Scud Gearbox Problem | FerrariChat

Scud Gearbox Problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by ahjayeson, Sep 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ahjayeson

ahjayeson Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    Hi all,

I just changed my clutch and related thrust bearing + F1 sensors.

I have a particular issue when shifting manually from 2nd gear to 3rd, especially near red line. The gearbox would not change up to 3rd and would stay in 2nd, and then subsequently automatically change to neutral. This only happens for 2nd to 3rd and not for all other gear shifts.

I have been advised to 'run in' the new clutch for the first 500km. Is it normal to experience this kind of issue that I encountered? Kindly advise and thank you!

2. ahjayeson

ahjayeson Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    Would greatly appreciate all comments/suggestions/advice from all the fellow Scud owners. Thanks!!

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Was the full setup procedure run after installation of the clutch? What process was followed exactly?

4. ahjayeson

ahjayeson Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    I didn't ask what exactly was the full procedure done, but I know that my mechanics did let the ECU (or was it TCU) do the self learning.

Can I know what exactly is the full setup procedure after a clutch change?

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There was no need to run a self learn, but if it hasn't been run for a while it won't harm.

The correct procedure for a clutch change is:

1) Clutch bleed
    2) DEIS
    3) Kiss point procedure

6. ahjayeson

ahjayeson Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    #6 ahjayeson, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Not sure if they did all these, but i suppose since its a fairly reputable workshop which deals with high end cars, should have done all these. Having said that, I was shown the PIS point at 3.5mm, hence item (3) should presumably be done.

Has anyone else experienced something like what my car is going through now? I am putting on the miles (just so that I have run in the 500km), so that I have done what my mechanic has told me. Still having the occasional 7k Rpm shifts which I am not supposed to, hoping that the 2nd to 3rd issue would not surface. But it still happens every now and then. So its quite frustrating for me at the moment.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    3.5 is in the right ballpark for a new clutch, however the tech should have bed in the new clutch before running the kiss point procedure. It does not take 500 miles, and it is not up to you. There are also other steps to follow before starting the procedure and there is a target engine temperature. If these are not followed you will have clutch control deficiencies.

What sensors were changed exactly? Potentiometers or clutch position?

8. ahjayeson

ahjayeson Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    Hi Guys,

Half a year gone and the problem is still persistant. Went to another workshop to give it another go, changed several sensors (sorry not sure which sensors were changed) again, and I still face intermittent 'mis-shifts' from 2nd to 3rd. I would change upshift from 2nd gear near to the red-line, and the gearbox would just stay in 2nd, before jumping to Neutral.

Does anyone driving a scud have similar problems? Thanks

9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I never had that issue. But if it still persists, drive it with a ferrari mechanic to let them see it.

But get a second opinion. Who did the repairs anyway? Is it a Ferrari dealer?

Anything can be diagnosed if it is reproducible. It may be costly though.

10. ahjayeson

ahjayeson Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    Not a Ferrari dealer as I didn't want to pay the F-tax for what I thought was a straightforward clutch change.

The problem is definitely reproducible, as almost 3 out of 10 hard shifts would be a mis-shift.

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Sounds as though you have ended up paying a different "tax."

12. ahjayeson

ahjayeson Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    Yes indeed! And the seat time that I lost just makes me feel like getting rid of the car

13. ahjayeson

ahjayeson Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    And so I went back to the workshop again, and these are the fault codes that they pulled out.

1) Relay drive Pump - P1781, Pump Pilotage relays stucked
    2) P1775, Gear Release Failed

So apparently the F1 pump relay is not working, and we changed one on the spot.

However, while on the way out, I tested the gearbox again and the result is still the same. I did a few runs and noticed this:

1) Whenever I was relatively gentle (on 70% - 80%) throttle, and let the revs build till 8k rpm or more, and changed to 3rd, I will get this mis-shift

2) However, if I floor the throttle 100% and shift, it goes into 3rd perfectly.

I did not go back to the workshop again after this round of testing, as I had something to attend to. Will be interesting what fault codes would surface.

Meanwhile, if anyone has experience with what I have gone through, kindly advise what I can do.

Cheers!