How tall is too tall? | FerrariChat

How tall is too tall?

Discussion in '308/328' started by TD in DC, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TD in DC

TD in DC Rookie

Sep 15, 2004
    I am just beginning to research classic Ferraris in contemplation of a purchase. At 6'2," should I simply forget 308s and 328s? I know that I need to go sit in the cars, but I am such a car nut that I fear I will convince myself that "it will work" if I like the car only to realize months later that I am not comfortable. Are 348s, 355s and 512s bigger?

Forgive me for the newbie questions.

TD in DC

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    This comes up often. Fact is everyone is different...some have longer legs, some longer midsection, others long necks.

BTW I am 6'3" and fit 'ok' in my 328.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This was always an issue for me as well, especially headroom. Got a Mondial 3.2 coupe and have lots of room everywhere with lots left over. Also fit in a Berlinetta Boxer. Others, well..., not as well.

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    6'3" and 245 lbs and fix well in my 77 GTB

5. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    I just went through the same thing recently before buying my 328. I am 6-2 190 lbs and fit ok. Legroom is pretty good.....but headroom is close. I just make it but am comfortable enough not to have a problem. I am not taking cross country roadtrips....just crusing around within an hour or so of the house. It works. Good luck.

6. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    I just went through the same thing recently before buying my 328. I am 6-2 190 lbs and fit ok. Legroom is pretty good.....but headroom is close. I just make it but am comfortable enough not to have a problem. I am not taking cross country roadtrips....just crusing around within an hour or so of the house. It works. Good luck.

7. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    6'2" 245 w/ no problem in my 328 gts. With top on sometimes I can feel my hair touch the roof panel. With panel stowed, the seat back doesn't go back far enough, therefore I'm a little taller in the seat.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

If you are comforatable in a Ferrari something is wrong!!

9. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    6'3" (180lbs)and plenty of room in my 308 and 348.

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    6'4 210#. All Ferraris are a bit cramped for me. But then again, I'm not driving one cross country, either. For rides of an hour or less, Ferraris work fine for me. Beyond that, forget it. However, my 348 seems to have just a bit more room than the 308 that I had, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

11. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    6'4" 220 36"inseam '83 308gts
    1st and Reverse are a challange although I have adopted a little thigh roll maneuver to accommodate. Steering wheel, thigh/knee, gear shift knob interference! 2nd thru 5th fine - especially at 7K! Top behind the seats sucks! Plenty of headroom with it on. It looks like I can gain about 3" of leg room if i can move the seat back on the track. The back would be more upright, but that's ok. I think with the additional 3" it would be perfect for me. I think I'll pull it off this winter and see. I heard they did this to the Magnum PI cars to fit Tom better - can not substantiate this however. Longest trip has been about an hour and a half and I was very comfy.
    Jim

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    6' 3", and after four days across America, I was tired....LOL!

13. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    I do not know exactly how tall I am in inches...
    Metric is 1.87, and I fit OK in my 328.
    Ton Visser is far taller than I am (1.92?) and he had no problems with his 328. 348 is anyway a little better.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

14. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I am 6'1 big frame (some would say fat) and I found a 328 GTB uncomfortable. I found the pedal offset severe, pedals too close together, knee hits the shifter, limited head/leg room, hard to get in and out off, and the sorriest AC I have seen on a car. That said......I would still consider getting one cause the thing was just beautiful! A red/tan Gtb is a work of art. I sat in a 355 and found it much more comfortable and I suspect the 348 is the same. Only problem is they are much more money to own and maintain.

15. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Used to be 5'10", but shrinking to that more Italian stature of 5'9". Fits fine, as it does my 6'0" wife.

Funny how the car makes my middle-age height shrinkage more acceptable.