Anyone consider purchasing a Cayenne? | FerrariChat

Anyone consider purchasing a Cayenne?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by F40-R, Apr 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Like the name says, Supercar Advocates, I am an avid Supercar fan. An SUV has never crossed my mind, well not until I met the 2017 Porsche Cayenne GTS.

My approach to the SUV segment has completely changed. Porsche have created a product that they want you to deem as a sports car but with all 4 corners raised, providing you with a similar feel and thrill to their sports executive lineage called the 911.

I’ve been left with, smiles, a cheeky grin and a very confused sentiment as to what makes an automobile purely fine.

https://youtu.be/dhjlzKyVOrk

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I could not disagree more. No disrespect but it drives like a SUV. I am sure it is a well build SUV as all Porsche's seem to be.

I just bought a 2017 911 and I love the car. The dealer loaned me a new Caynne and it drives nothing like a sports car any sports car not even lesser cars than the 911.

If someone wants a SUV I am sure the Porsche is better or equal to most. Mybe the model they loaned me was a lesser model than the GTS as you called it

Best

Lee

3. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I'm on my 2nd Cayenne. Would buy a 3rd. Can't imagine a better DD for pounding around town.

I loved my 911... but it's just too much of a pain when you have to haul people and cargo around.

4. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Night and day difference between PDCC equipped cayennes and those without

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats. The Cayenne GTS is what hooked me on Porsche. You put your foot down, and for the size, it pulls great! Drives great. I was ready to buy it, but then test drove a 911 S, and that's all she wrote (we have a pickup truck for hauling). T

6. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I think the Macan drives much better you should consider it

7. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #7 mclaudio, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    On our third Cayenne. Just some of my perspectives on Cayenne ownership:

1. Model trim level/options make a difference on the various Cayenne models. I like the GTS trim the best

2. Physics dictate that a Cayenne will never perform as a sports car such as a same-era/year 911. But for public streets, its handling capabilities are more than sufficient as a sports vehicle. In fact, I changed to skinnier tires on my GTS just so I can reach its limits at lower speeds. Then if I want to go faster, I have access to race cars

3. Compared to other SUVs or even wagons, I think it is hard to beat as a jack-of-all-trades, go-anywhere vehicle that you can enjoy with more than just one friend or family member - a type of fun that I have not enjoyed in any of my past 911s

4. If I can only have one car, a 911 would be in my garage. If I can have two cars, a Cayenne and a Ferrari are my top choices. For three cars and up, a Cayenne would still be in my list before a 911 street car. Just for context, I will always have a soft spot for 911s as they were my teenage dream car and I have owned over 10 of them.

8. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    #8 Patrick21x, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am on my second Cayenne. I have only had Turbo S trims as those are a big leap in performance over the base models. My older Turbo S had quite a bit of Turbo Lag, but the newer model is absolutely a blast to drive. The GTS is a good option too, but the Turbo S has quite a bit more power. With the Turbo S in Sport Mode, ride height set in low position, and suspension on Sport, it absolutely handles like a decent sports car. For an SUV I think it handles the best of anything else in its category. I have driven the Range Rover SVR, and the BMW X5. Out of them all, I thought the Turbo S was the funnest and handle the best. Yea, maybe not like a 2 door exotic sitting 6 inches of the deck, but it clearly can handle its own. By far the best daily I have ever owned with the FF in a close second. I like the Cayenne over the FF simply for the extra room and the SUV is much easier to bring my little 2 year old daughter with me on trips and such. Last thing I liked about the Turbo S over the GTS and base models in the Turbo S seems to hold its value much better than the others.

I did have quite a bit of work done the the Cayenne Turbo S including a TUBI exhaust which makes it sound like a beast. Nice Deep tone with some gnarly gurgles when down shifting. I have never heard a Porsche SUV or any other SUV sound so good. A nice tune and exhaust will add close to 100 HP :) A tune on the GTS only gets about 40 HP Do yourself a favor, Get the Turbo S. No one expects to get beat from a red light by an SUV. Its a total blast to drive and the turbo pulls and pulls. Hands down the best grocery getter a guy could have.

Heres a couple pics of my Turbo S on Vorstiener Wheels.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Huge price leap from a GTS to the Turbo S. I think the GTS is a good balance, nonetheless your Turbo S looks great.

10. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    #10 vrooom, Apr 29, 2017
    here is a shot of my 2014 turbo s , with the sport design package it looks like the gts except it has 550 hp . however the turbo needs to be lowered to have the stance of the gts. (mine has a lowering module ). have blizzaks for winter trips. have to agree with previous posts - it's a truck and does not handle like a sports car. but plenty fast on highway. dz

11. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have a Turbo S that's tuned to over 650 HP. Best vehicle (not SUV) I've ever owned. Stock she's a beast - but she takes to mods like a champ. I got her for the wife and it was so good I bough 4 911's that year. 911's are gone, but we still have the cayenne.

Erik

12. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Anyone have any feedback on 957 body? Thinking of picking up a 2010 Turbo S. Always loved the look of them.

13. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have the 16 Cayenne GTS. Though I love porsches and have had several, I actually wasn't a huge fan of the cayenne . However this is the car my wife wanted and if we were going to get a cayenne I thought the GTS was the best trim from the standpoint of power, options, and price/value.

The cayenne gts is a very good car, easy to drive and is certainly one of the more sports car-like SUVs. However, it's still a SUV. I also have a 2012 Range Rover supercharged which is my daily and honestly as a SUV I prefer the RR more than the cayenne. I would have thought the cayenne would hands down be a better drivers car but for some reason (and maybe its more psychological) the RR drives better as a SUV. No doubt the cayenne accelerates and corners better but I just like daily driving the RR more.

I do have the alcantara gts seats which have high thigh bolsters so getting in and out of those seats on the cayenne is kind of a pain which I didn't even think about and didn't really notice during the test drive but became more apparent after living with the car for a few days.

Also for comparable sizes SUVs the cayenne has quite a small trunk because of its rounded back end. We had a Lexus rx350 previously which is similar in size but the trunk isn't as rounded and therefore space was maximized but the cayenne trunk is noticeably smaller. That might not matter for some people looking at cayennes but just something to note.

I did test drive the Macan turbo when we were deciding on the cayenne. Though the cockpit is supposed to be very similar to the cayenne the fit and finish didn't feel as tight as the cayenne. The macan certainly felt lighter and more car-like vs the cayenne. I have spoken to several people coming from 911s that they don't lose that much with the macan in terms of performance as a daily, and that's probably true driving around town. However the trunk is tiny and you can't fit a set of golf clubs in there so just be aware.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    The GTS is for the wife... I've tested so many different SUV's and decided that the Cayenne was it. The Macan is a little tight, less leg room and a much smaller boot space. The Macan however, did feel more like driving a car rather than an SUV but overall, the Cayenne was the better choice... I think this is represented in the model hierarchy as well.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I hate SUVs but my wife loves them so of course we have owned a series of LEXUS LX5XX or Lincoln SUVs so finally I got my dealer to lend me a CAYENNE TURBO for a weekend as that was the ONE SUV that I actually thought was fun to drive .... The next week my wife ordered a 2016 TURBO with the GTS appearance package .... she loves it and I really think its pretty great SUV we have had it about a year now and has about 15000 miles drives great sounds great (sports exhaust) fast and handles pretty good for an SUV..

16. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  17. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If you remember that these are SUV's and not sports cars they are magnificent.
    I have had a Macan S as my DD for the last 2 years and I love it. At first I was disappointed as I kept thinking it would be like a Cayman or 911 but once you remember what it is, a small SUV, you realize how good it is. People who rave about it being like a 911 probably never spent much time in a 911. Cargo space really does suck though and as recently as 3 weeks ago I thought about moving up to a Cayenne again but then I drove one as a loaner for 2 days and realized the Cayenne is not nearly as capable, at least in S trim. Maybe if I could afford a Turbo S but it still drives like the big SUV it is, though I think better than any other SUV. Can't really lose with any of these.

18. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I love my Cayenne Turbo, it has required some maintenance but is a blast to drive. Would definitely purchase another.

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    There's a big difference between the Cayenne and the Cayenne S (my parents' daily driver). Haven't ever driven a turbo, but I imagine a jump there too.

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Agreed. Test drove variants up to and including the GTS. Base = blah. S = getting better. Diesel = nice torque. Hybrid = meh. GTS = winner!
    T

21. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #21 jvmax, May 4, 2017
    The sweet spot is a used 2013-14 Cayenne GTS (2016 GTS went twin turbo V6). NA V8, no turbo's or superchargers, very sporty, definitely the drivers SUV. If you have a family but want that Porsche Interior/driving style, its the way to go. Found my 2014 last year at carmax, with 10k miles and 2.5 years left on warranty for $69k ($110k msrp). It's been a blast and fits in well with my collection. Mine is Peridot Green

22. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014