991 GT3 RS or McLaren 570S? | FerrariChat

991 GT3 RS or McLaren 570S?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Themaven, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    First world problem, as most of ours are here, with a difference. As a journalist I get offered cars to drive by manufacturers. For 5 days in August my office has double booked me a GT3 RS and a 570S. Which would you take?

I may get to drive the other one eventually, but schedules of real work mean that's not guaranteed.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If not going on track then the Mclaren is a more interesting unique car.

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Porsche.

Robb

4. Steve00

Steve00 Rookie

Jan 18, 2016
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would go with the RS. It is so much fun on the road, not just the track. I am just breaking mine in and have been daily driving it.

5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    [​IMG]

Here's my answer....This is coming for me in the next week or two....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I agree on the comment about whether or not the car will be tracked. The RS is remarkably civil and easy to use on the street but the magic of the RS is higher rev, high perf driving. If not using it in that fashion then the RS might not be as exciting as the Mac and I think the advantages of the 570S (power, design, exclusivity) shine brighter.

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks all. I went with the GT3 RS. The magic of the RS, etc. It must be a tough choice for buyers, unless you go with both.

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Some GT3 RS drivers complain of strong understeer that can change to snap oversteer with little warning. Which doesn't make for the smoothest driving experience when pushing on. The tires have to be evenly heated (front and rear) to get the most from the GT3 RS. Don't just spin up the rear tires....
    The real treat for you will hopefully come later sometime with a McLaren 720s drive.

9. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Understeer to oversteer in a 911? No way. ;)

My experience is that the GT3 RS is a brilliant car when driven hard. Keep the revs up and use its 500 HP to get you around corners without any understeer. Then, stand on those brakes hard when you need them and feel your eyeballs wanting to shoot straight out of your head. It'll do it all day long too.

If I had more free time to hit the track I would so own one of them. Congratulations to those who do.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That would make things fun, potentially. I own a few Ferraris including a F512M so quite enjoy that knife-edge thrill. The cars I find it hard to warm to on my review drives - typically a week, on public roads, hard, but never tracks - are the ones that are too good. Both the 458 Speciale and 488 are too good. From something with an RS badge, I want something that will challenge me.

Nearly bought a 997 GT2 RS, never drove one though, not sure if they are the great lost opportunity now prices are crazy, or overrated.

I liked the 650S a lot, having said all that..

11. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

Almost smashed my rs today on track .

Chased around a 570 and it is a proper fast car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Wow; the RS can be a bit of a beast! Glad to hear you and your RS are safe!

Mclaren products seem to be made for speed!

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    In today's terms, the McLaren is more unique and eye catching than the RS. In the long run, I think the RS will hold its value better. The 570s is on the lower end of the spectrum of McLaren cars (entry level) while the RS is one of the flagship Porsches even if prices are similar between the two. Plus, the RS will age better imo.

howydo likes this.
  14. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo

GT3RS every day of the week and twice on Sundays. That car is so utterly mental!

15. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo

This. GT3RS very controllable. Needs to have the sh*t driven out of it. Grip and downforce are mind boggling. Some drivers underestimate what it can do, can't really blame them. But driven all out there are few cars as thrilling and fun.

16. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    I'm fortunate to have a 996 GT3 RS, a Ferrari 458 and a Aston Martin DBS in my stable. I'm also looking to add a Mclaren to the fleet in the near future but only when the time right. I feel that the Mclaren will add something that is missing from all my other cars, its not that my other cars don't make me feel good, its just that a Mclaren will get me there differently.

The 996 GT3RS is manual and has no driver aids its a so pure drivers car, Theses cars came in any colour you want as long as it was White and Red or White and Blue...Lets just say the White and Blue are faster...These 996 GT3 RS's are light and basic compared to the modern machinery. When you drive it you can even feel a matchstick under a tire yet still be able to use it as a daily as long as you don't mind the 6 point harness. It can take a full days racing at the Nurburgring and then do the shopping on the way home...I would say its the hardest car that I've driven as to extract speed out of it can be challenging, but when you get it right its simply the best.

The Ferrari 458 what can I say...my one is a 2010 model with the original ECU so it pops, bangs and crackles all the time, just driving slowly this car will make you giggle...with all the driver aids you can really take the piss...i.e change gear going round corners while braking...which is a cardinal sin in the 996 GT3 RS. The 458 is just like a go kart and you even feel like your sitting in the centre of the car so you just point and squirt, hold on tight and it does the rest...it all depends how bigs your ego is. Or you can flick the manetino switch and feel like your in something closer to the RS...thats how fast you can go...its a weapon in the right hands but I don't think it could take the thrashing of the 996 GT3 RS....But what a noise...This car will make you feel like a F1 driver, trust me.

The Aston Martin DBS is the Carbon Black model so super rare. Its a supercar in a suit. It does everything the 458 can do BUT in its own time. After jumping out of a 458 it feels like its missing a few nerve endings as a lot of the nervousness and drama has been dialled out of the car. Also the controls feel numb...this is not to say that it does not have drama when you drive it. It does, it has a soul and presence but just doesn't shout it out like the other 2 cars. Everyone loves an Aston in traffic and will always let me out at junctions but in the other 2 cars...forget it.

The modern Astons are screwed together better than the older models but even though are still behind Porsche, Ferrari and Mclaren...BUT one thing you can't fault is the dials and switchgear its all closer to Audemars Piguet than swatch in look and style so you feel like you don't want to abuse this car just take it easy and enjoy the ride...Oh by the way the V12 sounds just delicious I would liken it to a quiet thunder, Loud lazy echoey but scary.

Can't wait to add a Mclaren to the fleet. :)