Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 285 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Your QV will get pummeled by an SE. If you'd like, I offer up racing my SV to show you how badly, and my SV is slightly slower than an SE.

According to the article, they averaged road tests from both cars, then compared the 2.

Back in the day when I had my first lowly F/I Countach , we had a track day at Moroso in Palm Beach. I was fortunate to do several pulls with a 288 GTO, and it seemed that each time the Countach would initially pull, but when the 288 came on boost it would stay glued to the Countachs bumper. These were short pulls we did... 2nd and 3rd gear. Personally I think as speeds increase, the GTO would have the advantage.

2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Your description of the Countach versus Gto fits my impression well, like i said,the Countach felt quicker,out of the hole, but never had a chance to go past lets say, 130mph, At that point ,GTO might get a slight advantage, not shure, hopefully Joe gets this dd /gto comparo going. Very exiting.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No thanks, pass, I have no interest "racing" anything of another generation or era, it serves no purposeful conclusion, I prefer a more relevant same-era performance comparison, and if I am to dedicate not inconsiderable time & resources to that end, it'll be controlled testing at an appropriate venue using un-modified standard production cars, this means comparing a Downdraft with a standard production Fuelie, or, the ultimate same-era Lamborghini vs Ferrari comparo, the also-FIA Homologated 288 GTO. The latter appeals to me because the result would actually mean something significant in the grand scheme of things as far as Supercars of the 80s are concerned.

Besides, I think the Mimran Downdraft has retired from it's Diablo racing days as its been there and done that, if I recall correctly, it fared very favorably against several of them on the track a few years ago @ the Viva Italia event on the Tourist Trophy Circuit in Assen (NL), the details escape me now but perhaps Raymond who was driving will have something to say about that. Not that this serves any purposeful conclusion, of course!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It always takes a while to accomplish my various projects because I like to do things to a certain standard, this means there will be many challenges, but let's say that things are in the works.

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I want your job. :)

6. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Performance differences between the stock USA and Euro models have been established since the day these cars came out. I'm not sure why owners still gripe over this when we have factory issued information on the matter.

All USA spec vehicles INCLUDING the 930 Turbo, F40, Testarossa, Jalpa, LM002, Diablo, SE30, 911, Biturbo, QPIII, etc were made to be compliant at the expense of performance. What would actually be of interest is seeing a QV with an unrestricted exhaust system open its legs.

I completely agree that testing a newer model against its predecessor is redundant. It would be amazing however to see the QV and GTO go up against each other in a controlled environment. This would undoubtedly be the most exciting test in recent times, it's great that someone like Joe has the knowledge and means to organize it.

7. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Sure I do recall, I passed some diablos (f.e. VT Roadster) on the straight line...
    http://www.countach.ch/vivaitalia.html
    http://www.countach.ch/vivaitalia2003.html

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7108 joe sackey, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    It's really just a hobby!

Thank you.

I always prefer to try and advance meaningful knowledge and take things to a new level which benefits the community, so rest assured, whatever I do, it will be both relevant & enlightening. FWIW the Downdraft vs GTO comparo makes sense to me not just because they are a natural comparison or 2 of my favorite Italian cars, but I have plenty of experience with both.

I'm not surprised.

9. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia

yes, Joe
    this post was not intended to discredit the QV
    more intended to show the QV was still around the same time as a diablo on 400 meters (similar to quarter mile test). that is very good imo, considering the car is 5 / 6 years older than a diablo and was very much old tech

Of course after that the power advantage and much better aero come to work the diablo being much faster Vs the QV on the standing Kms etc

this site is very interesting:
    the numbers are taken from period real road tests, my understanding is average on more than one tests, so a pretty good indicator of what good cars could do when new.

and here it is the QV Vs 288 GTO
    the GTO looks to be quicker all around, not by a wide margin but the full second on the 1000 meters is a considerable difference

http://www.zeperfs.com/duel972-1000.htm

10. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #7110 EMILIO, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    with all respect, Raymond
    people on this kind of "lamborghini" or "ferrari" track event, drives the car VERY differently
    i know of many lambo owners never drove their lamborghini on the track and often have NEVER driven any other car at the track
    and i know many that really not push their cars 100% EVEN on the straight line ...it is just they love them too much LOL

so why i do not doubt your words, i am sure you pushed the Minram/Stofer to its limit 100% while i think some diablo drivers may have been a bit light on the loud pedal. Also to be noted the speed you and they exit from a corner helps a lot in gaining speed in the next straight line

ijvpet and Graphicar like this.
  11. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Emilio, I'm racing since 2004 officially, I know all these Details.
    I can tell you from my memory that the Diablo drivers pushed there cars as well, also keep in mind that a 1999 Diablo has much better brakes than a 1986 QV...

