What Radar Detectors and Dashcams do you like for your 458/488? | FerrariChat

What Radar Detectors and Dashcams do you like for your 458/488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by misha, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. misha

misha Karting

Sep 13, 2017
    Hey guys,

Just curious what Radar Detectors and Dashcams you have had good experiences with? What's everyone using.

I have personal experience with neither, I live in the DC area but I don't drive in VA often, where Radar Detectors are illegal, other than to go to the dealer.

Any recommendations or tips for using either would be appreciated!

2. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    As with every car and bike forum you won't get ANY consensus. On detectors some swear by Paspport, an equal amount will tell you anything but a Valentine is wrong, and lastly a couple love their K40's. Use the search function, grab a snack and several beers and begin your research.

With dash cams there's simply too many factors to answer your question - do you want/ need 2ch (front and rear view) is size a consideration? Do you need/ want a screen or is your phone via blue tooth sufficient? Battery or capacitor? Night vision important? Do you want GPS and speed recorded? I could go on and on again search this or any car forum you'll get tons of opinions and little consensus

3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Unless you have a jammer, no laser detector will do you any good... if the LEO is using lidar, by the time your device warns you, it's already too late. In your area, almost all LEO use LIDAR and have backed away from radar, which had a wide dispersion pattern... hence radar detectors were very good in those days. In DC, there is hardly anywhere for you to speed, either there's extreme traffic, or pothole/pedestrian at every corner.

Your best bet is to use Waze and make sure bluetooth streaming is enabled on your device, giving you an audible warning, but that's still not 100% as the officer can be at their position moments before you show up.

4. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    ALP + Waze

Everything else is second rate

5. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Agree ALP is tops for Laser. I have a Radenso, V1 and the new Uniden R3. If you really want to go deep on this subject check out Votex's web site or YouTube channel, clearly THE expert in the U.S. He even does one on one consulting.

P.S. he even test for detectability by LEO

6. KasedyT

KasedyT Karting

Aug 23, 2006
    NY
    It's actually Vortex and the website is VortexRadar.com Plus he has an excellent YouTube channel....just type in Vortex Radar