So, What's Everyone Gonna Do about the front license plate thing? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So, What's Everyone Gonna Do about the front license plate thing?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Bob in Texas, Sep 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well the toe hook bracket arrived tonight from formula dynamics in NV. Usually I'm happy about a ferrari part arriving in the mail. I can say I'm completely underwhelmed with this addition.
    It's sitting in the box. I'll post a couple pics in a day or so when I try it out
    It looks like it could affect air flow into the left air intake. Glad summer is almost over.

Good luck Jeff

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I have used out-of-state plates since 1984, in 5 different states. Never been hassled for them.

3. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    If I can, this is the way to go...However I've been out of the military for a few years, and Im no longer an out of state property owner.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #30 Bob in Texas, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    I tried fitting the toe-hook bracket tonight. Toe hook = no hook. The rod that is supposed to fit into the bracket on the car does not thread. It goes in about 1/2 turn and that's it. I tried the the OEM toe hook and it threads fine.

I think this is an omen from the license plate gods.

Update formula dynamics says ferrari used 2 different thread patterns, fine and coarse. I took a pic and sent it to them. Looks like the toe hook is fine and the license plate rod is coarse. Nothing is ever easy...
    Still hate the look...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...a spring and simple bracket costs $120 (add $70 powder coating) - absurd - only Ferrari owners would fall for that. For that price I would expect a 3D holographic projection of my front license plate not something looks like a cheap Home Depot bracket, just looks wrong on a high end car.

7. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think you may be on to something...

To Dr. Brown's lab we go!!!!!

8. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the heads up, Bob. I'll let everyone know how mine plays out once it arrives in a couple of days. :/

9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #34 Bob in Texas, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Butt ugly... but legal

I might try the Fabspeed bracket, it mounts to the front undertray with existing screws and centers the plate on the bumper
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Same problem here, Bob.
    I get about two turns in and that's it. The bar can then bounce around and hit my grill fins. No go.

I checked and my tow hook threads fine. I then placed the two against one another and the threads of the two appear to be pitched the same. I'm wondering if the issue is that the FD post is slightly too large? In any case, if I can't use it, it's going back. Pointless otherwise. :(

11. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Do what i ended up doing. At the suggestion of FD, I used a narrow blade chisel (they said a file) and followed the curve to open up the threads. The first several were kinda closed. Then I took a pair of pliers and used them to turn the rod in the bracket. It was pretty tight at first but it screwed in.

I pulled it out after about 1/2 way and then made sure the toe hook still worked (it did). Then I put the license plate rod back in.

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    So sorry to see Bob. That's just... sad. I have the same kind of tow hook mount on one car, but the other I refuse to mount a front plate.

13. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks Bob! Followed your steps this afternoon and was able to get the post in (a little Liquid Wrench also seemed to help). Hate how it looks with a front plate, but at least we're within the law.

14. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Bob I have the Fabspeed under tray bracket and I didn't like it because in my opinion it looks like the car is a Fauxrari not a Ferrari. So I took it off and will gladly pay the State fine.

15. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Stuart,

If they can see that you don't have a front license plate, you are clearly going too slow :)

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    4 years later people still have concerns? We have 8+ cars and only 1 truck with a front plate. In 20 years have never received a warning, ticket, or anything related to front plate. Concern over this has been blown out forever.

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ +1 Get a Carbonio no-drill front plate mount for your F-car, chuck it in the boot, and practice your best "OMG, I'm so sorry, I took it off to clean the car and forgot to put it back on officer!" for the 1 in a million chance you get pulled over...T

rob lay likes this.
  18. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Never run a front plate for 15+ years. I have only been ticketed for it once (it was added to a speeding ticket).

I had to take a photo of it on the car + pay a $5 administration fee. I literally held the plate infront of the car and took a picture without showing my fingers. Bam. Done.