FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 455 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    Here

Attached Files:

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

This is excellent. Thank you.

Acacg likes this.
  3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The unique differences on this GTO versus a standard production GTO are that it was a single-mirror (Monospecchio) example using a Vitaloni unit on the driver's door, the Prancing Horse badge is a chromed-finish item and placed on the left-hand-side of the rear panel, a "288" badge is on the right-hand-side of the rear panel, the central part of the lower rear valance has been deleted, a test exhaust system is in place, and Pirelli P7 tires are in use.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Joe how about sharing a picture from a different angle! This car looked much nicer than the ugly finish on the mostly black and red Testarossa prototype from a similar period in time.
    That is a lot of technical detail about this GTO from just the back view in the picture. Though the P7 tread does stand out, now that you mention it.

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you for this.

I've embedded your images in full size below.

I have the authoritative and well-researched Jurgen Lewandowski book published in the period, and I read it before I published my own book. There is no doubt in my mind now that you have jogged my memory, that this is my source.

Now that I have reviewed the material more closely, I do belive Lewandowski's assertion that a carbureted F114-A GTO engine (production engines were F114-B injection units) did in fact exist, based on his detailed data, text, specific illustration of the aforementioned engine, and identification of the carb GTO specifically as chassis number, 44725.

"44725 GT - The first prototype and the only 288 GTO with a carburettor engine. Four Solex twin carburettors, KKK turbocharger, ZF transmission. Wheelbase 2340 mm: the only 'short-wheelbase' GTO".

Where is 44725 today, does it still exist as 288 GTO, and if so, does it still have the F114-A Solex carburetor engine?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Single Vitaloni door mirror in evidence.

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Thank You!
    and a 'red' front bumper instead of the production black version of the bumper.

Acacg likes this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I just checked and the Jurgen Lewandowski book was published in 1987 just after production had ended when critical corroborating material was readily available and memories were fresh, in fact, he was afforded all the factory DGM illustrations for the car as his book clearly shows, so we know he was direct with the source.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Excellent Joe, for almost every rule there is an exception to that rule...

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Speaking of exceptions to the rule, in recent times, a number of assertions I have made in the past have been disputed by others for one reason or another, whatever the case, I've always tried to go to not inconsiderable lengths to ensure that anything I assert here is as close to accurate as possible. I guess, this is turning out to be self-evident as the assertions I have made are upon review proving to have been made on a solid basis.

I'll just say on behalf of all of us that it often pays to have an open mind and corroborate from multiple sources.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Joe I do have that blueprint page. In 30 years I never realized it was folded up and tucked under the dust jacket at the back of the book! Thank you yet again.

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Amen to that.

Acacg likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    How does that 288 GTO above compare with the ex. Swaters GTO?

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Condition-wise, similarly nice, although the Lauda GTO has peerless historical significance.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Didn't the Lauda GTO undergo 'reconditioning' of some kind at the factory ? I must have read it on here, but don't fully recall.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, @ Classiche Maranello, it received a full mechanical recommissioning, cosmetics are as Lauda received it.

19. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    Did you guys noticed the prancing horse on the left looks like it's over a glue line of another emblem? Looks like the vertical prancing horse emblem mounted on every Ferrari front nose. Also notice on these that the production horse emblem are black. Anybody?

of2worlds likes this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The rear panel that holds the tail lights is from a 308 and has the characteristic indentation to hold a euro spec lic plate. For the 308 it uses the silver horse in that location on the left side. There may have been some trial of using a different emblem on the left side and that left an outline on the paint when it was pulled off.
    Also because it is a 308 panel the tail lights sit out further from the body than the final solution with the unique GTO rear panel. Since the lic plate is mounted on the rear bumper the central indentation of the panel is not required. The numeral "288" emblem is a unique component as it didn't make it onto the production GTO.
    The pictured 308 GTB shows the body design differences compared to a production model GTO> Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #11371 of2worlds, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Ferrari used the model emblem like GTB and GTS along with a numeral like 308 or 328 consistently on this series so typically you would get the numeral 288 as well for the GTO model. Ferrari ordered thousands of these same emblems. When it came time to order a relatively small amount of the "288" emblems perhaps Ferrari balked at the higher cost for a emblem of limited use to them. Ferrari simply didn't order any "288" emblems for the production GTO models.
    Also the prototype has different more upright style for the GTO lettering than the production model received.

Acacg likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Always noted this, as shown on the 1st page of this thread.

of2worlds and Acacg like this.
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Note lower rear valance side-marker.

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Those big side marker lights are nasty looking. Especially compared to the discreet narrow style of lights fitted in the black horizontal groove between the body panels on some other federalized GTO.