997 GT2 RS? | FerrariChat

997 GT2 RS?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Themaven, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I am anticipating being frustrated in my attempts to secure the upcoming GT2 RS, so my thoughts have turned to the 997 version. It isn't as fast but has the advantage in my eyes of being a manual.

But my, prices have gone up since last time I looked! Do people think that they are at a peak (like the 997 GT3 RS 4.0, for example) and will only drop once the new RS and new GT3 manual pop out? I can't imagine a 350,000 euro 997 will be an 'investment', but I wouldn't want to end up 100,000 or more out of pocket, like people who bought an R last year.

Thoughts? Has the market for these plateaued or are they sufficiently interesting to sustain prices? There were 500 of them made, one fewer than my F512M's production.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's hard to say...the owners that actually drive them actually enjoy it a lot. I don't think they care for them as much as investments and likely won't feel the need to sell.

The people that actually bought it as a longterm investment will probably dump them in a few years when they realize it's not making money that they can make elsewhere. They're not truly rare or race proven like a 993 GT2.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Indeed - and the 991.2 GT2 RS is likely to be better in every way. Maybe I'd better wait. But I need a crazier car than the 996 Turbo S I just sold, which was just too competent.

4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    #4 slm, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    I doubt the 997 GT2 RS will go down in value with production of the new 991 GT2 RS. It seems that 997 GT car prices did not take a hit and acutally went up a bit with the new 991 GT cars. Manual transmission vs PDK is likely a big driver. 991 GT2 RS will be PDK only and there will be no GT2 (non-RS) variant. I am dissapointed that there will be no GT2 (non-RS) variant. I got rid of my 991 GT3 RS because for me it was just too track focused and not terribly pleasant for back country road driving. I am first on the list for my dealership to get a GT2 RS and I may end up passing. I regret selling my 997 GT2. Really liked that car. I think folks will hold on to their 997 GT2 variants or at least don't see prices coming down.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Steve. That's interesting. I'd like a wild 911 but had the air-cooled ones in my youth and like the convenience of the water-cooled ones. I looked long and hard at a 996 GT2 but its reputation did nothing for me - and only 12 more hp than my 996 TT S.

997 GT2 I haven't driven, by reputation is super-refined - too refined? Which led me to RS; but prices are crazy. I also hear the 997 GT2 RS is not as much of a performance step above the 997 GT2 as its figures suggest.

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    My opinion is that the GT2 sits somewhere between the standard turbo/s and the 2 RS. It is not nearly as "refined" as the turbo, but more civilized than the 2 RS. Keep in mind, the GT2 is a beast. Acceleration and handling are impressive even by today's standards. The 2 RS has a bit more HP and suspension improvements to improve lap times. It is faster, but as noted, costs a good bit more. Is it worth it? Depends on what you want and what is the mission. Both are rare and special cars - can't go wrong either way IMHO.

You can probably tell, I miss my GT2. I drank the koolaide and sold it to move to a 991 GT3 RS. I promplty sold the RS after the first rally event I did with the car.

7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Where are you seeing the market in 997 GT2RS? I bought mine new, kept it for 2 years and sold it for $10k more and thought I was a genius - duh. I do have a slot for the new one but wish it was manual.

8. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I bought my 997 GT2 four years ago CPO'ed with 3,000 miles on it and have put 30,000 miles on it since. It's one of the best cars I've ever owned. Shortly after getting it I reflashed the ECU with EVOMS software to get a little more boost and a higher rev limit, supposedly good for +66hp. EVOMS told me I would need a clutch upgrade as well if I did that. I didn't believe a simple reflash would make that much difference, but it was true! Immediately after the ECU flash the clutch couldn't hold full throttle in 4th. I then went with a single mass clutch as in the 2RS and that did the trick. GT2RS intercoolers flow better than the GT2 units and allow the engine to run harder before it gets too hot and then the ECU pulls timing. That's an easy upgrade I did as well. A Guard diff and a Voltphreaks LiFePo battery round out the other simple modifications. I've put many miles on the car since with a few track days thrown in for fun and it's been bulletproof. It eats GT3RS's up on the track and is a pleasure to drive on the street. While it will never be a GT2RS, these simple mods bring a 997 GT2 very close to GT2RS levels of performance, for a couple hunderd K less.

9. 993Godspeed

993Godspeed Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    NYC- LI
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think you cant go wrong with either car. Both are stunning cars. The new 991 will definitely be something special.

Really depends on what you want. Manual or PDK?

10. BO67

BO67 Karting

Oct 11, 2016
    Faraway soclose here
    Full Name:
    Its me
    The new GT2RS is real a Bummer ,but its like they say completly sold ,
    out as i sell These Cars here in Europe.
    BUT for the avarage People the car is to extreme because its Spinning wheels in 5 /6 Gear and Dances left and right. So for an non experienced user its real dangerous !! Believe me!!
    I drove most of the GT Porsches and thats a Hell Car 700hp !

The last true Porsche is for me the new GT3 Manual that will come out in September (PDK much earlier)
    The Price is here about 200.000.-€ and thats a normal Price for a 500HP Car.
    For me thats the Last real Porsche because i want to shift when i want and not when the Car wants.

I think the ADD on Prices going around in US and some other Countrys
    with the 911R old GT2 GT3rs and so on are way to high. I think its Kind of a Bubble even with the 1974 75 76 Porsche 911 The Money most People want is way to high for the Cars and Stuff you get.

I think as the Money is nothing worth today and real estates are to expensive a new market was created with Oldtimer and exotic cars. But only my Opinion.

if i would sell you a Car i would do it with a new GT3 Manual Gearbox in Orange or Black
    spend 200.000.- and you have a car wich goes Shopping with you drives you to your Office and races better than other much more expensive Cars.

good luck
    from europe

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Agree with everything you say and I will take that GT3 right now if you have one...!

12. BO67

BO67 Karting

Oct 11, 2016
    Faraway soclose here
    Full Name:
    Its me
    No Manual has been delivered :) maybe end of Year.
    Noone would Export here the cars when he gets it :) but you should be able to order one in London
    Porsche likes London and its rich Customers :)

It was only my Opinion what i would recommend fairly to a nice Customer :)

Even a GOLF R with allwheeldrive and 300hp is fun to drive and i sold a lot of theses too :)

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ha! Thank you