The 356C That Haunts My Dreams | FerrariChat

The 356C That Haunts My Dreams

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by rob lay, Jul 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Cool story - hope she gets it. (think she gets it either way, though!)

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    There is something magical about 356s....especially the convertibles for me. Impossible to explain, kinda funky, underpowered, devoid of fluff and frill...yet somehow organic, primal and visceral.
    Someday I'd like to buy one.

Of course my first car was a '72 VW Super Beetle...so that may have something to do with it. Loved that little car. Lived in New Hampshire and nothing could stop that car....except when I blew the engine on rt 495 outside of Boston. :)

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great story. Brown fits very well to the 356.

5. #5 EarlyCat, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'll never understand how people let them rot and decay when there are plenty of us who would restore them and get them back on the road. Doesn't make any sense

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Easy.

Original owner dead. Family members don't realize that grandpa's old junker is actually worth something.

Happens all the time.

8. They belong to a good friend. The red one was a car I used to run around in during the early 90's in Atlanta. Sadly it got put on the back burner during a divorce. He was lucky to keep it. The second one is a car he bought for parts several years ago before the run up in prices. He is putting it back in covered storage, hopefully soon. He bought it pretty well rusted out for the engine.

9. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The brown car is a survivor.

A rusted car (a typical coupe) will require a lot of money to properly restore and will most likely result in the new owner becoming financially upside down after the mechanical and cosmetic work have been completed.

I would assume you cannot find many rusted Speedster donor cars available for restoration. The Speedster restoration candidates have almost all been located and returned to mint condition examples. Years ago, a photo of a red Gmund Coupe barn-find floated around on the internet. At the time, the owner was not interested in money. A rusted 300SL Gullwing on Cuba, was recently shipped to Germany, for restoration ;).

10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Right now I know of a stash of 356 coupes and spiders owned by one local dude, he's been hoarding and gathering for years. Also has early 912's and 911's. All original cars, nothing restored. Some in decent condition too. Have no idea what his end game is? Seems valuations aren't necessarily shooting straight up anymore? Also knew of an original owner speedster that had an engine fail and became a project...still undone. Car has about 25k original miles and garaged since new!! Not sure if anything has been done with it in the past few years as I have fallen out of contact with the owner. They are out there, especially in my 'hood!

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #11 ralfabco, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    This could be an opportunity in the future. I would assume some of the owners do not leave detailed information about the cars and the families dispose the vehicles in an inappropriate manner.

Approximately 15 years ago +/-, I was tasked to buy a gallon of milk at the local supermarket. I glanced a few pages from a collector car auction magazine. Someone listed a Porsche 904/906 at no reserve, in a muscle car auction. The car sold for around 150K. At the time, this was Diablo money ;).