Carrera GT how many did they make? | FerrariChat

Carrera GT how many did they make?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bitzman, May 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #1 bitzman, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I remember there was a lot of excitement about this car when it first
    came out as being the ultimate street Porsche and then a couple of bad news incidents happened--one crashing at Fontana
    track and the famous Paul Walker crash--both with fatal results and two road tests said the clutch was impossible.
    So now that some time has passed, what's the reputation of the car, and are they appreciating now? If they produced less than they said they were going to make , it seems that would make it rarer but I don't know how much the bad rep clings to it....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This car has been on my wish list for many years now. My list shows that they made 1,270 over the model run and the 2007 MSRP was $448,000. Hemmings currently has a 2005 silver with 1,688 miles for $739,000 asking. During the financial crisis, some got down into the $300Ks.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    2 years ago they were close to $1m, now back to around $600k-$700k. You can find one with some miles ($20k+) for less than $600k.

The clutch does have a bad rep but if you are told how to use it, it is really not bad at all. Even in stop and go traffic.
    Also the latest Michelin seem to have made it much safer and less nervous.

In today's market, it's the "bargain" to buy.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    to me it's up there with an F40. (relatively) high volumes, yes, but iconic and with a reputation as a widow maker. I agree with Andrew, they're a relative bargain right now. long term you'll do well.

no affiliation but there's one at STL Motorsports, owned by an Fchatter, it's been for sale for a while. I've seen it and it appears to be in immaculate condition cosmetically.

Stock# 1395T USED 2005 PORSCHE CARRERA | St. Louis, Missouri 63005 | St. Louis Motorcars

5. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Its the greatest expression of the Supercar in my opinion, and the last of the truly wild and analogue street machines.

"Racecar for the road," is another term widely used.

Drive one and really get some time with the car and you will understand. Its easy to live with. The clutch can last 30K miles no issues if you learn to drive it properly. Its a drivetrain that is clearly what dreams are made of. See one apart and youll gain an even deeper understanding of why its top level. Completely under appreciated.

Maybe an F50 can mimic the experience, but the CGT is much sharper and much faster at the end of the day. It does not need many revs and has lots of low end torque in that V10. Its a magical car through and through. Not for novice drivers. Some people must have thought they were getting a fast boxster when new and just couldn't handle it.

So glad they made these cars, very unique not to be repeated.

6. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    I've had mine for 10 years now and have put 7000 miles on it. It has had several reputations - a car with a tricky clutch (not true if you have ANY skill), difficult to drive (also not true as long as you respect what it can do).

Its latest reputation is that it is in some opinions, the greatest and certainly the last of the "analog" cars and I agree with everything rmolke85 said ^^^^. It is totally engaging to drive and the experience is extremely rewarding like no other car I've owned or driven. Over time, I think this last reputation is the one that will stick with it.

7. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    They certainly have the best exhaust note of any car I have ever heard.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Clutch is difficult for someone test driving it or driving it very rarely.
    You get used to it very quickly, is a bit peculiar and different to other manuals but that does not make it difficult, just needs learning it.

9. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    A race designed 605 hp normally aspirated screaming V-10 mated with a 6-speed manual gearbox with no nannies, hung in a beautiful stiff open top carbon tub makes the CGT a very unique and extremely engaging car. Porsche pulled out all the stops on this one. But it's the sound that is the icing on the cake!! Aside from a Mclaren F1, F-50 or Zonda nothing else gives you that combination of driver engagement and performance.

Watch this EVO clip on Analog Supercars. Bet it sends you looking for a CGT. It did for me :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su_njTmDciQ

10. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for posting the video John. Do you have any idea what kind of exhaust system is on that cgt? It definitely not stock and it's not a straight pipe.

11. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Oops, that was the wrong video! I don't know what exhaust that was.
    Here is the EVO video on analog supercars I meant to link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCpCbZaD8xc