Anyway i't not a question if this or that car was faster, that time I had also hardly any experience on a race track.
    What was always a fact, Ms Chianti was always able to keep up with Diablos and Gallardos up to speeds where aerodynamics didn't play a important role.

12. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

this is a road test of the famous (factory tuned engine) Pierluigi Martini Quattrovalvole carburatori, performed in period by Automobilismo magazine
    wingless car

printed results:
    400 meters in 13.1
    1000 meters in 23.4
    0-100 Kmh in 5.1
    top speed 280.3 kmh (" but engine still felt vital" they said)

you can see Martini side by side with his red QV in one picture :)
    i have been told by a reputable source Martini recently tried to buy this car back

View attachment 2448660 View attachment 2448661 View attachment 2448662 View attachment 2448660 View attachment 2448661 View attachment 2448662

13. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia

that's my point

just a little track experience makes a lot of difference, racing experience a TON

14. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
  15. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Viva Italia I participated 2002 and 2003, I begun to race 2004... 2002 was the first time on a track, perhaps I had some hidden talents...

16. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    entirely possible
    i heard you do very good on this kind of events

17. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Agreed.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No worries, I didn't think for a moment that your post was anything but being informative.

That said, the "tests" appear to be data extrapolation, not an actual comparison test.

When Road & Track magazine did the real thing in 1987, the Downdraft was faster than the GTO, in fact, the resultant data was:
    Downdraft > 0-60 in 4.7 secs, 0-100 in 10.8 secs, 1/4 mile in 12.9 secs, top speed 179 mph.
    288 GTO > 0-60 in 5.0 secs, 0-100 in 11 secs, 1/4 mile in 14.1 secs, top speed 179 mph.

See below.

I have extensive experience in both cars as an owner of both and I must say that the GTO only feels quick when it's on-boost.

Raymond, as someone who has actually driven the Mimran Downdraft, I believe you 100%, in fact, dare I say it here, Valentino Balboni commented on the prodigious power of the car's engine after driving it all day for the film shoot. That said, we may be talking about a car that has something extra.

Fantastic!

Finally an image of Piero with his Downdraft, thank you for sharing this.

Given the potential of this Downdraft after the factory blueprinted it's engine and supplied it for the Peter Dron Fast Lane magazine test, I think Piero drove it gently for Automobilisimo magazine, and the top speed comment "but the engine still felt vital" belies the fact that the testing was done at a venue that was less than optimum for terminal velocity.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    EMILIO likes this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    "The Countach has no luggage space".

Another myth debunked, thank you Harry.

BTW we need to speak about that bamboo stick being used as a trunk-lid prop, it's not authorized in the bylaws of the Downdraft Owners Club...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. It's been a fair amount of work for Rob, and it's not 100% sorted, but is an improvement. Site traffic & content, in this section anyways, "feels" like it is increasing almost daily.

23. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    Duffel bags were invented for Italian exotic car owners.
    Compromise without thinking you are compromising. That's what I tell the wife....lol

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Emilio, in my haste, I missed this piece of interesting information.

If you have access to him via your source, you should ask him about the test with Peter Dron, and at the very least have him sign your copy of the September 1986 issue of Fast Lane!

FWIW he is not the only 80s F1 pilot who has realized how special the Supercars of the 80s were, I can tell you Niki Lauda would love to have his GTO back.

In more recent times in this portrait of 80s F1 heroes, Martini is 2nd from right, of course the man behind the wheel of the Ferrari F1 car also had a Downdraft.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Raymond, I'm not sure EE.426.AK was Piero's car.

Unless the factory were plate-swapping Escursionisti Esteri plates on multiple cars, which I suppose is possible, given that we can see EE.426.AK variously with silver (below) and then with gold wheels in the Sport Auto test, of course wheels can be swapped too.

That said, I note from the magazine Automobilismo D'Epoca that Piero's car's EE plates appear to be EE.xx2.AK as best as I can make out.

Anyone know more?