (GT3) and have been enjoying the heck out of it.

10. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    post some photos!

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    That is important and they never told me that at the dealership or I forgot it. I will ask that question to find out.

Thank you for the post

Lee

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Wow I always wanted one of those but could never find one. I am so jealous :)

You my friend have quite a collection of cars.

Best

Lee

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It likely varies from car to car so worth asking. I thought FL didn't have hills anyway? LOL

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    hill hold does not have a timer, from personal experience the hill hold does not release until the car is given throttle even for extended period of time ( at least for time measured over a few minutes)

15. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    Porsche recommends a 4000 mile break in... I found my car to be very tight until it got some miles on it...making it feel like it wasn't willing to run... it gets better as the miles get put on, give it a chance, when it loosens up it will give you a good kick in the grass ... odds are it is faster than the perception you get and should be faster than your previous cars ( regular production ) the std 911 and S get a 3.0 liter 6 cylinder turbo charged engine... the turbo reference is deleted for the 3.0 911 & S and is retained for the 3.8 Turbo models... a bit confusing

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats on the new 911. I got mine as a prelim to Ferrari ownership; was going to trade it in for an F-car. And, I just fell in love with it, and now I have both! :) I like driving them back to back, the differences between it (a 2011 S) and the Cali really make me appreciate each car even more...T

17. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Lee--I tested mine both at a stoplight and in my driveway. It holds for at least two minutes. Although usually I just take it out of gear and put my foot on the brake (taking it out of gear takes off the hill hold function).

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thank you for the information.

Best

Lee

19. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    You are correct on the hill hold the car just sit on the hill until the drivers does something.

My car mechanic who works on super, exotic and sports cars mostly said the hill hold only holds for seconds The early cars only held to help at a hill with a manual. So everybody is right.

I do not know if the longer hill hold is new with the 2017 or even withearlier models?

Dam I love this car and I appreciate all of the kind words and encouragement.

Life is good :)

Lee

20. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

21. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Lee, congrats! I have had a ton of seat time in the new 991.2 Carrera's, and they drive and perform phenomenally. Sounds like you got the PSE option as well! Give me a shout if there is anything I can ever help with, we have a ton of goodies for all Porsche's as well :)

22. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #22 leead1, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    This 2017 (11 has a switch with several settings to control handling, maybe throttle response and exhaust note. THE CAR AT FIRST felt slow but it either is losing up or I am getting used to it.

I love the car its performance and balance. I am thrilled It is a manual transmission. If I have question I qill seek you out, thank you.

Talking about manuals A Ferrari Tesserossa however it is spelled sough me out. The car has 41k miles on the odometer. The car appearance wise looks perfect. The guy is asking 95K now but was asking $105k or $120k at first. It conversation has been going on for months on a very low burner setting.

Any thoughts or advice? I drove the car and it felt tight. A much better drivers car than my Buick like 458 which I hated or at best was not a thrill to drive. I have no idea if these are good cars and what they are worth?

Best

Lee

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #23 cheesey, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    your Porsche is tight and will be until you put 4 or 5000 miles on it, reserve your judgement until then

the TR is seeing some appreciation from its lows. If you like it get it. It is an older car, like any older car, hope there aren't any surprises. The car is fine, it really gets down to expectations and that it doesn't turn into a money pit. It is an older Ferrari, where "odds and ends" can drain pleasant expectations