considering a 968 | FerrariChat

considering a 968

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by sasso1977, Apr 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    I have recently been getting the itch to get something semi classic, i tend to like the european 80's and 90 's era cars. the 968 has caught my eye.i previously was looking for a 928, but getting one in good condition for a fair price is next to impossible. i like the hatchback and it seems like a good compromise between rarity and reliability. any thoughts , or things to look out for??? or should i just hold out for a mint 928???

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

3. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    The 968 is a rare, beautiful and terrific driving car. Build quality is exceptional and matches the 911 of the era tit for tat.

Compared to the 928, two very different cars. The 928 is akin to a German XJS. Heavy, substantial, comfortable. The V8 is smooth and torque laden as you would expect. The manuals really wake a 928 up but it still feels like a much heavier car. It's a fast touring car in every sense of the word.

The 968 will feel like a mini 928, retaining most of the comfort and usability but is sharper, lighter, less maintenance heavy, better fuel economy. The large 3 litre motor makes plenty of power across the entire rev range and pulls hard. I can't remember the last time I saw a 968 in the wild, they are exceedingly rare cars these days.

Timing belt and clutches are the two biggest expenses. Can't remember if you have to drop the torque tube to do the clutch like the 944 but it's a boat load of labor. Doing the t-belt and water pump adds about $1500. I've owned my 944 almost 15 years and can say they are seriously reliable cars when maintained properly and still a wonderful drive by modern standards. With that said, don't overlook a nice 951 or 944 S2. Lots have been listed on BAT lately.

You're a little late to the party as values have risen dramatically the past 12-24 months, but IMO a low mileage 968 is worth every bit of the 15-20k they're bringing. Ditto for the E36 M3 which has also enjoyed a nice bump in value. 90's cars evolved to the point where they offer enough modern refinement and creature comforts to still be used daily, but are still simple and reliable without all the gizmos we have to live with today. It's a perfect combination.

4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

#4 SimCity3, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    I've fixed that for you ;) :D

sasso1977 let us know how you get on

5. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I've had one - still miss it! They are great cars. My Ferrari has a 3.0 (2.9l actually) V8. The 968 - a 3.0l 4 cylinder! I can't say enough great things about them. Still look great today, both inside and out.

6. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    Wow thanks for the great info guys. I had the car checked by a mechanic friend of mine who lives in the state the car is in. His reviews is as follows.
    Car looks mint and proper wear for a 50 k mile car.
    Drives well, paint is flawless. Interior is mint except for one small crack in the dashboard. AC was not blowing cold, and power steering had a small leak. His opinion is that the car is in good shape . Except for those two issues. Will be making an offer commiserate with low mileage of vehicle and two issues I mentioned. I would rather seller discount price, and I would have these issues addressed locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Good luck and keep us posted! Keep it in good shape and the prices will only go up on them.

8. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    So i purchased the car. anxiously waiting for it to be shipped up to NY form down south.
    pictures to follow.

9. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    ok so car arrived friday night, pretty much what i expected for a car that was sitting for an extended period of time. paint and interior is mint. brakes squeak probably need to be replaced , and probably could use a tune up. but pretty happy with the car. I only need to find a proper shop to go over the mechanicals and get the car in better then new driveability. will keep you guys posted. if anyone has any suggestions of shops in the long island that specialize in older porsches i would appreciate the info...

10. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Congratulations! You'll love the car more more the more you bond with it by taking rides and detailing her up. When you can, would love to see some pictures.

11. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

Great looking car! I had a 944S2 a while back: the more you drive it, the more you'll like it. Enjoy your 968 in good health!

13. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    What Zygo said! Fantastic car, great score! I haven't seen many in white.

14. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    thanks for the compliments. yes the car wears white very well.
    sent it to a porsche shop to get all the services done, and go over mechanicals.
    cant wait to get it back. will keep you guys posted.

15. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    Got the car back from bill rudtner today. He went over the car. New brakes , rotors, Ac compressor, timing belts done , and tune up. Car runs like a top. I put some sport clubs on it to firm up the ride. Went with 9" in the back. Really buttons down the ride. I am in love . And oh yeah took of the top. Totally changes the feel of the car. Here are some pics

16. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Great car! I still miss my 968 cabrio, 20 years on. I think it was my favourite of all my Porsches.
    I installed thicker anti-roll bars front and rear, I think (can't be sure 2 decades on) they were OEM from the UK Sport package (so same as CS). Helped the handling, which was pretty good to start with.

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    looks like the 968 hardtop has uaseable rear seats (toddler in car/booster seat) but the cabrio not so much?

19. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think - and this may be bad memory here - all US cabrios came with Porsche's "package shelf" option on the 968. That is, basically a flat shelf and 2 storage cubbies in the back vs tiny, essentially unusable seats.

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The 968 cabrio rear seats are for (small) masochists only. I had the car in my single days and did drive 3 girls around once for 2 days to the beach and back (2 hour round trip) and rear seat passengers were very unhappy. Worse than a 911 cabrio, for head, elbow and legroom. Shelf probably a good idea.

21. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    my back seats stay folded all the time. by modern car standards this is a two seater.
    to seat four uncomfortably, i rather make believe its a comfotable two seater.by the way i am really enjoying the 968. its a driving experience you cant find in newer cars.