2017 Porsche 991 C4: worst car I have ever driven. | FerrariChat

2017 Porsche 991 C4: worst car I have ever driven.

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Luxb1, Jun 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    A friend lent me a 991 C4 for an afternoon and I just can't contain my disdain for the thing. It is as heavy as a panzer tank, it is way too bulky for proper gusto-laden B-road usage but here is the worst part: the steering feel sucks. From where I stand, this is the most important factor in a sports car and even comes before weight. Even in sport mode, I didn't have the confidence to through the car into any fast sweeping corners. We had Italian B-roads all to ourselves but I couldn't tell where the limit was. On gloriously sunny Italian roads, it was frustrating.

My verdict: this is the worst sports car I have ever driven. The latest iteration of the 911 is clearly aimed at poseurs. A lowly Mazdaspeed Mx-5 from almost two decades ago would destroy Porsche's latest hunk of junk around a handling course.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Perhaps you would prefer a real wheel drive variant?

The 991.2's are fantastic cars.

3. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    But they certainly aren't sports cars. If Ettore Bugatti were alive, he would describe them as lorries. At the end of the day, Porsche makes what the market wants, and the market is made up of people who think steering feel equals a lack of sophistication.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Have you driven a 997?

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    *shhhh* I want to buy another and would like them to continue depreciating. By which I mean: they are villanous, evil, horrid things that are absolutely putrid to drive and should be avoided at all costs. Especially the GTS models.

6. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    No, but I would expect the electrically assisted steering to be almost as bad. I almost bought a gen 2 Boxster and then I drove it. The steering stunk almost as badly. I was shocked by how bad the handling was.

7. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Maybe Porsche should dismantle an old Scirocco to see what a compact sports car should feel like.

8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fortunately, 997s have hydraulic steering - they're generally considered to have pretty good steering feel. They're also less GT-like (read: shorter, narrower, and lighter) than the 991. While I can't say that you'll like the way it drives and steers, more than a few folks have used it as the "before" in comparison with the 991 to detail what was lost with the move to electric steering.

YMMV

9. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Oh yeah? I should try one then.

10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My comment above about them being vile was entirely tongue-in-cheek. I think my 997.2 is a wonderful car.

11. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Ok then.

Enjoy that!

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Even worse than the E Type,which you reckon 'is ugly'?

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I agree. I have a 997.2S & I think the steering feel is fantastic. I've never driven any other 911 though apart from test drives.

OP... Fascinating post. The 991 gen was the first with electronic power steering IIRC. If you could somehow get your hands on a 997.2S or any other of the 3.8 L RWD 911's of that generation, I'd be interested in your thoughts versus the 991.2 you drove...T

14. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Being an owner of a 76 Scirocco...that is being restored/ hot rodded in the old school German sense. (3.2 VR6, Zender Z1 kit etc) I 100% agree.

15. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Ahah. You have the memory of an elephant. :)

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    While I can understand not liking the 991, you must live a pretty amazing life if that is the worst car you have ever driven.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I thought the 997.2 Gt3 was by far the best driving modern car I have driven and I drove it back to back with a 458 and Mp12 plus a carerra gt the week before. Steering shift feel, the ability to meter power exactly all were excellent. A regular 997 was Ok.

The early 991 I drove was at best ok, the steering was accurate if totaly lackign in feel, the 7 speed stick was simply horrible.

Latest R&T has a test of the new GT3 with stick. They simply loved the car, except the steering, which was great for eps.

Mcalren on the 720 stayed with hydraulics for steering, albeit with an electricaly driven pump.

EPS is ultimately fake synthesised steering, some do it better than others. To be fair hydralic racks sucked from the 50s untill at least the 90s so maybe eps will get there some day.

Eps is used in many cars today because most drivers are too dull to notice and it saves $$$ for manufcatuers while giving fractionaly betetr fuel economy.

Much as I admire what proche is doign for purist drivers, (GT4 and GT3 stick, na mtors) making a worse steering sportscar car to save a few bucks should always be a no no in this segment.

Still, they did keep NA motors and bring back a proper 6 speed stick for the Gt3, maybe next time theyll bring back superlative steerign too.

Personaly of all the moderns regardless of price, I would pick the new Gt3 6 spped, it simply would be more engaing/fun on and off track.
    A performate would be second choice.

18. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #18 Island Time, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    yeah you should. I think you'll find it more to your liking.

find an "S"...make sure it's got sport chrono :)

19. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    NICE!!!!

20. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it is difficult to make an assessment of an otherwise generally well thought of car while one has their head where it don't shine.

21. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    The 991.2 is not a car. It has as much steering feel as a GE fridge. It's a fridge on wheels.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Do you say such off the wall things hoping to elicit a strong response?

23. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Boulderdash!
    I've been through ownership of 458,FF and latest F12.
    I have recently bought a 991.2 turbo as a daily driver - it is superb.Different to the F12,for sure, but superb none the less.

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Hi Bob...I see from your profile that you owned a 997 generation 4S. Care to comment on the steering feel between the two gen 911s? Thanks, in advance...T

25. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Do you ever drive your 4wd turbo on gravel roads like a rally car? That's how demanding I am.