What's For Dinner? | Page 268 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No prob. After your post, I did a little experimenting on posting pics with the new format. Hadn't noticed the option to go large or thumb nail before you mentioned it. Thanks.

T

2. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Smoked whitefish from Costco. What to do? Made it into a mousse - sour cream, a little mayo, and all the horseradish I had in the house.

Used a stick blender, even though I was very assiduous in removing the flesh fu from the carcass, to make it into a mousse, mainly because I have a pathological fear of fish bones in my food. Egg shells too.

Anywho, it was good on a homemade cracker. Better with a jolt of sriracha. :)

T

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Awesome. Wash that down with a Jarritos Tutifruti and you're living like a king for pauper money! One of the best things about living in Texas is that these kind of places are pretty abundant, and generally pretty good, especially if you have a pickup truck and can use the tailgate as a picnic table...T

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    After eating out three nights in a row, , dang work, it's back to basics with a good salad - iceberg, red onions, red bell pepper, hearts of palm, yummy thick cut bacon from Costco, and a hard boiled egg. Topped with homemade strawberry balsamic vinaigrette and a sprinkle of parmesan...T

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Okay, that looks like something I would love to eat. Recipe?

9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Serious cooking with fire!

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good pasta. Simple, quality ingredients. Hard to beat.

Did you get your free cup of ice water at Wall Drug?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

My latest culinary invention. When there is no pizza dough. Ladies and gentleman, the tortizza!! Use a tortilla. Bake about 7- 10 min at 350 to crisp it up a bit, cover with toppings. Bake until cooked. Knee is margherita, other is smoked salmon a la Wolfgang Puck.

Enjoyed with an old school Lite Beer. Not sure why it has upside down. I swear it was my first.

T

12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Funny... no cup of water. Crazy place. Quick walk around, didn't scratch the surface, got some touristy things then took off.
    Good looking pizza!

13. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Great dishes, you guys!

I haven't checked in for a while, but I'm pleased to see Tom posting pictures directly :).

As for Wall Drug, what a coincidence! I was just there last week, passing through on my way back from Road America. Man, that Wall Drug is a hell of a tourist trap, but fun!

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's definitely fun. I'm using Web interface more since the F-chat upgrade, so uploading pictures seems easier from web than Tapatalk app. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Yet another invention - meatball soup! Had some turkey meatballs in the freezer. Some chicken broth. Tomato paste. Diced up an onion, celery and turnip from the crisper. Usual spices. Voila! Not as good as my grandmother's "Italian wedding soup". Needed more garlic. Turnips kind of overpowered the rest of the flavors. But, a little parmesan cheese and a generous jolt of hot sauce solved that problem! ;)
    T

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    LOL. I made a last minute decision to cook some steaks over the weekend but I didn't have the extra 2 hours to sous vide them. I felt almost paralyzed with fear at the grill for a second when I started to "conventionally" cook them but it all came back to me. :D :D

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This thread makes me hungry. Guess its burgers on the grill for me tonight. My wife likes to do bleu cheese burgers and I will add some of my green chili from Hatch to round it out. We put the bleu cheese then cover it with a slice of muenster. Hopefully I remember to take photos tonight.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Use the Force, Darth. You can do it.

T

darth550 likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Back seat chef-ing here!

I'd go with something like cheddar with the Hatch chiles. For blue cheese, two strips of the thickest, most peppery bacon you can find.

T

19. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi guys

Approximately based on what we threw in there, you have to constantly taste and adjust to your liking.

Thai Beef Salad (Double, triple quadruple etc. depending on salad sizes and level of Thai-ness you like - we still have leftover sauce).

Sauce
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    1.5 tablespoons sesame oil
    3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
    Heaping teaspoon palm sugar
    Glove of garlic minced up
    Tablespoon of fresh ginger shredded/grated

Salad:
    Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Chilis
    Cilantro
    Mint
    Basil
    Crushed peanuts
    Red onion

Beef: whatever you like, trim fat
    Pour some sauce over meat to marinate for an hour, the rest goes on salad to taste, store the remainder.

Cook meat grill or pan or whatever, slice and enjoy on salad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  20. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I attempted to make chicken-and-rice the other night. It came out ok but was more soupy than I really wanted. Simple enough, toss some chicken in water with a few vegetables, sort of like starting soup or stock. After cooking for 2-3 hours take the chicken out and throw some rice in and cook until basically over done. It breaks the rice down and it becomes creamy. Throw the de-boned chicken back in and dinner time. I was winging it with amounts of rice and stock though so it came out a little soupy. I let it cook a little longer to thicken up but then the rice really blew out and it became almost like a porridge. Still tasty though and several meals worth.

21. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

22. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I just did another round of homemade fries in the deep fryer. This time, I use peanut oil. Can’t say that I can tell much of a difference from olive oil like I used to use.

Just as I was a about to wrap things up, I decided to take a chance and deep fry a slice of pizza hut pan pizza I had left over from last night. Sausage and extra cheese. I mean, why not? Poor little bastard. Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Friends, I don’t recommend anyone do this. It is soooo good, But soooo bad for you. It is like carnival food. I’ll just leave it at that.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You could make a mint at the Texas state fair's with your deep frying prowess!

Tonight, we kept it simple. A little caprese salad. Good French wine.

T