Porsche to fight the flippers | FerrariChat

Porsche to fight the flippers

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by RWP137, May 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If porche wants to stop flipping they should actualy sell, cars to people who want to buy them instead of restricting supply.

2X I put deposits down at dealers for a 997gt3 twice then waited and was denied. Spent my money with Lotus instead.

Right now you can spec a 991GT3 manual on the porche website for under 160K. Here’s how it will work in reality though, if you want to actualy buy one. The dealer will tell they have limited slots, they will put you on a list for their spececd cars, which will all be fully loaded bloatmobiles. Then when they get delivery the highest bidders will get a car. Thats what happened with the Gt4, then at the end they had a few sitting around because who really wanted a bloated loaded Gt4.

The way it should work, you walk into a dealer, youre told sorry this years allocation sold out, but we can give you a slot for next year, just palce a deposit. You wait 6 or 12 months and get a car youre going to drive and keep.

Good thing at least porche realizes there is a problem and looks to adress it. The simple solution is make enough cars. Or have a policy that no order with deposit will be refused even if there is a wait.
    Lastly if porche is really serious about drivers using cars drop the centrelocks wheels, anyone really using these cars is going to the track and centelocks suck.

Meanwile I wouldnt hold my breath. There is areason Lotus is the last “authentic” drivers car left. They have close on zero brand cachet amomgst the hedge funders, so are devloped for and bought by drivers exclusively, kinda like what the 996gt3 was before those who knew nothing about driving heard a Gt3 was the one to have and porche expanded the bandwidth by making the 991 comfortable and with an AT..

Some guy I know had to have a Gt3 rs because… I guess he had the excess bucks and it was the expensive cool one, then told me it sucked because the ride was terrible and it scraped over speed bumps. Thats porches customer. So how do they sell to the rest of us who maybe can scrape together the money for a superlative car to drive and keep

2. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    believe it when I see it.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    "The purpose of limiting a car is not for it to gain value. We don’t want to be laying money on each car’s roof when they run out of the factory"

this guy is an idiot. has no business running a for profit enterprise. shareholders should demand his resignation.

4. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    He's not "running" the company, he's head of the GT department. I met him at the Porsche Experience in Atlanta when I was watching and waiting for my turn in a GT3RS. These cars were screaming around, full throttle and then full brakes... for hours. He came up to me and asked me what I thought. I said "My takeaway is that I really need to beat the crap out of my 911 every chance I get. He said "Now THAT'S what we like to hear!". I don't think that he's an idiot. I found him to be very impressive. If you ever get the chance to take one of the GT cars around a track, I don't think you'll find him to be an idiot either.

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    well then he should stick to comments regarding engineering as market price discovery doesnt seem to be his strong point.......

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    artificially restrict supply below demand creates this problem. either make more cars or stop complaining....

7. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Maybe Porsche should just hire you as director of marketing. After reading your posts they're sure to be calling someone with such a keen insight and open mind. Their reputation of producing profitable high-demand, high-quality products surely needs the shot in the arm that you feel you can provide.

There is a delicate balance that must be maintained to maintain disirabilty and exclusivity. If they build too many and everybody gets one, the wealthy don't want them. If they price them too high people say they're gouging the public, "I can't believe Porsche wants $500K for a 911R, it's just a tuned last-generation 911 and has one less gear than a base model". However, price it at $190K, offer it to just the high rollers, and now everybody thinks it the freakin' holy grail and pay $600K for it.

The "supply" factor is easy, the "demand" part deals with emotion, and that part is the opposite of logic.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    We need to get rid of new car dealerships or at least have an option to bypass using a dealership and order directly from the factory with it delivered to your door.

Having the middle man dealership imo just causes problems in the transaction of getting a car from the manufacturer to the buyer. It only makes sense if you want to trade in your car or they have a car already spec'd and ready for pickup.

I wish Porsche and others would do that...make as many people order and never release the production numbers. That way speculators have no idea how many exist unless they collect VINs...Manufacturers can still call them "limited production" for marketing as they will not be unlimited and eventually the model year ends and there is a finite they can make with their resources.

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    have them contact my attorney... we'll work something.

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    if your consistently selling your products below market rate don't complain about it and pretend your non economic fix is going to fix an economic problem.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +1

I take this as Porsche realizing they're leaving money on the table. And hey, it's their prerogative.