2016 GT3 RS | FerrariChat

2016 GT3 RS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by SoCal to az, Aug 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thinking about picking one of these up but just read that 2018 GT3 will come out with a manual. Considering that these are currently asking way over sticker, and the 2018 GT3 is same hp, newer components, newer model etc, is the market about to drop significantly on the RS?

I have no problem waiting a bit if that is the case. Would appreciate some insight from those more in the know about Porsche than me. No reason to pay extra if I don't have to.

2. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

I have an rs. I'm getting the new gt3 too.

My dealer quote ; "rs is a better car"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I certainly like the looks of the RS better- more aggressive body package but did he specify why the RS is better?

Ty

4. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    New RS won't have manual. Only the GT3.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I'll be honest- not sure I actually want the manual. There is a significant difference in speed. And I'm pretty certain that Porsche will offer a manual on many of their cars going forward simply because their is demand and they want to curb speculation. The novelty of a manual is going to wear off pretty quick. There is a reason all cars switched to pdk.

6. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    The GT3 RS market has been softening over the last 6+ months. There are a number of reasons for that, including that the RS's had run up in value to $75K+ over msrp and that was not sustainable.

Some people are paying over MSRP for the new 991.2 GT3s, though the car's are out there at msrp or a nominal premium if you search. If you like a manual gearbox then the 991.2 GT3 is the way to go since the 991.1 GT3 and GT3RS were PDK only. Personally, I think that the PDK+ gearbox in the GT3/RS is part of the reason to buy the car - it's such an amazing piece of technology both on and off the track.

A 991.1 RS will cost you a bit more to acquire than a 991.2 GT3, but the RS is likely to hold it's value better so net cost over time should favor the RS. Both cars are incredibly fast and usable, with the RS being a bit more flamboyant (bigger wing, fender vents, etc... ) and the GT3 a bit more under the radar. A new 991.2 GT3 will have the warranty clock starting later so that may be a consideration.

Porsche has not confirmed that there will be a 991.2 GT3 RS. The smart money suggests there will be and when that happens it's logical that the 991.1 RS and 991.2 GT3 prices will take a hit as the owners move to the latest and greatest 3RS. If for some reason Porsche does not do a 991.2 RS then the 991.1 RS's will spike in value as they will presumably be the last of the normally aspirated GT3 RSs.

7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Awesome! Thank you for the great feedback. I do like the look of the RS much better but the value on the regular GT3 is better (assuming you can get one for sticker)

I have not had any luck in finding a 2018 GT3 anywhere. None of the local porsche dealers have any allocation to give. But appreciate the great post and will be on the lookout.

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I agree with Rockminster. In the long run, RS will probably hold better value. Just look at the 997 series cars. However, if he wanted car to enjoy then depends on what she wanted to do with it. Both the GT 3 and GT 3 RS perform incredibly well on the track. In my opinion, the GT 3 is much superior on the road. I absolutely loved with my GT 3. I traded it to get an RS. I was very disappointed in the RS. It's too stiff for my taste on the road and I did not appreciate a tremendous amount of improvement in overall performance driving back roads between the 2 cars. The GT 3 felt just right. Further into running or cars on the track quite a bit, and the RS might be worthwhile.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No doubt if I was to get a 2016 GT3, i can save 60-70k. I just love the aggressive look of the RS but you might be on to something cause the car is going to be on the road much more than it is on the track. Maybe I need to reconsider, save the dollars and just look at the regular GT3.

Drive that for a few years and then later upgrade to the new GT3 or the eventual GT3 RS new version.

Hmm, something to think about.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The price delta between 2016 GT3 and GT3 RS is about 75k. Hmmmm, decisions.....

11. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    most waiting lists are 20-30 deep for the new gt3, many P dealers charging ADM over sticker. Very few allocations so far I have heard, but when these new GT3'***** the streets, I believe that would be the time to buy an RS used for around sticker (high $100's - low $200's).

12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I would imagine the first gt3s must be coming up no? Made a few phone calls and no luck with the GT3. Only option there is a 2016 gt3 and like I said, price delta is about 70k. I'm gonna keep working it over the next few weeks and see what I can rustle up.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think I found a really nice gt3 with low miles that I'm going to try to make a deal
    On. I don't want a garage queen. I want to drive it. A lot! And I think I'm less likely to drive the gt3 rs as I'll mentally be afraid to put miles on it and worry about depreciation. With the 80k price delta, I can drive this into the ground!

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the cliche' stock answer ( mandated ) from Porsche, when asked which is the best car, is always...
    " ...the next one..." :=)

15. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    On the 991.1 GT3, best to get a 2016 if you can swing it. There were some engine mods that occurred as production continued. Only about 200 2016 GT3s built.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I can swing it no problem but i figured if I'm going to save some bucks and get a gt3 instead of an rs, better to just go on the cheap. 2015s are in the 140k range with low miles. 2016s are in the 170-180k range. At that price, I'd rather just spend the extra 40k and go all out with the Rs.

Man I had a plan and now it's back to the drawing board.

Can you tell me specifically what the mods are? Ty for your help.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Spent the last bit of time trying to find the difference ebeteeen the 2015s and 2016. No luck.

The two cars I'm looking at have a 30k difference in ask between 15 and 16. Right now I think I'll just stick with 15 as I can get a lot for that 30k.

18. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    You will not be disappointed.

19. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Rennlist has a very active forum on the 991 GT3/RS and that includes some deep threads on the engine topic. The 2014 GT3s (E -engine) were subject to a well documented engine recall on the early cars. The 2015s were F-engine cars and the the 2016s are G-engine cars that have some oiling changes - presumably there is a reason that Porsche made those changes. I wouldn't rule out a 2015 car but I'd definitely spend up to get a 2016 - just a question of how much.

On the 2018 GT3s, I know of a broker who specializes in the GT3s - PM me if you want his contact info.

20. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Had a '15 GT3 for over 2 years...went to this....worth every cent and them some....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And Porsche just warranties the engines affected by the issues with a 10yr/ 120K mile warranty

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That's a beauty! You feel the price delta is worth it for the rs? I'll be spending more time on the road than the track and I have my 488 to toss around for the exotic feel. I had my mind set on a gt3 but dang son!! That looks gorgeous!

22. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric

Thank you. Been asked that quite often. It's worth every penny....

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    One of the members here has been very helpful and we have been chatting off the boards- Im going for the RS. Time to start hunting! Already have a good lead on a couple of potential prospects.

24. Steve00

Steve00 Rookie

Jan 18, 2016
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #24 Steve00, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thank you Steve. Been looking for the right car. Gonna be pulling the trigger soon. As sad as I am to see my SLS go, it will be a nice change to mix it up with the rs and my 488